Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Ancestry.com?

  1. #1
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ancestry.com?

    Who's used it? I'm pretty curious what it brings up. I'm sort of oblivious of my family and we're shrouded in a bit of secrecy as it is. I'm just interested in finding out more about it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on your nationality; Italy's the easiest, just for fun a family member tried and they got it wrong, all the while we knew, still having plenty of cousins back there. As far as those families that've been here in the states for awhile, it's a matter of public record that they rely upon, a step saver I'd say. Germany and scandinavian countries may not be bad either. Slovic heritage, names have been altered. Ireland from inlaw's exp., again just for curiosity came out ridculous. Everybody came from Cork; that was was the port from which they'd embarked so it doesn't speak to the fact that they'd traveled a hundred miles or so to get to the port. It'll provide clues, weak ones leading to stronger ones.
    I have more but it's a start. An Aunt of mine is published in such matters.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    by the football hall of fame
    Posts
    850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your family is from New Jersey it is worthless.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right

  4. #4
    Chepooka StupidlyBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

    What else do you need to know?

  5. #5
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old and new View Post
    Depends on your nationality ; Italy's the easiest, just for fun a family member tried and they got it wrong, all the while we knew, still having plenty of cousins back there. As far as those families that've been here in the states for awhile, it's a matter of public record that they rely upon, a step saver I'd say. Germany and scandinavian countries may not be bad either. Slovic heritage, names have been altered. Ireland from inlaw's exp., again just for curiosity came out ridculous. Everybody came from Cork; that was was the port from which they'd embarked so it doesn't speak to the fact that they'd traveled a hundred miles or so to get to the port. It'll provide clues, weak ones leading to stronger ones.
    I have more but it's a start. An Aunt of mine is published in such matters.
    incorrect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Danw View Post
    If your family is from New Jersey it is worthless.
    incorrect.

  6. #6
    Free Velo Vol! Velo Vol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Velo Volmobile
    Posts
    19,459
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The easiest way to discover family history is to find someone before you who already did all the research.

  7. #7
    smorenivore colorider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    My Bikes
    '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    356
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
    The easiest way to discover family history is to find someone before you who already did all the research.
    +1 Thanks Mom.
    One does not simply ride their bike into Mordor! - electrik

  8. #8
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,083
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
    The easiest way to discover family history is to find someone before you who already did all the research.
    Sadly, Ithink his parents are a test tube and a turkey baster.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  9. #9
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    13,937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All if these sites and software programs are based in Utah. This is no coincidence. The Mormons attach a great importance to genealogy and it is to their benefit to know as much as they can. If you, for instance, establish your family tree through them, then a descendant becomes Mormon, you may be posthumously baptized into the Mormon Church.

    Another angle is that if you supply information that you or someone else has researched, you give it away for free, but they make money on it.

    Maybe getting the help in researching your ancestry makes the above irrelevant, but you should be aware of that I guess.

    I have a distant cousin that has put a fair amount of effort into genealogical research. He had no problem sharing it with me, but he said that he did not want the information to become public for the above reasons. He didn't want Ancestry.com to make money off his research.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  10. #10
    smorenivore colorider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    My Bikes
    '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    356
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    All if these sites and software programs are based in Utah. This is no coincidence. The Mormons attach a great importance to genealogy and it is to their benefit to know as much as they can. If you, for instance, establish your family tree through them, then a descendant becomes Mormon, you may be posthumously baptized into the Mormon Church.

    Another angle is that if you supply information that you or someone else has researched, you give it away for free, but they make money on it.

    Maybe getting the help in researching your ancestry makes the above irrelevant, but you should be aware of that I guess.

    I have a distant cousin that has put a fair amount of effort into genealogical research. He had no problem sharing it with me, but he said that he did not want the information to become public for the above reasons. He didn't want Ancestry.com to make money off his research.
    They baptize the deceased?
    One does not simply ride their bike into Mordor! - electrik

  11. #11
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,083
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    They baptize the deceased?
    Holy zombies are the new "in" thing.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  12. #12
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,628
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    meh....if you go back far enough, I'm sure you'll find a monkey.

  13. #13
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    meh....if you go back far enough, I'm sure you'll find a monkey.
    I can get about 3 generations on my dad's side. My grandpa had 4 brothers and he's the only one with my last name. The rest were all named the family name. No one is sure why that happened, but it did.

  14. #14
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,628
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alpine's not a family name?

  15. #15
    Senior Member TuckertonRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive used the site. my impression is that it makes a lot of things easier like searching through census records - on the other hand, it can make things difficult in that the searches you put in bring up completely irrelevant "matches". And most of the useful information you'll find are from documents which aren't on the site (old voter registrations, death certificates, etc).

  16. #16
    Chepooka StupidlyBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    Alpine's not a family name?
    No, otherwise Sunbeam would be his older brother.


  17. #17
    Seņor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    They baptize the deceased?
    If you understood the doctrine, it would make sense. Foo isn't the place for that discussion though.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    Holy zombies are the new "in" thing.
    You obviously have us confused with Hollywood. If you'd only stop falling asleep during class...
    The search for inner peace continues...

  18. #18
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    13,937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you Mormon, USAZorro?

    If I misstated the concept, I meant no offense.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  19. #19
    Mystery Meat gitarzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Oh!
    My Bikes
    Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.
    Posts
    1,035
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are embarking on an adventure of great satisfaction and incredible frustration...

    There are a number of free resources...

    http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/

    http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

    http://www.cyndislist.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    Is a ukulele player in a mandolin town and banned from all bars by the chief of police unless he leaves his strings and gravy at the front door.

  20. #20
    Seņor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    Are you Mormon, USAZorro?

    If I misstated the concept, I meant no offense.
    Doohickie,

    Thanks for your concern. You did fine, all things considered. No offense taken here.
    The search for inner peace continues...

  21. #21
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gitarzan View Post
    You are embarking on an adventure of great satisfaction and incredible frustration...

    There are a number of free resources...

    http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/

    http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

    http://www.cyndislist.com/
    That's weird, none of those sites comes up with anything other than my grandparents. My dad, my uncle and aunt, my cousins, my sis, and me are not being brought up at all.

  22. #22
    Seņor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    That's weird, none of those sites comes up with anything other than my grandparents. My dad, my uncle and aunt, my cousins, my sis, and me are not being brought up at all.
    I'm pretty sure that there's a substantial lag in the release of public records to these secondary sources (like 50-60 years). I think that with the publishing of 2010 census data, the next release of records will be triggered. It might include that information you're looking for.
    The search for inner peace continues...

  23. #23
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
    I'm pretty sure that there's a substantial lag in the release of public records to these secondary sources (like 50-60 years). I think that with the publishing of 2010 census data, the next release of records will be triggered. It might include that information you're looking for.
    my grandfather's death was recorded, and that was 9 years ago.

  24. #24
    on by skijor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Vision R40, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    meh....if you go back far enough, I'm sure you'll shock the monkey.
    Peter Gabriel'd it for you

  25. #25
    smorenivore colorider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    My Bikes
    '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    356
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
    If you understood the doctrine, it would make sense. Foo isn't the place for that discussion though.
    I meant no offense either. I just had never heard of that but I agree it's not a topic for Foo.
    One does not simply ride their bike into Mordor! - electrik

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •