Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: DSL speed

  1. #1
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    8,064
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    DSL speed

    Any one know why/how there are different DSL speeds? Is it limited by the physical or by the virtual?

    I had mid grade cable ISP, then switched to upper tier DSL. I noticed very little difference between the two when using the home's wireless network.

    I have since moved around the corner (a total of six houses away). When I had the service transferred, the CSR and the ISP's website both informed me that only the basic tier service is available at the new place. The tech that came out to install the service said that he didn't see why I couldn't get the higher grade of service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  2. #2
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Any one know why/how there are different DSL speeds? Is it limited by the physical or by the virtual?

    I had mid grade cable ISP, then switched to upper tier DSL. I noticed very little difference between the two when using the home's wireless network.

    I have since moved around the corner (a total of six houses away). When I had the service transferred, the CSR and the ISP's website both informed me that only the basic tier service is available at the new place. The tech that came out to install the service said that he didn't see why I couldn't get the higher grade of service.
    Depending on the bandwidth of DSL available for your area, the limitation could be your wireless network.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  3. #3
    OCD Moderator cb400bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI
    My Bikes
    1985 Trek 770, 2006 Cannondale Synapse, 1976 Viscount Aerospace Pro
    Posts
    8,007
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Distance from your house to the distribution center can affect signal quality so if the service provider can't guarantee a faster speed without problems, they won't (or at least shouldn't) offer it.

  4. #4
    Spin it off, Snack Fairy! Alasdair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Upstate South Carolina
    My Bikes
    2006 Fuji Team Pro
    Posts
    526
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
    Distance from your house to the distribution center can affect signal quality so if the service provider can't guarantee a faster speed without problems, they won't (or at least shouldn't) offer it.
    Depending on the provider, you may be able to request an "engineering study" to see if they can support higher bandwidth to your home. As said above, it is all about distance (in cable feet) from the nearest DSL switchgear. 5,000 feet is the typical outer limit for the higher bandwidths; around 15,000 feet and you won't get much more than 300k or so.
    Experience is that thing you get just after you needed it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    Depending on the bandwidth of DSL available for your area, the limitation could be your wireless network.
    Are you implying that there's DSL service that's faster than 54mbps?

  6. #6
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
    Are you implying that there's DSL service that's faster than 54mbps?
    I'm implying he's getting nowhere near 54mbps via his wireless network.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    8,064
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasdair View Post
    Depending on the provider, you may be able to request an "engineering study" to see if they can support higher bandwidth to your home. As said above, it is all about distance (in cable feet) from the nearest DSL switchgear. 5,000 feet is the typical outer limit for the higher bandwidths; around 15,000 feet and you won't get much more than 300k or so.
    I'm maybe 500 ft from driveway to driveway, less than that if looking at just the power/phone poles. There shouldn't be that much degradation in that short of distance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    Depending on the bandwidth of DSL available for your area, the limitation could be your wireless network.
    Using the same gateway that I had at the old place. The only thing that I can think of is perhaps the wiring inside the house may be the culprit. Old house was built in 2006, the current one in the 1960's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  8. #8
    OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Weston, FL
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Posts
    2,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general cable will have higher bandwidth than DSL but gets throttled by the number of people on the segment, so less people high throughput at night things slow down. DSL is dedicated but dependent on how far you are away from the DSLAM, farther away = less bandwidth. Also DSL requires you have filters on your phone line for the phones.

    Use speedtest.com and test your bandwidth right at the DSL modem i.e. connect your computer to its RJ45 port. If the speed looks good there then you can isolate within your house where the problem is. If the speed is low at the modem then it is an outside problem, if you are not getting what you paid for call service.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

    2013 Noah RS

  9. #9
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    21,061
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    some place have 100mbps. asian countrie have much faster and deployed broadband earlier.
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

    No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

  10. #10
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    8,064
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
    In general cable will have higher bandwidth than DSL but gets throttled by the number of people on the segment, so less people high throughput at night things slow down. DSL is dedicated but dependent on how far you are away from the DSLAM, farther away = less bandwidth. Also DSL requires you have filters on your phone line for the phones.

    Use speedtest.com and test your bandwidth right at the DSL modem i.e. connect your computer to its RJ45 port. If the speed looks good there then you can isolate within your house where the problem is. If the speed is low at the modem then it is an outside problem, if you are not getting what you paid for call service.
    1. I don't know about how the grid lines are layed out, but from the street layout, I'm now closer to the hub. Have ATT's Direct DSL, dedicated DSL with no phone service.

    2. Used the test feature at digitallanding.com. I performed it wirelessly and it said the downstream was 356K and 205K up. While that is faster than dial-up, it's not quite cutting it for streaming. Some of the assignments for online classes are to watch programs via the web. With this new lower speed, it's like watching a debate between Porky Pig and Stuttering John.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coasting View Post
    some place have 100mbps. asian countrie have much faster and deployed broadband earlier.
    Yup... This is sad...

    http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/I...speedchart.jpg

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    My Bikes
    2008 fetish illustre
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do suspect your house wiring, it might be worth moving your DSL modem to different jacks and running the speedtest to see if there's a difference.

    I just ran the test on the laptop and desktop. Wireless (80 feet away) is 1300kbs up/800 down and wired is 1400kbs up/850 down. So wireless is keeping up pretty well. I'm maybe 6000 feet from the office, but am told I still qualify to be upgraded to a faster speed. I have no problem with my current speed, so am not eager to spend the extra $20/month.

  13. #13
    OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Weston, FL
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Posts
    2,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    1. I don't know about how the grid lines are layed out, but from the street layout, I'm now closer to the hub. Have ATT's Direct DSL, dedicated DSL with no phone service.

    2. Used the test feature at digitallanding.com. I performed it wirelessly and it said the downstream was 356K and 205K up. While that is faster than dial-up, it's not quite cutting it for streaming. Some of the assignments for online classes are to watch programs via the web. With this new lower speed, it's like watching a debate between Porky Pig and Stuttering John.
    Something is not right, DSL Basic from att is 768/384 and goes up to Elite 6mb/768. I would take the wireless out of the equation and direct connect via ethernet that is the only way you can reliably test the connection speed at the box. If that is good check the wireless settings, the default channels are usually what everyone uses and you could be getting crosstalk from a neighbor or some interference from an appliance. You could try changing channels and see if you get an improvement. With that bad of connection you should be using one of these

    Last edited by stonecrd; 10-23-09 at 10:38 AM.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

    2013 Noah RS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •