Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Brewing root beer

    Anyone home brew their own root beer? I remember doing it as a kid with my dad and I'm thinking about trying it again with the kiddos. Any suggestions would be great. I'm currently looking at getting this to start with and seeing how it goes.

  2. #2
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,464
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is cute. UA is bonding with the kids.

    And here I thought you were allergic to anyone under the age of 17.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  3. #3
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    This is cute. UA is bonding with the kids.

    And here I thought you were allergic to anyone under the age of 17.
    I do sneeze a lot around them.

    We're going to build volcanoes tonight. And I found a dumpster kids bike that I'm going to fix up for them. It makes it easier because of how good they really are. They throw tantrums every once in a while, but not often and that makes it fun to be with them.

  4. #4
    Wildflower Century TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    My Bikes
    Trek Soho, Fisher Aquila
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same kit with my son, and it was a blast. We made a mess, and some pretty good root beer in the process. I like that the kit has everything you need for a small batch, and you can see what the process is. If you want to do larger batches after that, you can always buy more PET bottles, root beer extract, and sanitizer from any homebrew store.

    Check out this forum for more on root beer: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/

  5. #5
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,464
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    I do sneeze a lot around them.

    We're going to build volcanoes tonight. And I found a dumpster kids bike that I'm going to fix up for them. It makes it easier because of how good they really are. They throw tantrums every once in a while, but not often and that makes it fun to be with them.
    Almost as fun as having a cat, huh?

    I told you kids aren't scary. You didn't believe me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  6. #6
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I did the same kit with my son, and it was a blast. We made a mess, and some pretty good root beer in the process. I like that the kit has everything you need for a small batch, and you can see what the process is. If you want to do larger batches after that, you can always buy more PET bottles, root beer extract, and sanitizer from any homebrew store.

    Check out this forum for more on root beer: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/
    Cool, thanks. For $20, it just seems like a fun thing to try out. If they like doing it, we can get more serious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    Almost as fun as having a cat, huh?

    I told you kids aren't scary. You didn't believe me.
    Oh no no no... They're still scary. I've had to just leave a couple of times. They bring a lot of noise and energy with them and sometimes it's just tough to deal with. I suppose as things keep going, I'll get more used to it.

    They give me hugs.

  7. #7
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,464
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait till they look at you with that evil grin and with a deep sneer walk away from you. From that day on you'll sleep lightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  8. #8
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    Wait till they look at you with that evil grin and with a deep sneer walk away from you. From that day on you'll sleep lightly.
    Thanks for that.

  9. #9
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,464
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay that was bad. I'm just teasing you. I'm sure her kids are angels.

    I only say that to mess with you because my co worker's daughter has a step son who is 6. He told her that he wants to kill her when she's asleep. But then again she treats him in a very bad way ...we are afraid all the kids will be taken away from her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  10. #10
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    Okay that was bad. I'm just teasing you. I'm sure her kids are angels.

    I only say that to mess with you because my co worker's daughter has a step son who is 6. He told her that he wants to kill her when she's asleep. But then again she treats him in a very bad way ...we are afraid all the kids will be taken away from her.
    Holy crap! That sounds like a horrible situation for everyone! I just get to act goofy around them and they seem to like it. I'm staying out of the discipline thing and letting Joy handle all of that.

  11. #11
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,464
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't let them chug too much of that rootbeer or you'll spoil their appetites!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  12. #12
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    Just don't let them chug too much of that rootbeer or you'll spoil their appetites!
    I want to get them musical instruments but then I realize I have to live with them...

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nanaimo.B.C. The We't coast of Canada
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    air guitar and headphones for you and them.

  14. #14
    superArti artifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnersoter
    My Bikes
    2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    Anyone home brew their own root beer? I remember doing it as a kid with my dad and I'm thinking about trying it again with the kiddos. Any suggestions would be great. I'm currently looking at getting this to start with and seeing how it goes.
    Why don't you ask your pops?

    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    I told you kids aren't scary. You didn't believe me.
    I still believe kids are scary, despite UA's apparent acclimation.

    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    Oh no no no... They're still scary. I've had to just leave a couple of times. They bring a lot of noise and energy with them and sometimes it's just tough to deal with. I suppose as things keep going, I'll get more used to it.

    They give me hugs.
    ha! see, siu? they are still scary.
    hugs are good.!
    i woke up one morning and i stepped out of bed | had to get a bike, had to paint it red
    Of all the treasures I have, itís the memories that are the most precious.

  15. #15
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,682
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pop and I tried to make Ginger Ale recently.
    It was very carbonated when it was done, but....
    Well, let's just say that the carburetor from the lawn mower is sparkly clean.

    Worst tasting most foul ichor I've ever encountered.

  16. #16
    Found my way <3 2 Ride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    On the shore
    My Bikes
    Salsa Campeon, Specialized Crux, Bottechia Mixte
    Posts
    1,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    That is all.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

    Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon


  17. #17
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2011 Windsor Shetland mini-velo, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,687
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My roomie and I (way before I got married) got a kit and did three 2L batches of root beer over the course of several months. The first was the best and the latter two never caught up to the first.

    I love root beer, so send me some if the kids don't drink it all.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2011 Windsor Shetland
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I Debian: II openSUSE: I

  18. #18
    runnin' down a dream edbikebabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    My Bikes
    Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.
    Posts
    2,741
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmmm I remember making root beer when I was little. LOTS of sugar & some syrup/extract stuff. And stubby bottles.

    Now I'm all nostalgic.

    I'm curious to hear how it goes - keep us updated.

  19. #19
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edbikebabe View Post
    Mmmmm I remember making root beer when I was little. LOTS of sugar & some syrup/extract stuff. And stubby bottles.

    Now I'm all nostalgic.

    I'm curious to hear how it goes - keep us updated.
    Will do. I'm going to see if my dad still has the resealable Grolsch bottles that we used. That would be awesome.

  20. #20
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just make sure everything is clean....real clean.

  21. #21
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    just make sure everything is clean....real clean.
    I've done some homebrew... That's the key tenet, I had sort of assumed it also applied to root beer.

  22. #22
    Free @coasting RUOkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In a Haggard Song
    My Bikes
    2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500
    Posts
    9,683
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    I've done some homebrew... That's the key tenet, I had sort of assumed it also applied to root beer.
    Just make sure you leave the fermentation out of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
    Being full of crap and depositing it here consistently is really nothing to be proud of.

  23. #23
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
    Just make sure you leave the fermentation out of it
    Wait, what?!? That would take the alcohol out of it... How are the kids... oh crap, <3 2 ride is going to read this...

  24. #24
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
    Just make sure you leave the fermentation out of it
    incorrect
    http://www.leeners.com/sodapop.html

  25. #25
    Free @coasting RUOkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In a Haggard Song
    My Bikes
    2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500
    Posts
    9,683
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
    Being full of crap and depositing it here consistently is really nothing to be proud of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •