Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-09, 09:06 PM   #1
skiahh
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
skiahh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: CO Springs, CO
Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
Posts: 1,035
Time for a new phone...

I've just entered my "New every two" window and can upgrade phones. My wife wants a Blackberry, or some other PDA/Smartphone. We went and did touchy-feely with the BB Curve and Tour as well as the Motorola Droid tonight.

Do any of you Foosters have experience with any of these phones and if so, what are your thoughts? Thanks!
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 09:19 PM   #2
GP 
Senior Member
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 7,575
I use a Curve during the week. It's fine for Outlook, as a GPS and a phone. It's poor for web browsing and as a camera.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 09:26 PM   #3
RiverCityCyclis
The Sleeper
 
RiverCityCyclis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wichita, KS
Bikes: GT Transeo 2.0 Disc 2009
Posts: 152
the droid is really nice, my friend just got one i have htc touch so i use the android os as well. there are some really cool capabilities with these phones especially for cyclists. i like the instamapper and my tracks apps. also ability to embed gps coords into decent looking pictures. which is nice to add into your maps etc.
RiverCityCyclis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 10:03 PM   #4
kidonabike
Hello :D
 
kidonabike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 143
What are you looking to use the phone for? I have a BB 9000 (Bold) and I really like it. It's great for keeping in touch, cranking out email/texts and viewing documents that I get. On the other hand the browser is terrible and it is a bit big for some. I personally find the size a plus as it gives me a bit larger keyboard and screen.

If you do decide on a BB you may want to wait a bit. The new Tour and Storm are coming out.
kidonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 10:05 PM   #5
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
*glances at his perfectly functional 4-ish year old phone*

Huh.

Nope, can't say as I do.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 10:10 PM   #6
willmw
Old enough to know better
 
willmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Central GA, USA
Bikes: Haro Heartland Express LE, Dawes Lightning 1000
Posts: 29
*glances at his perfectly functional $10 tracfone which he pays approximately $100/year to use*

Uh...um...

Nope, can't say as I do either. Granted I don't make a lot of cellphone calls.
willmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 10:20 PM   #7
ummbnb
Senior Member
 
ummbnb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: A Mile High
Bikes:
Posts: 383
My Moto Q started dying just in time for the DROID. I ordered it just a few minutes ago so I'll let you know what I think in a couple of days. Squee!!!
ummbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 10:36 PM   #8
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
I've just entered my "New every two" window and can upgrade phones. My wife wants a Blackberry, or some other PDA/Smartphone. We went and did touchy-feely with the BB Curve and Tour as well as the Motorola Droid tonight.

Do any of you Foosters have experience with any of these phones and if so, what are your thoughts? Thanks!
Does your current plan include data? If not, depending on the carrier, you will have to upgrade your plan.
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 10:36 PM   #9
skiahh
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
skiahh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: CO Springs, CO
Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidonabike View Post
What are you looking to use the phone for? I have a BB 9000 (Bold) and I really like it. It's great for keeping in touch, cranking out email/texts and viewing documents that I get. On the other hand the browser is terrible and it is a bit big for some. I personally find the size a plus as it gives me a bit larger keyboard and screen.

If you do decide on a BB you may want to wait a bit. The new Tour and Storm are coming out.
The Tour is out... unless you mean there's a new version. Like I said, we did a "touchy-feely" on the Curve, Tour, Droid and a couple of others.

Use? No land lines, so these will be our primary phones for everything. My wife wants the BBish type phone. I could go either way, though do like tech gadgets, so certainly am not going to try and stop getting them.

Up until now, however, we've just had basic phones (except for a couple of years where I had a BB for work... and may again soon, too). This will be our first foray into the whole mobile computing devices.
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 11:28 PM   #10
DataJunkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 14,280
I have a curve and love it.
DataJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 11:43 PM   #11
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est
 
iamlucky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
*glances at his perfectly functional 4-ish year old phone*

Huh.

Nope, can't say as I do.
Woohoo! I'm not alone. Mine actually hit the market way back in 2003, although I've only had it 4 years. Unfortunately, the battery's dying and I can't find anything quite equivalent.

However, so as to not entirely hijack the thread, I wanted to contribute that if I were in the market for a smart phone, the openness of phones meeting the OHA standards like the Droid would be very appealing. So many people complain about Microsoft being closed and monopolistic in terms of computer software, but don't seem to care that the status quo is mobile telephony is still more of a proprietary zoo than anything Microsoft could have ever hoped to achieve.

Funny that the EU is so upset, for example, at Microsoft including IE and Media Player for free with Windows, but phone companies going as far as restricting applications is ok.
__________________
"The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad
iamlucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 12:01 AM   #12
superdex
staring at the mountains
 
superdex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Parker, CO
Bikes: 1x9 mtb commuter, Javelin Boca
Posts: 3,660
Wife and I got matching HTC Keisers (AT&T Tilt) little over a year ago. Windows Mobile, touch screen and slide out keyboard. She went through three lemons. Finally she (was able to) switched to a BB Curve. She hasn't looked back. She doesn't do much web browsing, but for email and --gasp-- actually calling people, it rocks. Even lived through the washing machine (which required two days in a bag of rice), but she loves it.

Me? I suffered with WinMo for about a year. Jumped on the iPhone 3GS when it came out, and haven't been happier.

Lesson? Stay away from Windows Mobile.
superdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 02:06 AM   #13
kidonabike
Hello :D
 
kidonabike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
The Tour is out... unless you mean there's a new version. Like I said, we did a "touchy-feely" on the Curve, Tour, Droid and a couple of others.

Use? No land lines, so these will be our primary phones for everything. My wife wants the BBish type phone. I could go either way, though do like tech gadgets, so certainly am not going to try and stop getting them.

Up until now, however, we've just had basic phones (except for a couple of years where I had a BB for work... and may again soon, too). This will be our first foray into the whole mobile computing devices.
haha I mean the Tour 2. Trackpad instead of a trackball and has Wifi. If you are going to be using these around your home and you have wireless set up that will be a huge plus over the original tour. Of those 3 that you posted up I would choose the newest incarnation of the Tour for the wifi. Has a better form factor IMO than the 8900 and I disliked the keyboard on the Droid. Although the Sense UI the Droid has is really nice Tough choice my friend, they are all really nice phones.

Although all this is pointless IMO if you get a carrier with bad reception in your area. As long as you choose someone with good signal in the areas you are going to be in the most then they will have the best phones for you
kidonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 04:53 AM   #14
root11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Bikes: Trek 2300, Cannondale ??, Univega Hyrid
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmw View Post
*glances at his perfectly functional $10 tracfone which he pays approximately $100/year to use*

Uh...um...

Nope, can't say as I do either. Granted I don't make a lot of cellphone calls.
+1. Don't have the need for more.
root11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 09:55 AM   #15
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityCyclis View Post
the droid is really nice, my friend just got one i have htc touch so i use the android os as well. there are some really cool capabilities with these phones especially for cyclists. i like the instamapper and my tracks apps. also ability to embed gps coords into decent looking pictures. which is nice to add into your maps etc.
Good to hear this. Wife and I are going to finally get a combined contract when my 2 year window is up (in Feb) and I've had my eye on the Droid. Was hoping to hear some experiences with it before then.

How's the web browsing on it? I know that's what my wife is most interested in.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 10:07 AM   #16
aadhils
Bike Junkie
 
aadhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Bikes: Orange Brompton M3L; Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange)
Posts: 1,590
I got the iphone cause of the e-book factor.
aadhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 10:10 AM   #17
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard
 
SingingSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
Good to hear this. Wife and I are going to finally get a combined contract when my 2 year window is up (in Feb) and I've had my eye on the Droid. Was hoping to hear some experiences with it before then.

How's the web browsing on it? I know that's what my wife is most interested in.
Feb should be great for that...they'll have worked out the bugs!
__________________
Shameless plug (my sites):
Work
Photography
Vanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
SingingSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 10:14 AM   #18
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
Feb should be great for that...they'll have worked out the bugs!
that was my thought/hope.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 10:36 AM   #19
skiahh
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
skiahh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: CO Springs, CO
Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by root11 View Post
+1. Don't have the need for more.
Need has nothing to do with this!
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 10:44 AM   #20
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
Woohoo! I'm not alone. Mine actually hit the market way back in 2003, although I've only had it 4 years. Unfortunately, the battery's dying and I can't find anything quite equivalent.
Yep. I think mine came out in 2004/05, and I still see it for sale once in a while. Just a simple Nokia bar phone. Not a lot to go wrong. The only issue has is that the battery cover creaks when using the keys.

I looked around to see what's currently available, and thankfully there are still a few models that fit the "simple" bill. Most can be had for around $50 outright (not "$50" with the rest subsidized by your telephone bill and contract), unlocked. Nice.

If the amount of press that the Droid (and Android itself) is getting on sites like Engadget and Gizmodo is any indication, there's at least something there for those who like a Jack-of-all-Trades/Broken-All-At-Once unit.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 10:51 AM   #21
exRunner
Senior Member
 
exRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Long Island NY
Bikes: Panasonic 500
Posts: 750
I have a BB 8350i that was issued by my company. No camera (I work in a security area). I love this thing. My only complaint is the GPS reciever that keeps screwing up, which forces me to reset the firewall about once a week.
exRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 10:54 AM   #22
KiuBWhy
Senior Member
 
KiuBWhy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: 2007 Trek 1600
Posts: 835
The new storm is out.

What service provider do you have? Because if you have T-mobile or similar service that still uses SIM cards, you can use one of the older Iphones. Geohot just came out with a ridiculously easy way to jailbreak (unlock) the Iphone for non-AT&T customers.
KiuBWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 02:14 PM   #23
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est
 
iamlucky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
Yep. I think mine came out in 2004/05, and I still see it for sale once in a while. Just a simple Nokia bar phone. Not a lot to go wrong. The only issue has is that the battery cover creaks when using the keys.

I looked around to see what's currently available, and thankfully there are still a few models that fit the "simple" bill. Most can be had for around $50 outright (not "$50" with the rest subsidized by your telephone bill and contract), unlocked. Nice.
I'm pretty sure there's no phones from 2005 still on the shelves new anywhere except perhaps Amazon. If so, they were probably made in 2005, which means the battery was made in 2005. LiIon batteries degrade over time whether used or not. They're not likely to live much better than mine.

Mine is also an old Nokia 6010 bar phone. Works great. Apparently the current replacement (1661), however, has poor reception and really bad sound quality. The display toy I played with also has almost unusable keys. Right now I'm looking at the Motorola Renew. Reviews seem ok, but for some reason it got pulled from the market after only a couple months. It can still be found on Amazon for $30, though.
__________________
"The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad
iamlucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 04:38 PM   #24
Diegomayra
Too Fat for This Sport
 
Diegomayra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern California
Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Supersix
Posts: 694
From experience the curve browser lacks!
Diegomayra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 05:16 PM   #25
mlts22 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 998
If I were to buy a phone among the lineup, I'd spring for the Droid. In the same size form factor as an iPhone, the Droid offers 16 gigs (expandable to 32) of memory, a 5MP camera, a sliding keyboard (which makes a text message session a lot easier), and fairly decent plans from Verizon.

I'm spoiled by my rickety old HTC Wizard. It originally shipped with Windows Mobile 5, but I reflashed it with a newer version, added a bunch of custom programs, and overclocked its battery saving, but sluggish, OMAP 850 so it can do Skype. Of course, it can do tethering, both via a USB cord, or through BlueTooth. However, since the phone was made before 3G was out, is is dog slow Internet-wise. Other than no 3G, the only other glaring thing is that the UI expects a stylus for a number of things (something that has essentially cost Microsoft the PDA/smartphone market because MS did not get out multitouch fast enough.)

Because MS seems to have dropped the ball with WM, I am also looking to buy an Android device soon. At least Android is fairly easy to start writing on. If you are running Linux, OS X, or Windows, you can download the SDK and start coding.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:59 PM.