Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-09, 12:24 PM   #1
no motor?
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 5,039
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Can I use an ipod without itunes?

I received an ipod shuffle as a gift, and am in the process of loading music on it. I've got enough music already, and don't plan on buying anymore from the Itunes store. From what I can tell, Apple wants a credit card number to register the ipod and allow me to download music to it. Is there anyway around this?
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 12:26 PM   #2
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me
 
DallasSoxFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ebay the shuffle, get a Sansa Clip. Use the leftover money to buy some tubes.
DallasSoxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 12:30 PM   #3
Lord Chaos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You should be able to use the Ipod as a USB drive. Just hook it up and drag the music files to it when it appears. Note that I don't have one so can't test this, but I have read of people using these as drives.
Lord Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 12:31 PM   #4
msincredible
crazy bike girl
 
msincredible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: CA Central Coast
Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)
Posts: 3,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You have to use itunes software (free) to load music onto your ipod. You don't have to use the itunes store.

Been a while since I bought a new ipod but I don't remember ever having to give a cc#.
__________________
Countries I've ridden in: US, Canada, Ireland, UK, Germany, Netherlands, France, China, Singapore, Malaysia
States I've ridden in: Illinois, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, California, Nevada, Missouri, Colorado
msincredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 12:35 PM   #5
zac
Just ride
 
zac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lowell, MA
Bikes: I just ride them, they own me.
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
I received an ipod shuffle as a gift, and am in the process of loading music on it. I've got enough music already, and don't plan on buying anymore from the Itunes store. From what I can tell, Apple wants a credit card number to register the ipod and allow me to download music to it. Is there anyway around this?
Yes you are fine. All you need is the iTunes application on your PC. You don't need the ITS if you so choose not to use it.

Don't enter any CC information and continue to click through or cancel out. Turn off the iTunes Store (by unchecking all the boxes under the Store section) in the Preferences, you may also want to turn off the Genius too. Certain features require an ITS account, but as far I am aware you can sign up for an iTunes Store account without any CC information provided.

HTH
zac
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 12:36 PM   #6
no motor?
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 5,039
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasSoxFan View Post
Ebay the shuffle, get a Sansa Clip. Use the leftover money to buy some tubes.
It was a gift from someone I see often enough for them to know I did that, but I like that idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chaos View Post
You should be able to use the Ipod as a USB drive. Just hook it up and drag the music files to it when it appears. Note that I don't have one so can't test this, but I have read of people using these as drives.
I tired that and couldn't get that to work either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msincredible View Post
You have to use itunes software (free) to load music onto your ipod. You don't have to use the itunes store.

Been a while since I bought a new ipod but I don't remember ever having to give a cc#.
That worked, thanks!
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 12:39 PM   #7
msincredible
crazy bike girl
 
msincredible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: CA Central Coast
Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)
Posts: 3,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
That worked, thanks!
__________________
Countries I've ridden in: US, Canada, Ireland, UK, Germany, Netherlands, France, China, Singapore, Malaysia
States I've ridden in: Illinois, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, California, Nevada, Missouri, Colorado
msincredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 12:57 PM   #8
annc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chaos View Post
You should be able to use the Ipod as a USB drive. Just hook it up and drag the music files to it when it appears. Note that I don't have one so can't test this, but I have read of people using these as drives.
Although the ipod can be used as usb drive, ipod firmware looks for the music files in a certain (hidden) directory. Also the files must be organized and indexed in a certain way so loading the files can't be done manually. There are third party software such as Anapod and PodUtil that you can use to manage music on your ipod if can't or won't iTunes.
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 12:59 PM   #9
mirona
I can't find my pants
 
mirona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: UMASS, Amherst/ Swick, MA
Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH
Posts: 2,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You don't need itunes to load music on your ipod. I use floola. It's free.
mirona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 01:22 PM   #10
HawkOwl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 2,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
There are several pieces of software you can use to load music on your iPod without iTunes. Do a Google and pick whichever one suits you.

For future flexibility you may want to reformat your music into MP3 or 4 instead of the Apple format. With that you can drag/drop your tunes most anywhere on anything.
HawkOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 01:29 PM   #11
annc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
There are several pieces of software you can use to load music on your iPod without iTunes. Do a Google and pick whichever one suits you.

For future flexibility you may want to reformat your music into MP3 or 4 instead of the Apple format. With that you can drag/drop your tunes most anywhere on anything.
The "Apple format" (a.k.a AAC), is the audio layer in mpeg4.
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 01:30 PM   #12
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keep in mind that "iTunes" and the "iTunes Music Store" are two different things.

The iTunes music management software existed long before there was a store.

And yes, it's possible to use an iPod without either one. I use an iPod with an operating system for which iTunes does not even exist.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 01:51 PM   #13
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sure you can....mine holds papers down on the desk perfectly well, without using iTunes.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 05:01 PM   #14
availpunk9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use yamipod. Good stuff.
availpunk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 05:51 PM   #15
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
I use an iPod with an operating system for which iTunes does not even exist.
And that's supposed to make you hot stuff or something? Hmph.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 06:16 PM   #16
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
And that's supposed to make you hot stuff or something? Hmph.
Maybe back when such a feat was a royal pain in the ass, but these days it's stupid-easy, so I claim no skill in making it work.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 10:21 PM   #17
HawkOwl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 2,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
The "Apple format" (a.k.a AAC), is the audio layer in mpeg4.
Be that as it may; MP3 works on just about all players. Apple doesn't. Use the general format for maximum flexibility with Your music.
HawkOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 07:46 AM   #18
dragracer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my new 8gb Sansa Clip...$49. A guy I work with uses "Media Monkey" with his ipod and says he really likes it.
dragracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 12:35 PM   #19
aadhils
Bike Junkie
 
aadhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Bikes: Orange Brompton M3L; Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange)
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hopefully I'll be buying a new 16gb ipod nano (that also records video) soon
aadhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 12:55 PM   #20
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
Keep in mind that "iTunes" and the "iTunes Music Store" are two different things.

The iTunes music management software existed long before there was a store.

And yes, it's possible to use an iPod without either one. I use an iPod with an operating system for which iTunes does not even exist.
when I grow up, I wanna be just like x136.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 03:51 PM   #21
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
when I grow up,
Don't ever do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
I wanna be just like x136.
Don't ever do that.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 04:09 PM   #22
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
when I grow up, I wanna be just like x136.
When I devolve I wanna be like jsharr.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:20 PM.