Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
  1. #1
    I... Don't care. nekohime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How NOT to give a job interview

    Do not, under any circumstance, say "I don't think this job is beneath me at all"



    Yes, I said that during a job interview. The other parts went well enough though, so *cross fingers*
    Wanna join my charity folding bike ride? Sign-up here!
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way :p

  2. #2
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This non native English speaker don't get it. My best wishes to you on the job hunt tho...

  3. #3
    I... Don't care. nekohime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    This non native English speaker don't get it. My best wishes to you on the job hunt tho...
    Well...despite the flub I think I did get the job. Or at least that is what my friend who works there has hinted at.
    Wanna join my charity folding bike ride? Sign-up here!
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way :p

  4. #4
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,415
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you still land it, it shall be epic!
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  5. #5
    Hillary 2016
    Guest
    True story... Last summer I had a job interview. The interview was going great. In fact, things moved away from question and answer to conversation. I was feeling pretty good about my chances. Then, someone brought up a story where the head person in charge drove her car into a ditch because she was reading and driving. I looked at her and said, "Good God woman! That's why they make books on tape."

    I didn't get the job.

    I got a better job a few months later.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was applying for a part-time job to fill time that I was much too overqualified for.

    I said, "I know I am overqualified for this job, but this is what I want to do with my life."

    (I had college degrees, etc, but I was applying for a job that high school kids usually take.)

    I don't know what I was thinking, but I ended up with a much better job later, also.

  7. #7
    Senior Member ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice...do not tell your potential boss that you want his/her job within 3 yrs. Especially if they think you are capable of doing their job now.
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  8. #8
    XR2
    XR2 is offline
    Senior Member XR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    the foothills
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Posts
    938
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Where do you see yourself in five years?"

    "Australia."

    Didn't get the job or go to Australia.
    I owe-therefore I am.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    No Va but ride also in So Md
    My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Posts
    8,823
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All true stories

    At a lunch interview, the candidate asked the waiter for scotch and water to drink

    A guy told me he didn't want my job and he was going to be rich in three years. He applied for 18 credit cards and will use a cash advance from each to buy real estate that he rents out.

    Another guy had maybe 20 employers listed on his resume without dates. I assumed this was his entire career. Turned out these were over the past few years and 3 months was the longest.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Middle of the road, NJ
    Posts
    2,197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was doing "technical interviews" for a consulting company I worked for. I had to interview a guy that was supposed to be perfect for a particular position. I asked an him a simple technical question, more of an ice breaker than anything else. He came back with "Hey look, I've been doing this for more than ten years, I know what I'm doing, I don't have to answer silly questions." Well ok then. Needless to say, he didn't get the job.

  11. #11
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillary 2016 View Post
    Then, someone brought up a story where the head person in charge drove her car into a ditch because she was reading and driving. I looked at her and said, "Good God woman! That's why they make books on tape."
    I think the comment was definitely warranted. I applaud your candor.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  12. #12
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,540
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the hiring for my previous job.

    As part of the 'interviewing process', my intent would be to NOT contact the people after the interview for two weeks. It would give me time to go over things and review their background. I also wanted to see how much they wanted the job and expected them to call me back to inquire if I had made a decision. This would prove to me that they were truly interested in working for us and wanted THIS job vs just waiting for any place to hire them. Of course I would tell those that I didn't choose after the two week period.

    ANYWAY

    This one guy called me the day after his interview and said to me "So ya gonna hire me or what? I need to know because I need to make some money here. I'm not gonna be waiting all day for you to call". (At this point this was a red flag and just took him off of my potential employee list BECAUSE of this) I told him that I had already had some people in mind and that I would be contacting them in two weeks... to consider this your contact that I have made my decision and I think it probably is in your best interest to find a job more suitable for you.

    He was flaming.

    "YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ****EN *****, I DON'T EVEN WANT TO WORK FOR YOUR ****EN COMPANY ANYWAY YOU ****!! **** YOU, **** YOUR COMPANY AND I HOPE YOU ROT IN HELL!!!"

    I wished him good luck on his job hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Chacal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try not to play with your piercings, or pick at your scabs while being interviewed. That's never good.

  14. #14
    gouch pad bones_mcbones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Winnipeg
    My Bikes
    2008 Giant Bowery, 1212 Supercycle Winter fixie beater
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    I was doing "technical interviews" for a consulting company I worked for. I had to interview a guy that was supposed to be perfect for a particular position. I asked an him a simple technical question, more of an ice breaker than anything else. He came back with "Hey look, I've been doing this for more than ten years, I know what I'm doing, I don't have to answer silly questions." Well ok then. Needless to say, he didn't get the job.
    Gold! I work with one guy who always drops the "i've been doing this for 30 years", I always think to myself there's a reason you and i have the same job even though I've been at it for 3
    ****tinginbuckets.com

  15. #15
    surly old man jgedwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.
    Posts
    3,297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    As part of the 'interviewing process', my intent would be to NOT contact the people after the interview for two weeks. It would give me time to go over things and review their background. I also wanted to see how much they wanted the job and expected them to call me back to inquire if I had made a decision. This would prove to me that they were truly interested in working for us and wanted THIS job vs just waiting for any place to hire them.
    With all due respect, I think this is a horrible strategy.

    So, you expect the person to be able to decode your behavior (lack of response for two weeks) and read your mind about the winning strategy is? Not to put too fine a point on it, but I would hate to recommend someone use this technique in any of their relationships. Professional or otherwise. "If you really loved me you would have known I wanted you to do the dishes this evening." I cannot endorse that as a good technique to get what you want.

    Just be honest with me and tell me what you expect of me. Then I can decide whether I can meet your needs. And you can decide if you want me.

    Booo.

    jim
    Cross Check Nexus7, IRO Mark V, Trek 620 Nexus7, Karate Monkey half fat, IRO Model 19 fixed, Amp Research B3, Surly 1x1 half fat fixed, and more...
    --------------------------
    SB forever

  16. #16
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgedwa View Post
    With all due respect, I think this is a horrible strategy.

    So, you expect the person to be able to decode your behavior (lack of response for two weeks) and read your mind about the winning strategy is? Not to put too fine a point on it, but I would hate to recommend someone use this technique in any of their relationships. Professional or otherwise. "If you really loved me you would have known I wanted you to do the dishes this evening." I cannot endorse that as a good technique to get what you want.

    Just be honest with me and tell me what you expect of me. Then I can decide whether I can meet your needs. And you can decide if you want me.

    Booo.

    jim
    I hate to be on your opposing side, sis, but I agree with jgedwa.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  17. #17
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,540
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always told them I would call after two weeks.

    So far it has worked. Those truly interested had waited patiently and inquired at the end of the two weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  18. #18
    Senior Member GP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgedwa View Post
    With all due respect, I think this is a horrible strategy.

    So, you expect the person to be able to decode your behavior (lack of response for two weeks) and read your mind about the winning strategy is? Not to put too fine a point on it, but I would hate to recommend someone use this technique in any of their relationships. Professional or otherwise. "If you really loved me you would have known I wanted you to do the dishes this evening." I cannot endorse that as a good technique to get what you want.

    Just be honest with me and tell me what you expect of me. Then I can decide whether I can meet your needs. And you can decide if you want me.

    Booo.

    jim
    I agree.

    It's also not good to screw with someone's means of support for two weeks. When we hire we rank the prospects and try to narrow it down to 2-3 people. Then we discuss the merits of each one and try to make a decision within a day but there's no reason to go more than three days.

  19. #19
    gouch pad bones_mcbones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Winnipeg
    My Bikes
    2008 Giant Bowery, 1212 Supercycle Winter fixie beater
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    there is always the fact that a good job applicatant may find a job during the 2 week silience period
    ****tinginbuckets.com

  20. #20
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    I've always told them I would call withing two weeks...
    OK. Not quite as bad if you told them 2 weeks was the time frame. Still...waiting for them to make the move, though, seems like you're only filtering out ones with certain personalities. It doesn't get to the bottom of which one is best qualified or wants the job most.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  21. #21
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,540
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KT I edited my reply to clarify.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  22. #22
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,540
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    I agree.

    It's also not good to screw with someone's means of support for two weeks. When we hire we rank the prospects and try to narrow it down to 2-3 people. Then we discuss the merits of each one and try to make a decision within a day but there's no reason to go more than three days.
    We too have discussions about perspective employees. We also do background checks which take time themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by bones_mcbones View Post
    there is always the fact that a good job applicatant may find a job during the 2 week silience period
    True, and I encourage that! But if they want to work for us, they will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  23. #23
    Senior Member GP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    We too have discussions about perspective employees. We also do background checks which take time themselves.
    We're too cheap to pay for backgrounds for everyone so we wait until the prospective employee has signed the job offer.

  24. #24
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,114
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Was the interviewer dressed as Picard?
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  25. #25
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,540
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    We're too cheap to pay for backgrounds for everyone so we wait until the prospective employee has signed the job offer.
    We also do pee tests for drugs. Have to wait for those results as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •