Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   My new (coffee) toy!! (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/590647-my-new-coffee-toy.html)

KingTermite 10-02-09 02:50 PM

My new (coffee) toy!!
 
I'm going to enjoy some of this goodness tonight!


Bialetti Mukka Express

http://www.bialettishop.com/Pictures...pressLarge.jpg

ModoVincere 10-02-09 02:56 PM

So...let me get this straight. It steams the milk with the water that's making the coffee too. And then the two mix when you pour it?
If that's correct, neat!

lotek 10-02-09 02:57 PM

KT
Oh boy Cappuccino at your place?
I had a regular mocha type pot made excellent coffee.

hmm, might have to go fire up the espresso machine now.

late 10-02-09 03:04 PM

I use a Moka pot, but in the American style. I use very good light to medium roast coffee with as coarse a grind as my grinder can make. I don't fill the coffee reservoir, or tamp the coffee down. Because there is so little pressure, tamping is
not important here.

It works quite well.

gnome 10-02-09 03:15 PM

Looks like a nice toy. I have one of the classic Moka Express and it makes a nice cup of coffee.

KingTermite 10-02-09 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModoVincere (Post 9787302)
So...let me get this straight. It steams the milk with the water that's making the coffee too. And then the two mix when you pour it?
If that's correct, neat!

Yep...pretty much. You can do it under pressure for a cappucino or without for a simple cafe au lait.


Quote:

Originally Posted by lotek (Post 9787307)
KT
Oh boy Cappuccino at your place?
I had a regular mocha type pot made excellent coffee.

hmm, might have to go fire up the espresso machine now.

I've never had coffee from a moka pot before.....so its one I wanted in my arsenal (ibrik, vacuum pot, french press, manual drip, etc....). I have a regular espresso machine too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by late (Post 9787353)
I use a Moka pot, but in the American style. I use very good light to medium roast coffee with as coarse a grind as my grinder can make. I don't fill the coffee reservoir, or tamp the coffee down. Because there is so little pressure, tamping is
not important here.

It works quite well.

With course grind? It's meant for espresso grind only.....seems that would come out weird.....weak tasting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 9787419)
Looks like a nice toy. I have one of the classic Moka Express and it makes a nice cup of coffee.

I think this is the same as the classic Moka Express....just the latest and greatest model.

MillCreek 10-02-09 05:07 PM

Hmm. I have never used or had coffee from one of these. I will be interested to see the reports.

palesaint 10-02-09 05:17 PM

My parents gave me their mukka express when they couldn't figure out how to use it without leaking. Basically they just didn't tighten it enough, as I have run it maybe 15 times without a leak.

But, after those 15 tries, I've given up on it. I started with preground espresso, then got my own burr grinder and started using fresh roasted beans. Tried light roast, then medium, then dark. Every SINGLE time the results were basically the same: a hazy, murky drink with little body. I just wasn't impressed. I tried different amounts of water in the bottom and different amounts of milk. I loosely filled and tried packing tight the coffee holder. I finally gave up.

I'll be curious how yours turns out!

Hida Yanra 10-03-09 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTermite (Post 9787891)
...my arsenal (ibrik, vacuum pot, french press, manual drip, etc....). I have a regular espresso machine too.

SRLSY, you some sort of seattlite or sumthin?

:thumb: good on ya', I'm saving up for a good bur grinder myself.

UnsafeAlpine 10-03-09 10:26 AM

I don't understand. Why would you want to sully up your coffee with things like milk?

Ziemas 10-03-09 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTermite (Post 9787891)
I've never had coffee from a moka pot before.....so its one I wanted in my arsenal (ibrik, vacuum pot, french press, manual drip, etc....). I have a regular espresso machine too.

What are you using for espresso?

Big_e 10-03-09 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine (Post 9790758)
I don't understand. Why would you want to sully up your coffee with things like milk?

OMG! Coffee goes better with milk.
Ernest

UnsafeAlpine 10-03-09 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_e (Post 9791217)
OMG! Coffee goes better with milk.
Ernest

No it doesn't. It tastes like crap with milk. If I wanted to taste milk, I'd drink milk, but I don't because I like coffee.

ModoVincere 10-03-09 12:27 PM

Coffee is good with milk and without milk. Really depends on the coffee and the mood I'm in.
Either way, Coffee ice cream is the best flavor of ice cream.....don't care what anyone else says.

<3 2 Ride 10-03-09 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_e (Post 9791217)
OMG! Coffee goes better with milk.
Ernest

:eek: Adding milk to coffee is a surefire way to ruin a good cup. I drink milk. I like milk. Just keep it the he** away from my coffee.

MillCreek 10-03-09 12:56 PM

The only time I put milk in is if I am making a latte or capp at home. For my drip and French press, I like my coffee the way I like my women: hot, strong and black.

skijor 10-03-09 01:02 PM

coffee stout + half n half topped with cheese whiz and a ******* ass.
[IMG]http://www.angrywhiteboy.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/*******.jpg[/IMG]

j/k :p

Tom Stormcrowe 10-03-09 01:08 PM

Is it made by Gateway? :p

SingingSabre 10-03-09 01:43 PM

Looks like fun, KT!

Sixty Fiver 10-03-09 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MillCreek (Post 9791378)
The only time I put milk in is if I am making a latte or capp at home. For my drip and French press, I like my coffee the way I like my women: hot, strong and black.

That beats dark and bitter... :)

BoSoxYacht 10-03-09 02:10 PM

very nice.

I`m stuck at work with nothing but Folgers to drink.

late 10-03-09 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTermite (Post 9787891)
With course grind? It's meant for espresso grind only.....seems that would come out weird.....weak tasting.

Nope, I have the opposite problem. It's never weak, but if I'm not careful about how much coffee I grind I can get it too strong. It's basically a percolator used that way.
Only thing wrong with percs is that they're slow, this isn't.

Frankly, espresso evolved in an age where coffee had lost most of it's flavor by the time it got to Europe. We don't have that problem anymore, so there is no need to burn the crap out of it.

Opened a lovely bag of Ethiopian this morning, never had an Ethiopian with a nutty quality to the taste before.

http://www.terroircoffee.com/images/...edaneffsml.jpg

BoSoxYacht 10-03-09 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by late (Post 9791746)
Nope, I have the opposite problem. It's never weak, but if I'm not careful about how much coffee I grind I can get it too strong. It's basically a percolator used that way.
Only thing wrong with percs is that they're slow, this isn't.

Frankly, espresso evolved in an age where coffee had lost most of it's flavor by the time it got to Europe. We don't have that problem anymore, so there is no need to burn the crap out of it.

Opened a lovely bag of Ethiopian this morning, never had an Ethiopian with a nutty quality to the taste before.

http://www.terroircoffee.com/images/...edaneffsml.jpg

how do you burn espresso? Steam, forced through coffee grounds, will not burn it.

Ziemas 10-04-09 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht (Post 9793144)
how do you burn espresso? Steam, forced through coffee grounds, will not burn it.

Steam will in fact burn it, but I think he's talking about over-roasting.

late 10-04-09 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziemas (Post 9794172)
Steam will in fact burn it, but I think he's talking about over-roasting.

Indeed,
part of the flavor is in the aromatic oils which dissipate or burn at high temperatures.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:04 AM.