I'm looking for a replacement for my old Palm Tungsten T3. I've been very happy with it and a small Nokia phone. I can carry one or the other or both with me, as needed. With the external foldable keyboard I've been able to type away when travelling, with a fraction of weight, space and price of a small laptop. Synchronizing calendar and documents to/from it has been a breeze.
But it seems the PDAs are going the way of dinosaurs. Palm only offers smartphones (and some OLD PDAs for limited markets). Other manufacturers that I've looked into, likewise. I would prefer to keep my phone small and simple. I take it with me to a lot of places the PDA will never see, such as kayaking and xc skiing trips. A fancy device with a relatively large screen would not like bumps, drops, humidity and various other things that make outdoors so great.
- What I need: seamless Office integration when at workplace. Ability to edit Office files and sync edited files back to work computer. Ability to read pdfs. Near full size keyboard (can be external as with Palm). One calendar.
- What I want: wifi would be nice, but not a necessity (I have enough work I can do completely off line).
- What I don't need: real time / wireless office sync. If the device syncs when in cradle at workplace, it's good enough.
With that, it seems I have a couple of choices:
- Use a small, basic phone with calendar, keep work Outlook's calendar in sync with it. Get a small laptop for everything else. Calendar use and flexibility will suck compared to Palm, as will hauling the laptop around.
- Give up and get a freakin smartphone already. Best calendar ever, be in touch with your work 24/7, buy an ankle holster to haul the brick around. If absolutely needed, buy a cheap small phone to use when enjoying quality time with mosquitoes in the tent.
- something else, what?
Any ideas or experiences are warmly welcome.