Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member Snicklefritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
    Posts
    3,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    random weird eye stuff

    I don't know what made this pop into my head, but way back in grad school there was one student in my department who had strange eye stuff going on. All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, her eyeballs would move at a really high frequency from left to right and back again. It was fast enough to make me wonder if it would have been an effect of drugs or something. It didn't seem to me that a person could intentionally make their eyes move that fast. I guess this came up because I was talking with my brother about tests that cops do for BAC one of which involves looking at a person's eye movements as they look off to one side...

  2. #2
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snicklefritz View Post
    I don't know what made this pop into my head, but way back in grad school there was one student in my department who had strange eye stuff going on. All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, her eyeballs would move at a really high frequency from left to right and back again. It was fast enough to make me wonder if it would have been an effect of drugs or something. It didn't seem to me that a person could intentionally make their eyes move that fast. I guess this came up because I was talking with my brother about tests that cops do for BAC one of which involves looking at a person's eye movements as they look off to one side...
    I had a friend whose eyes did that even since he was young. It's a condition.

    As for BAC tests, as you get to the extreme ends of your eye movements, if you have a high enough BAC, your eyes twitch. Try doing it to a drunk friend. Have him or her follow the tip of your finger. Hold it when they are at the very edge of the movement and watch their eyes.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,682
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nystagmus. This disorder is characterized by an irregular, side-to-side involuntary eye movement that may be side-to-side, up and down or rotary. Although people with nystagmus do not sense that their eyes are moving, this disorder does make it more difficult to focus on visual details.

    It is not uncommon in people who have albinism, but not restricted to albinos.

  4. #4
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in addition to nystagmus, it could be a seizure of some type. Not all seizures are grande mal.

  5. #5
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Could also be possessed by evil spirits. just saying.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  6. #6
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    Could also be possessed by evil spirits. just saying.
    Is that what happens to your eyes?

  7. #7
    Free @coasting RUOkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In a Haggard Song
    My Bikes
    2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500
    Posts
    9,715
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    Is that what happens to your eyes?
    No, his eyes bleed and then shoot flames out of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
    Being full of crap and depositing it here consistently is really nothing to be proud of.

  8. #8
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
    No, his eyes bleed and then shoot flames out of them.
    A scientific explanation just to clarify...those flames are being fueled by all the methane he produces....

  9. #9
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    A scientific explanation just to clarify...those flames are being fueled by all the methane he produces....
    Ignited by friction and his flinty stare...
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  10. #10
    JF1
    JF1 is offline
    Senior Member JF1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaysville, Utah
    My Bikes
    2006 Giant OCR 3 Composite
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get this occasionally when I am really tired and am trying to read. It started while in college but now I can pretty much do it on command. I freak out my daughter's friends when I meet them.
    J
    Good times.

  11. #11
    K2ProFlex baby! ilikebikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
    My Bikes
    to many to list
    Posts
    6,096
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
    Nystagmus. This disorder is characterized by an irregular, side-to-side involuntary eye movement that may be side-to-side, up and down or rotary. Although people with nystagmus do not sense that their eyes are moving, this disorder does make it more difficult to focus on visual details.

    It is not uncommon in people who have albinism, but not restricted to albinos.
    I had a "friend" that had Nystagmus, hers eyes were constantly going left to right, really fast! she told me that it didn't affect her vision at all! It was really cool when it came to "fun time!"
    You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •