Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    panhandle for non standing job?

    i don't know of any jobs that don't involve standing that i am qualified for.

    do you (i've a BA degree 3.47 gpa, and have held crappy jobs like lawn mowing and walmart)?


    i was thinking of going out, hanging a sign around my neck reading "NEED JOB! CAN'T STAND FOR LONG PERIODS DUE TO FOOT NEUROMAS! EDUCATED! BA DEGREE 3.47!"

    maybe with some pics of my paintings on it...

    think i'd get arrested?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Snicklefritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
    Posts
    3,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you'd get arrested. I seem to recall reading an article a couple years ago about a guy who wore a sign on his chest saying something like "MIT grad needs a job" or something similar...and he ended up getting a good job.

    What is your BS degree in?
    Last edited by Snicklefritz; 11-15-09 at 04:39 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's called an art and performance degree. it's basically just a bull **** degree that the university made up for people like me who didn't quite cut it at science (i switched over from physics half way through).... and of course the university doesn't keep up connections or anything with any real employers of people like me, so even if you do waste time going to the career center all they do is waste your time on silly job hunt tips that don't do **** to help you find a job.... of course, if the government wasn't backing my loans they'd sing a different tune.

    anyway, i paint, and i paint well for someone that's only spend around 1000 hours painting (that's all the time i could find to do it, and i'm probably more of a history major than an art major thanks to all the history classes i've taken... and forgotten... actually, my degree is like 1/3 sophomore and below science, 1/3 senior and below history, and 1/3 senior and below art.).

    http://metreonfuture.deviantart.com/gallery/

  4. #4
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your issue with your feet qualify as a disability? Most employers will accomodate you by providing a chair so you don't have to be on your feet all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i doubt it. in most of the jobs they say "can you do this job with or without reasonable accommodation"
    and "standing for long periods" in the application.

    and the doc said i could stand for long period... of course, the doc told me to take prednisone and gave me some inserts. i used the inserts but they did little. i didn't take the drug as when i typed the drug into google i noticed side effects like diabetes, osteoporosis, shut off adrenal gland... (i distrust drugs after what one doc prescribed to me did something rather awful to me)... if i had taken it i'm not so sure that it would have done anything helpful anyway. i did start using anti inflammatory cream, and it helps, but i didn't get the feeling back in my toes till a couple weeks or so after i quit.

    i can do most things just fine. i can lift weights, i can do a small number of sprints or run a short distance as long as i can rest my feed afterward... but i can't stand or walk for long periods. if i do i just end up back to where i was (i've started lifting and sprinting barefoot in an attempt to strengthen my feet to correct the mechanical issues that may have caused this problem in the first place.)

  6. #6
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    8,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either go into business for yourself or go back to school for a CJ degree. Judges don't do too much standing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  7. #7
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,547
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you bring a tall stool and a metal cup when you stand on the corner.

    What happened to your job at WalMart? And you never thanked me for that check I sent you a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you never sent me a check. and i already said what happened with the walmart job. not feeling my toes for four months put me in a rather bad mood which led to them pressuring me to quit... although the fact that i was about to start getting insurance just when they did that tells me that there may have been a bit more to it than that.

  9. #9
    BF Risk Manager
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Snohomish County, Washington USA
    My Bikes
    Road, mountain and folding
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly advise you to go see an orthopedic surgeon specializing in feet or a podiatrist. There are other means of treating Morton's neuromas, such as depot injections of long-lasting steroids directly into the lesion, or surgery to remove the lesion. I had a neuroma in my right foot, and it was cured with a single steroid injection. I have had no problems for 15 years since.
    Regards, MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

  10. #10
    Senior Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
    Posts
    1,727
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really need to take pressure off of your feet, and for whatever reason Millcreek's suggestion doesn't work, I think I know of a product that might help.

    Honda makes a system for people with leg problems. It's where you sit on a bicycle seat type thing, and you have these leg braces with knee joint flex points which you strap yourself into. Takes the pressure off your knees and feet, and puts it straight on your ass.

    I don't know off hand what they're called, but I saw Honda people from Japan display them at the SAE congress. I'd have got more info, but they spoke about as much English as I do Japanese.
    Bring back the Sig Test!


    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MillCreek View Post
    I strongly advise you to go see an orthopedic surgeon specializing in feet or a podiatrist. There are other means of treating Morton's neuromas, such as depot injections of long-lasting steroids directly into the lesion, or surgery to remove the lesion. I had a neuroma in my right foot, and it was cured with a single steroid injection. I have had no problems for 15 years since.
    if i had money for it.... maybe. i had considered the injection but the problem is that it can cause more problems than i want to bother with, such as reducing the fat pad on the bottom of the foot.

    i was reading a forum full of people who had the removal surgery and things did not look so hot for them. the nerves have a tendency to re-grow in the form of a stump and cause even more pain.

    i'd really like to try active release therapy at some point. the thing i fear is that i ignored it for too long (trying to save money) and now the nerves not swollen so much as semi permanently enlarged with calcification and scar tissue. i was reading on a lifting forum a while back that lifters were having luck having their injuries cured with this... but that was with things other than neuromas... mostly muscle and tendon damage from overuse injuries.

  12. #12
    BF Risk Manager
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Snohomish County, Washington USA
    My Bikes
    Road, mountain and folding
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fat and muscle necrosis generally only occurs with repeated steroid injections. It will not get better by itself. What resources does your community have for those without healthcare insurance?
    Regards, MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uh... none.

  14. #14
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,722
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I've had a couple of sitting jobs:

    Telephone Survey Tech: Call people on the phone and ask them a battery of questions about health insurance, beer, frozen vegetables, etc. The test involved reading English out loud and typing relatively accurately at least 25 wpm.

    Telephone Tech Support: This one required more geek knowledge and paid a couple bucks an hour more. It involved playing silly online games and cruising the web waiting for someone to call and say their DSL wasn't working.

    My favorite dream job I'd do if I had a degree is teaching English in southeast Asia. A friend did it in Japan in the 90s and loved it! Most require a 4-year college degree, so I never went. I imagine this could be done with just a little standing.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  15. #15
    Strong with the Fred Big_e's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a BA degree, why not look into a job with your city? Get a job as a department manager? The only time you have to get up out of your desk is to walk to a meeting. At most, you'll have to drive a city vehicle to city hall for a conference and you can have an underling drive you there.

    You can work there until you get back on your job track. I gotto warn you, lots of people came to the city "just for a little while" and have stayed. You can get too cozy and the pay is good for the work you do.

    Many cities are switching from promoting from within (employees with no degrees but lots of job experience) to hiring applicants with no experience but have degrees and can speak clearly to the public and media.
    It just sounds better when the media interviews the manager of Environmental Protection at the site of a chemical spill and the manager doesn't say alot of, "Um..yeah, uh. We'z working on the problem..."

    The average city employee retires 10 years earlier than his/her private sector counterpart. You just have to put up with alot of incompetent co-workers and alot of BS from upper administration. Lord willing, I'll be retiring in 7 more years at the age of 52 and will be able to get my own business off the ground by then. Thats if I don't get rifted between that time.
    Ernest
    I love pho long time.

  16. #16
    BF Risk Manager
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Snohomish County, Washington USA
    My Bikes
    Road, mountain and folding
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfishin View Post
    uh... none.
    Are you in the USA? Are you near a medical school or a town/city that has a Federal Community Health Clinic?
    Regards, MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_e View Post
    If you have a BA degree, why not look into a job with your city? Get a job as a department manager? The only time you have to get up out of your desk is to walk to a meeting. At most, you'll have to drive a city vehicle to city hall for a conference and you can have an underling drive you there.

    You can work there until you get back on your job track. I gotto warn you, lots of people came to the city "just for a little while" and have stayed. You can get too cozy and the pay is good for the work you do.

    Many cities are switching from promoting from within (employees with no degrees but lots of job experience) to hiring applicants with no experience but have degrees and can speak clearly to the public and media.
    It just sounds better when the media interviews the manager of Environmental Protection at the site of a chemical spill and the manager doesn't say alot of, "Um..yeah, uh. We'z working on the problem..."

    The average city employee retires 10 years earlier than his/her private sector counterpart. You just have to put up with alot of incompetent co-workers and alot of BS from upper administration. Lord willing, I'll be retiring in 7 more years at the age of 52 and will be able to get my own business off the ground by then. Thats if I don't get rifted between that time.
    Ernest
    how do you get a job like that? the only city jobs i've seen are things like lifeguard, 911 operator, and laborer (and they won't even have me for labor when i try for it! i'm too ignorant for it!).

  18. #18
    Strong with the Fred Big_e's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfishin View Post
    how do you get a job like that? the only city jobs i've seen are things like lifeguard, 911 operator, and laborer (and they won't even have me for labor when i try for it! i'm too ignorant for it!).
    Check nearby cities. I'm serious when I say that Dallas hired 5 new managers within the last 3 years. That's just in the Code Enforcement Department alone. These people had no inspector experience at all. The city is desperate to give itself a facelift and have professional people at the manager level.
    Do check other cities websites too. Very few of my co-workers live in Dallas. Most drive 45 minutes to an hour just to get to work! I can and do bicycle to work.
    Ernest
    I love pho long time.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    poop

    Position Emp. Type Salary Filing Date
    Laborer Aviation Full-time $21,651.00 - $35,724.00 annually Continuous
    Laborer Code Compliance Full-time $21,651.00 - $35,724.00 annually Continuous
    Laborer Equipment & Building Services Full-time $21,651.00 - $35,724.00 annually Continuous
    Laborer II Aviation Full-time $23,816.00 - $39,296.00 annually Continuous
    Laborer II Code Compliance Full-time $23,816.00 - $39,296.00 annually Continuous
    Laborer II Equipment & Building Services Full-time $23,816.00 - $39,296.00 annually Continuous
    Laborer II Park and Recreation Full-time $23,816.00 - $39,296.00 annually Continuous
    Laborer II Public Works & Transportation Full-time $23,816.00 - $39,296.00 annually Continuous
    Laborer II Street Services Full-time $23,816.00 - $39,296.00 annually Continuous
    Laborer II Water Utilities Full-time $23,816.00 - $39,296.00 annually Continuous
    Laborer Park and Recreation Full-time $21,651.00 - $35,724.00 annually Continuous
    Laborer Public Works & Transportation Full-time $21,651.00 - $35,724.00 annually Continuous
    Laborer Street Services Full-time $21,651.00 - $35,724.00 annually Continuous
    Laborer Water Utilities Full-time $21,651.00 - $35,724.00 annually Continuous
    Mechanic II (Auto) Full-time $28,817.00 - $47,548.00 annually 11/20/09
    Police Officer Trainee I Full-time $41,690.00 - $41,690.00 annually 11/30/09
    Truck Driver II Sanitation Services Full-time $23,816.00 - $39,296.00 annually Continuous
    Truck Driver II Street Services Full-time $23,816.00 - $39,296.00 annually Continuous
    Page # of 1



    nevermind..... i was looking at the wrong thing...

    poop


    Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in business or related field and ten (10) years of executive level management experience. Municipal experience in an organization of comparable size and complexity to the City of Dallas is desired. A Master’s degree in business or public administration is highly preferred.

    and for some reason their god damned email doesn't work!
    Last edited by goldfishin; 11-16-09 at 10:26 AM.

  20. #20
    Fred at large
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Roads of Ventura County Ca
    Posts
    640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhh, ok so you have a Bachelors degree in art. You can paint and likely draw. WHY are you working at lowlife Walmart jobs?

    Look for work as a graphics designer. Or commercial artist. Both are sit down jobs that pay fairly well. Not great, but decent.

    And, do your paintings in the evenings and weekends as side money. Best of both worlds.
    I am Fred, hear me slurp my Grande Mocha.

    ***
    2006 60cm Orbea Orca with 2009 Rival
    1985 55cm Nishiki lugged steel with Shimano parts and Rigida wheels (C&V for sale)

    1987 Haro Extreme (undermount rear brake) mtn bike with Shimano LX and Rock Shox fork
    2009 Kona Hei-Hei 2-9

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Uhh, ok so you have a Bachelors degree in art. You can paint and likely draw. WHY are you working at lowlife Walmart jobs?

    Look for work as a graphics designer. Or commercial artist. Both are sit down jobs that pay fairly well. Not great, but decent.

    And, do your paintings in the evenings and weekends as side money. Best of both worlds.
    how the hell do i get those jobs though?! every time I look for one it always requires me to know a ton of programs and have years of experience.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terre Haute, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, depending on the day
    My Bikes
    n, I would like n+1
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you've got a degree in art, and are complaining that you can't get a job in business? Perhaps Rob P has the right idea. If not, maybe a degree in another field, or a call center would work. The downside of call centers is that the turnover rate is high because the job sucks. The up side is that the pay is decent for the hours, and if you can suffer through then you get health insurance after a certain point.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terre Haute, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, depending on the day
    My Bikes
    n, I would like n+1
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfishin View Post
    how the hell do i get those jobs though?! every time I look for one it always requires me to know a ton of programs and have years of experience.
    Either find a way to learn the programs (find a student copy you can buy somewhere online, they all have them), or start doing some volunteer work in whatever field you want so that you have some experience to show.

  24. #24
    Blocking your fire exits coffeecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    sa-saska-what
    My Bikes
    Xtracycle conversion, RM Sherpa 30, Opus Mondano, Omega mixte, Norco Sasquatch (early 80's)
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfishin View Post
    how the hell do i get those jobs though?! every time I look for one it always requires me to know a ton of programs and have years of experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
    Either find a way to learn the programs (find a student copy you can buy somewhere online, they all have them), or start doing some volunteer work in whatever field you want so that you have some experience to show.
    You find a company desperate for any design work, and bull**** your way in. I have a 4-year BFA and taught myself Illustrator, FlexiSign and CorelDraw on the fly. You can sign out books from the library and buy programs for cheap with an education license. (I have Creative Suite, cost me about $340 Cdn as opposed to $1200 for business license.) Now I've been in the field for almost four years, and I can synthesize a lot of different areas, such as digital, screenprinting, and vinyl cut. Lots of straight-outta-college graphics arts diplomas only deal with offset printing which is why I won't lose my job to some guy from the local tech college.

    Doesn't matter if they're asking for people with experience, apply regardless. Sure you'll encounter rejection, but you can't get the job if you don't apply. I had ZERO experience, except for a Photoshop class, and the drive to escape my ****ty catering job. Took me 10 months and I almost gave up several times, but keep cranking out the resumes.
    Last edited by coffeecake; 11-16-09 at 03:11 PM. Reason: emphasis
    Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.
    ~ Oscar Wilde

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    You find a company desperate for any design work, and bull**** your way in. I have a 4-year BFA and taught myself Illustrator, FlexiSign and CorelDraw on the fly. You can sign out books from the library and buy programs for cheap with an education license. (I have Creative Suite, cost me about $340 Cdn as opposed to $1200 for business license.) Now I've been in the field for almost four years, and I can synthesize a lot of different areas, such as digital, screenprinting, and vinyl cut. Lots of straight-outta-college graphics arts diplomas only deal with offset printing which is why I won't lose my job to some guy from the local tech college.

    Doesn't matter if they're asking for people with experience, apply regardless. Sure you'll encounter rejection, but you can't get the job if you don't apply. I had ZERO experience, except for a Photoshop class, and the drive to escape my ****ty catering job. Took me 10 months and I almost gave up several times, but keep cranking out the resumes.

    are there any special places to look for these types of jobs or should i just monster them all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •