Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Why are women ALWAYS cold? (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/600496-why-women-always-cold.html)

efrobert 11-04-09 10:38 PM

Why are women ALWAYS cold?
 
Seriously wtf?
My office is like 70 degrees, the guys are wearing short sleeve shirts and are perfectly comfortable, the girls are bundled up like they're in the artic, and of course they announce every two minutes that they are FREEZING.
My wife comes home, the house is 67 and she acts like we live in an igloo. "I'm freezing, I need to turn the heat up"... Every night it's a battle over the thermostat.
I don't get it.

aadhils 11-04-09 10:44 PM

One of the many mysteries of life...

Wordbiker 11-04-09 10:44 PM

Both men and women feel the cold the same...the women just complain about it more.

Rob P. 11-04-09 10:47 PM

My brother came up with an interesting theory on this. He says that he thinks it's estrogen that causes it.

Think about it... while women are young they don't complain about being cold at all. They are tomboys and are just are rowdy as any other kid. When they get to menopause they start complaining about "hot flashes" until after full menopause at which time they stop complaining about being "cold."

However, during their child-bearing years they are constantly saying that they are cold. Couple this with the fact that they can use a thermometer to see where they are in their cycle it's easy to extrapolate all these separate things into a theory that estrogen causes temp control issues in women by causing their core temp to be too high. It's like they have a fever and get chilled easily.

That's HIS theory anyway. Mine is that women are weird.

Siu Blue Wind 11-04-09 10:49 PM

Because the blood is being concentrated on going to the brain rather than the rest of the body.

skijor 11-04-09 10:51 PM

game, set, and match...d'oh!

Tude 11-04-09 10:52 PM

Commana my house :D

I prefer cold, prefer windows cracked year round - used to drive my Mom (when I lived with here a few years ago) nuts ... "I feel a breeze coming from under your door, do you have a window open" (dam .. I forgot to put the blanket under the door!)

I am used to being outdoors sooo much, I mean I commute year round ... I live for the fresh air. And in my own apt, with no fish (as I usually have) in an aquarium or other animals other than two furbally cats - I actually have no heat on at the moment even though its in the high 30's outside. What keeps this going is the fact that I have two apt sized furnaces and hot water heaters in my own basement below me (of course my furnace is off and all my pipes are NOT outside run so they're safe).

My basement is probably warmer than apt right now.

:D

Course I'm this whacky kinda gurl hehe

wolfpack 11-04-09 10:55 PM

not me. i'm like a heater at night. :D

nekohime 11-04-09 10:56 PM

Can't relate. It's around 61F in my house right now and I'm wearing a sleeveless shirt and shorts.

Velo Vol 11-04-09 10:58 PM

I'm constantly cold from October to April.

Don't knock it.

Wordbiker 11-04-09 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind (Post 9986718)
Because the blood is being concentrated on going to the brain rather than the rest of the body.

Hey, just what are you imply...oOooh.

What was I thinking about before clicking on the Ladies of Foo thread?

overthehillmedi 11-04-09 11:41 PM

Guys.you'll find it in the reason in the instruction manual listed in the index.

DataJunkie 11-05-09 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overthehillmedi (Post 9986901)
Guys.you'll find it in the reason in the instruction manual listed in the index.

I do believe said instruction manual is in a long lost forgotten language.

mustang1 11-05-09 01:07 AM

My mom used to open windows in winter, when it was snowing, to let the "fresh air in". It didn't bother me, it gelt good not being in a stuffy house. Now many years later O'm married and have my own house. My wife keeps the termperature real warm, and then still takes a hot water bottle to bed. We lend our car to her mum. HER mum ALWAYS keeps the temperature on the heater at FULL HOT, with the windows closed, and my daughter (2.5 years old) completely dressed up with warm coat. My daughter must hate it.

<3 2 Ride 11-05-09 02:07 AM

In the middle of the summer, I sleep with a quilt and down comforter on my bed. Right now, I have flannel sheets, two quilts and a down comforter on my bed. I am comfortable between 72 and 76 degrees. Below 72 and I am freezing, above 76 and I am ready to die because it is too hot. I am just extremely sensitive to temperatures.

I don't often complain about it unless I am super cold, I just deal with it. I carry a sweater/jacket with me all summer just in case. I keep an extra sweater in my classroom for when I get chilled (the building is supposedly 71 degrees, I disagree when my fingers become little ice cubes and I am shivering). In the fall when temps are in the 50's & 60's I add a pair of gloves to the jacket pocket that I carry around.

I also recognize that I am unusual and not everyone gets cold like me. My house is set to 70 when I am home during the day and down to 60 at night. My son was walking around in a tank top this evening as I shivered in my long sleeve and went to add a sweater.

I have no idea why I get so cold (or so hot above 76). It would be nice to know the answer and to fix it. I hate that I get so cold.

gnome 11-05-09 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DataJunkie (Post 9987080)
Quote:

Originally Posted by overthehillmedi (Post 9986901)
Guys.you'll find it in the reason in the instruction manual listed in the index.

I do believe said instruction manual is in a long lost forgotten language.

Not only is the manual in a long lost language, but the manual itself was last seen about the time of Adam.

fuzzbox 11-05-09 03:37 AM

I like the cold but any weather below 60 right now and I'm freezing. It is just too hot here and when it gets cold there is no in between for me to adjust. Just last week it was 55-60 and now it is 90 again. Wtf?

Hillary 2016 11-05-09 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efrobert (Post 9986670)
My wife comes home, the house is 67 and she acts like we live in an igloo. "I'm freezing, I need to turn the heat up"... Every night it's a battle over the thermostat.
I don't get it.

I don't either. If it is 67 outdoors during the summer, my wife is in shorts and a t-shirt. If it's 67 in the winter, she says I'm being cheap and not heating the house.

chipcom 11-05-09 05:54 AM

the real fun starts when she starts alternating unpredictably between being cold and having hot flashes. :eek:

ModoVincere 11-05-09 06:47 AM

muscle mass...its more metabolically active, and men usually have more of it.

ModoVincere 11-05-09 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipcom (Post 9987409)
the real fun starts when she starts alternating unpredictably between being cold and having hot flashes. :eek:

that's when I go hiking.

RubenX 11-05-09 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wordbiker (Post 9986693)
Both men and women feel the cold the same...the women just complain about EVERITHING more.

fixed

ChltCat 11-05-09 07:52 AM

I'm always hot..I keep my house is set at 68 and I sleep with a fan beside me on the nightstand..

travelmama 11-05-09 08:22 AM

Are the women in your office going through weight loss? I lost over 50 lbs 13 years ago and was ALWAYS cold. So cold that I would sleep in flannel pajamas and a hat during SUMMERTIME. I still stay cold and have Raynauds Syndrome so nothing has improved even though I have gained some muscle mass. I can't explain it so I just deal with it.

RUOkie 11-05-09 08:24 AM

I think it must be from the Ice water running in their veins.:innocent::innocent::p


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:14 PM.