Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Windows XP reformatting cd. Where do I find one?? (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/588091-windows-xp-reformatting-cd-where-do-i-find-one.html)

Bikernator 09-24-09 01:39 PM

Windows XP reformatting cd. Where do I find one??
 
So I figured I'd post my first foo thread with something i really need. Since my laptop committed suicide again, and won't let me start it up in any way in any mode, i figure i'd just reformat it again. i lost my Windows XP cd (the one computers just come with to reformat it) since the last reformat in January, and the place i got it before (the IT desk at my school) no longer has a way of getting them. so how in the hell do i get this thing?? it seems i could get ahold of a nuclear warhead easier than i can get one of these.

Called Microsoft and they told me to talk to the computer manufacturer. Okay. Called Dell and they are the worst company ive ever had to deal with for anything. hung up on twice after wandering around the ridiculous automated directory, each time around the 8 minute mark. they want to charge me $159 just to talk to a technician since my computer's out of date.

So can anyone here help me?? a way to get one?? send me an old/extra one?? maybe by providing me with the service tag of a dell computer still under warranty so i can penetrate their iron-clad wall of defense which keeps me from in any way talking to a human being. The cd is just he one i can boot my computer from to totally wipe out everything and start from scratch to get rid of whatever killed my computer. Thanks for the help. and sorry, i just hate things like this....

KingTermite 09-24-09 01:42 PM

Just so you know....if you bought a DELL that came with Windows XP and have a key (usually on a sticker on the laptop), getting a copy of Windows XP is NOT illegal. You are legally allowed to copy a Windows XP disc.

So if you can find somebody local who has one, you can get them to make a copy and it is legit as long as you use YOUR CD-key when you install.

bigbenaugust 09-24-09 01:50 PM

By the way, this is Foo. The discussion must now go offtopic.

But KT is right.

Wordbiker 09-24-09 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTermite (Post 9736677)
Just so you know....if you bought a DELL that came with Windows XP and have a key (usually on a sticker on the laptop), getting a copy of Windows XP is NOT illegal. You are legally allowed to copy a Windows XP disc.

So if you can find somebody local who has one, you can get them to make a copy and it is legit as long as you use YOUR CD-key when you install.

You can just borrow the CD and reformat too. Make sure it's the same version (Pro, Home, etc.).

Bikernator 09-24-09 02:01 PM

Interesting. I did not know that. The problem remains in the fact that i seem to be the 'poor guy' in the group, and everyone has moved on to Macs or vista, i really cannot find one at all... Is that my only logical hope?? No chance from the corporate bastards??

Wordbiker 09-24-09 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikernator (Post 9736810)
Interesting. I did not know that. The problem remains in the fact that i seem to be the 'poor guy' in the group, and everyone has moved on to Macs or vista, i really cannot find one at all... Is that my only logical hope?? No chance from the corporate bastards??

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Full-WINDOWS...d=p3286.c0.m14

HardyWeinberg 09-24-09 02:17 PM

A local shop here is selling oem XP discs relatively cheap, I guess they still have a bunch left over or whatever. Have to buy a cable or something along w/ the disc to make it legit(-ish)

bicyclejade 09-24-09 02:28 PM

You can download Windows XP through a thing called "Torrents". Or so I'm told.

Rob P. 09-24-09 02:56 PM

OK, this is Foo but I'm still wondering WHY anyone would go through this again. There are much better (and more fun) ways to flog yourself that trying to resuscitate a dying Windows machine.

I just downloaded Ubuntu and loaded it onto an old desktop I have from back in 2000. A FREE O/S is hard to refuse. Especially if it makes old hardware usable again. And, doesn't need an anti-virus. And, doesn't crash. And, there are lots of FREE software programs for home and business use. AND, did I mention it's FREE with FREE upgrades as they are released?

There's a laptop version as well.

Installing Ubuntu took me around 4 hours from start to finish while working at another PC doing work-type stuff. I had to use the "alternate CD" installer as the graphic one wouldn't recognize the CD the disk was in during the install. But, it was simple enough to DL the alternate CD installer and burn it to a disk and use that instead. Once installed I had to find out why no internet connection. That was a bad cable to my router but once I fixed that I was up and running and on the 'net. Even have email already set up.

Ubuntu looks and feels like Windows. ONLY difference in that Windows has the task bar at the bottom and Ubuntu has it both top and bottom and instead of a START button, Ubuntu uses drop-down menus like on your browser.

Do some reading about how to download the OS and burn it to a CD. It's NOT like burning a normal CD and requires a small DL program called "Infra recorder" to do it right. Save both to your desktop, install & open the recorder, burn the OS at the lowest speed, and you're done when the drive pops open. Delete the 2 programs from your desktop and empty the trash to get your disk space back. Use the CD to boot the laptop and install the new operating system.

It really IS that easy.

Wordbiker 09-24-09 03:33 PM

Why isd it whenever someone asks a Windows-specific question, the answer is always Ubuntu?

Is the answer to parenting issues to get a dog?

jsharr 09-24-09 03:33 PM

Do dogs eat Ubuntu?

HardyWeinberg 09-24-09 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wordbiker (Post 9737407)
Is the answer to parenting issues to get a dog?

Selecting the right sheepdog could definitely get you a suitable lieutenant for some of the thornier discipline/herding issues.

RUOkie 09-24-09 03:46 PM

Please do not make Ubuntu angry!

bicyclejade 09-24-09 03:53 PM

Ubuntu sucks for ANY office related work.

OpenOffice is absolute garbage.

crispy010 09-24-09 03:58 PM

edited.

OP, expect a PM.

annc 09-24-09 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTermite (Post 9736677)
Just so you know....if you bought a DELL that came with Windows XP and have a key (usually on a sticker on the laptop), getting a copy of Windows XP is NOT illegal. You are legally allowed to copy a Windows XP disc.

So if you can find somebody local who has one, you can get them to make a copy and it is legit as long as you use YOUR CD-key when you install.

The illegal part of copying with respect to copyrights is in the distribution. You and your friend can copy all the cds you want but you can't give any to each other.

annc 09-24-09 04:19 PM

The computer may have hidden partition with a copy of the installation disk on it. A search for your computer model may tell you if a hidden partition exists. Since you have a OEM license key, you need copy of Windows XP OEM for your computer model. Not all OEM disks are the same; there are different disks for different computer manufacturers and models.

Rob P. 09-24-09 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wordbiker (Post 9737407)
Why isd it whenever someone asks a Windows-specific question, the answer is always Ubuntu?

Is the answer to parenting issues to get a dog?

Probably because I personally got tired of the MS pay-out-the-nose-for-nothing treadmill I decided to exit that drama production. Thus, MY answer to the EXACT SAME issue is/was to dump Windows for another product which performs as well, costs less, and is easier to work with when problems DO occur. I decided to do this in the mid-1990's but was unable because the then current workability of Linux was worse than MS's problems.

That changed recently. And I JUMPED at the opportunity to get the hell away from MS and the required nanny and band aid fixit software.

Perhaps it is time to start being a parent and solve the problems instead of ignoring them & hoping they will either go away or that someone will come along and save you. IOW, the DOG is windows and you have the analogy backwards.

BTW, I like Ubuntu. Unlike a lot of Linux distributions, Ubuntu is clean & easy to transition to & work with for Windows users. It installs cleanly and easily with no "tweaking" required in most cases. This means you don't have to be a software engineer to install or use it.

There are other "branded" versions of Linux out there. Red Hat is one. Suse is another. Both are nice but either will cost you money for the same OS while Ubuntu is free. Besides the Ubuntu desktop wallpaper is pretty and the releases have catchy names.

Wordbiker 09-24-09 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob P. (Post 9737699)
Probably because I personally got tired of the MS pay-out-the-nose-for-nothing treadmill I decided to exit that drama production. Thus, MY answer to the EXACT SAME issue is/was to dump Windows for another product which performs as well, costs less, and is easier to work with when problems DO occur. I decided to do this in the mid-1990's but was unable because the then current workability of Linux was worse than MS's problems.

That changed recently. And I JUMPED at the opportunity to get the hell away from MS and the required nanny and band aid fixit software.

Perhaps it is time to start being a parent and solve the problems instead of ignoring them & hoping they will either go away or that someone will come along and save you. IOW, the DOG is windows and you have the analogy backwards.

BTW, I like Ubuntu. Unlike a lot of Linux distributions, Ubuntu is clean & easy to transition to & work with for Windows users. It installs cleanly and easily with no "tweaking" required in most cases. This means you don't have to be a software engineer to install or use it.

There are other "branded" versions of Linux out there. Red Hat is one. Suse is another. Both are nice but either will cost you money for the same OS while Ubuntu is free. Besides the Ubuntu desktop wallpaper is pretty and the releases have catchy names.

Ah, so you're just cheap and oppose capitalism.

Rob P. 09-24-09 04:37 PM

No.

I'm cheap and oppose cataclysms.

Wordbiker 09-24-09 06:20 PM

Cataclysm. Wow, you must really hate Windows.

I can't say I hate Linux. It's more like I feel about gay sex: No matter how many folks tell me how great it is, I just know it's not for me.

no1mad 09-24-09 06:54 PM

Um, the OP wants the actual install disk 'cause his O/S won't boot.

And this being Foo, I'm surprised that nobody has told him to partake of the Forbidden Fruit.:innocent:

Also, OP- if you can get to Tulsa, go to Wholesale Computer Supply. They refurb PC's and laptops and they put XP on every box, even if it originally shipped with something else.

Bikernator 09-24-09 08:04 PM

Thanks for all the responses.. Foo is quite the busy little hive.. I may try another OS at some point, but as of now I can't start up the computer to get any other OS, and I don't have consistent access to another machine to do anything on. Currently snuck onto my roommates Mac while he's not here. I'll get another computer early next year, so i just need everything to last until then. Thanks again, I think its time to 'get my torrent on'... or something..

Rob P. 09-24-09 10:17 PM

Use your friends Mac to download the Ubuntu and burn it onto a disk. Heck, I'd bet you could even use the computer at the library if it has a CD drive.

The CD will boot the computer as well as install the new OS. You will likely have to repartition the HDD and this will wipe anything you have on the portion of the HDD that will be part of the new partition.

You can install Ubuntu without having to remove windows so you can always boot into windows down the road if you eventually find a CD for it.

Wordbiker 09-24-09 11:02 PM

Hello, my name is Rob...and I'm an unabashed ubuntu evangelist...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:00 PM.