Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terre Haute, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, depending on the day
    My Bikes
    n, I would like n+1
    Posts
    1,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help solve my automotive mystery

    1993 Ford Probe, 4 cyl 2.0L, 5sp manual, 127,717 as of getting gas this morning.
    Saturday evening I went from Columbus, OH to Lafayette, IN. Average ambient temperature is ~20*F. The car started quickly and without problems, and proceeded to idle smoothly as usual. Nothing seemed unusual in the drive (girlfriend driving to learn stick, I'm the only passenger).
    Around 3 hours in we stopped at a gas station near the freeway to fill up as the tank was ~2 gallons from empty (15.5 gas tank, added 13.5) After filling up the car wouldn't start. It turned over ok, the lights were not dim, it just didn't start.
    After two iterations of this I traded places and got in the driver's seat, same thing. If I held the gas pedal down just a bit the car started and ran with no problems, even if I had it at idle speed (900 rpm). However, as soon as I released the accelerator it would die. No stumbling, coughing, or trying at all, it just died as if I had turned off the key. After doing that again (start, die) I restarted the car (holding the accelerator down slightly) and proceeded to get on to the freeway operating both the brake and clutch with my left foot, and maintaining some pressure on the accelerator with my right. After ~ 1 minute on the freeway I depressed the clutch, released the gas pedal, and the car idled smoothly as if nothing was ever wrong. The next morning (Sunday) I tried to start it, and it started and idled without any problems.
    Monday I drove to work(65 miles each way) and back, no problems starting, idling, or running.
    Tuesday on the way home I made 1 stop ~20 miles in and then drove the rest of the way home, no problems starting, idling. etc., warm or cold starts.
    This morning (Wednesday), no problems starting, got gas on the way in to work (40 miles in), and had the same problem. Once more a slight depression of the accelerator pedal got me going. The car did die when I stopped at the freeway entrance and forgot to hold down the gas pedal a bit, but started up just fine when I did. As before, a test 60 seconds down the road showed no problems. When I got to work I shut my car off, waited 60 seconds, and restarted it with no problems, and no need to hold down the accelerator.

    At this point I've concluded that it has something to do with putting fuel in the tank, and I have 4 theories:

    1) My car doesn't like gas stations, and is trying to condition me not to go to them.
    2) My car really likes gas stations, and wants to stay once it gets there.
    3) Water in the tank.
    4) Clogged fuel filter.

    1 and 2 don't seem scientific enough for my engineering mind. 3 and 4 have some holes as well since it runs without problem with just a little pressure on the gas pedal.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central IL
    My Bikes
    1987 Nishiki Altron 7000, 1991 Trek 520, 2008 Trek 7100
    Posts
    312
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a Mazda.

  3. #3
    Fred at large
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Roads of Ventura County Ca
    Posts
    640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably a sensor or solenoid that tells the computer to provide fuel at idle or holds open the throttle has failed. What sensor I don't know because I'm not up on modern cars or FI systems. It could even be a smog related sensor or even the computer itself. You need to take the car to a mech who has the diagnostic tools to read the system parameters.

    Of course it could be that your car just doesn't like the specific gas stations you're taking it to. You Cheapskate.
    I am Fred, hear me slurp my Grande Mocha.

    ***
    2006 60cm Orbea Orca with 2009 Rival
    1985 55cm Nishiki lugged steel with Shimano parts and Rigida wheels (C&V for sale)

    1987 Haro Extreme (undermount rear brake) mtn bike with Shimano LX and Rock Shox fork
    2009 Kona Hei-Hei 2-9

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terre Haute, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, depending on the day
    My Bikes
    n, I would like n+1
    Posts
    1,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probe 1957-
    This is true, but I've never had a significant problem in the last 50k miles that my former room mate or I owned it, and it's just not efficient to drive the modded Camaro ('91) 150 miles/day.

  5. #5
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a bike!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    My Bikes
    2008 fetish illustre
    Posts
    872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, might be the fuel filter or fuel pressure regulator.

    There's a good chance the car is reporting errors when it won't start. Head down to your friendly autoparts store and have them scan the computer. Maybe that will clue you in.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terre Haute, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, depending on the day
    My Bikes
    n, I would like n+1
    Posts
    1,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Probably a sensor or solenoid that tells the computer to provide fuel at idle or holds open the throttle has failed. What sensor I don't know because I'm not up on modern cars or FI systems. It could even be a smog related sensor or even the computer itself. You need to take the car to a mech who has the diagnostic tools to read the system parameters.

    Of course it could be that your car just doesn't like the specific gas stations you're taking it to. You Cheapskate.
    No check engine light, and no error codes registering (already checked that), plus it's not OBD2 so the local places can't scan it.
    If it's a solenoid, why does it only happen when I refill the tank and not the other 7 times I've started it since then?
    I've been to doth gas stations at least a dozen times.
    If an O2 sensor, why isn't it lacking on power, stumbling at idle, or not starting other times?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terre Haute, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, depending on the day
    My Bikes
    n, I would like n+1
    Posts
    1,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    Get a bike!
    Already have several. They aren't good for the 65 mile commute in the winter, I'm not PCAD. I did bike to work once over the summer, and then spent the rest of the day answering the question "You biked HOW FAR to get here?"

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terre Haute, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, depending on the day
    My Bikes
    n, I would like n+1
    Posts
    1,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palesaint View Post
    Yeah, might be the fuel filter or fuel pressure regulator.

    There's a good chance the car is reporting errors when it won't start. Head down to your friendly autoparts store and have them scan the computer. Maybe that will clue you in.
    No error codes.

  10. #10
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
    Already have several. They aren't good for the 65 mile commute in the winter, I'm not PCAD. I did bike to work once over the summer, and then spent the rest of the day answering the question "You biked HOW FAR to get here?"
    move a little closer then.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terre Haute, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, depending on the day
    My Bikes
    n, I would like n+1
    Posts
    1,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    move a little closer then.
    Then I wouldn't be able to live with the girlfriend. I suppose I could make her move too, but with her PhD work at Purdue, she already leaves when I do and often gets in much later. It isn't the commute I mind, it's my car not starting when I put fuel in to it.

  12. #12
    K2ProFlex baby! ilikebikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
    My Bikes
    to many to list
    Posts
    6,099
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by probe1957 View Post
    It's a Mazda.
    lucky, if it were a true Ford it prob wouldn't have made it off the production line.
    You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

  13. #13
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
    Then I wouldn't be able to live with the girlfriend. I suppose I could make her move too, but with her PhD work at Purdue, she already leaves when I do and often gets in much later. It isn't the commute I mind, it's my car not starting when I put fuel in to it.
    well....new car?

  14. #14
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    call Click and Clack

    http://www.cartalk.com/Radio/Show/

  15. #15
    Senior Member noise boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Baltimore
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is the Idle Air Control is intermittent (it's the air bleeder that allows the car to idle, takes the place of an idle screw on a carb).

  16. #16
    Arsehole PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
    No check engine light, and no error codes registering (already checked that), plus it's not OBD2 so the local places can't scan it.
    If it's a solenoid, why does it only happen when I refill the tank and not the other 7 times I've started it since then?
    I've been to doth gas stations at least a dozen times.
    If an O2 sensor, why isn't it lacking on power, stumbling at idle, or not starting other times?
    Check engine light only comes on when it's an emissions-related electronic issue.

    Did you leave the key on while you filled the tank?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Posts
    4,721
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a dirty Throttle Body. If cleaning that doesn't fix it I'd try the MAP sensor next (but I'd expect that to cause a 'Check Engine' light).
    My Camry sometimes has the same symptom. Will not keep running when started unless I keep my foot on the gas, but once it's driven for a minute or so it runs fine. But I haven't had any correlation with stopping at gas stations - it's been pretty random.

    See:
    http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/idleproblems.html

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terre Haute, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, depending on the day
    My Bikes
    n, I would like n+1
    Posts
    1,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    well....new car?
    But with a simple fix, this one may well continue to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by randya View Post
    Strongly considering that at this point. I always have enjoyed their show.
    Quote Originally Posted by noise boy View Post
    My guess is the Idle Air Control is intermittent (it's the air bleeder that allows the car to idle, takes the place of an idle screw on a carb).
    Sounds reasonable, but once more, why only when I fill the tank (opposed to the other warm starts)?
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    Check engine light only comes on when it's an emissions-related electronic issue.
    Yes, but shorting the correct two pins at the diagnostic port should show all errors, including crank position sensors and such. No errors codes showed.
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    Did you leave the key on while you filled the tank?
    No, I always remove the key and shut off the running lights/head lamps.
    Quote Originally Posted by prathmann View Post
    Sounds like a dirty Throttle Body. If cleaning that doesn't fix it I'd try the MAP sensor next (but I'd expect that to cause a 'Check Engine' light).
    My Camry sometimes has the same symptom. Will not keep running when started unless I keep my foot on the gas, but once it's driven for a minute or so it runs fine. But I haven't had any correlation with stopping at gas stations - it's been pretty random.
    See:
    http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/idleproblems.html
    I'll look in to this, thank you.

  19. #19
    Arsehole PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prathmann View Post
    Sounds like a dirty Throttle Body. If cleaning that doesn't fix it I'd try the MAP sensor next (but I'd expect that to cause a 'Check Engine' light).
    My Camry sometimes has the same symptom. Will not keep running when started unless I keep my foot on the gas, but once it's driven for a minute or so it runs fine. But I haven't had any correlation with stopping at gas stations - it's been pretty random.

    See:
    http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/idleproblems.html
    I would start with the basics, and the above is one of the basics.
    Please note that, with Ford products, you need to use a special throttle body cleaner, rather than carb cleaner. The throttle plate has a coating on it that normal carb cleaner can destroy. It's available at most/all auto parts stores. Make sure you clean the back of the plate, and the little hole (assuming the Probes have that hole) through the plate. I would also remove the IAC (Idle Air Control) and clean the pintle on that.

    It's odd that it only does it after filling up.... maybe leaky injectors?

    Wait.
    Duh.
    Crap in the gas tank. When you fill the tank, crap (rust, bugs, all kinds of crap - you'd be surprised) on the bottom of your gas tank is mixed with the gas. It could be covering the screen on your fuel pump pickup, reducing the fuel pressure at idle. Once the crap settles to the bottom of the tank while you're driving or after you stop the car, it's all good again until you fill up the next time.

  20. #20
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I consulted with Pgoat and we are going to blame this on.............................. JET SKIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  21. #21
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    13,909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google "Ford Probe Forum" and let people who know the car fix it for you. Chances are it's an easily diagnosed problem. I've had great luck with automotive forums finding fixes to the problems my cars have had.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is a faulty Kuhneutson Valve.
    Last edited by dragracer; 01-13-10 at 04:26 PM.

  23. #23
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    <snip>
    It's odd that it only does it after filling up.... maybe leaky injectors?

    Wait.
    Duh.
    Crap in the gas tank. When you fill the tank, crap (rust, bugs, all kinds of crap - you'd be surprised) on the bottom of your gas tank is mixed with the gas. It could be covering the screen on your fuel pump pickup, reducing the fuel pressure at idle. Once the crap settles to the bottom of the tank while you're driving or after you stop the car, it's all good again until you fill up the next time.
    This. The first time you noticed it was when you put 13.5 gallons in a 15.5 capacity tank. The next time you noticed was also when you got gas. How low were you then? Rule of thumb around here is to drive using only the top 3/4 tank. When the needle gets to 1/4, time for more gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  24. #24
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,009
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Throttle position sensor? Did you get gas at Supertest on 52 and 38? Either could cause the issue. Supertest has a lot of water in their tanks and if they just took a delivery, that was all stirred up and floating around in their tanks. It takes about 2 hours to settle to the bottom of the tank again.

    Quote Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
    No check engine light, and no error codes registering (already checked that), plus it's not OBD2 so the local places can't scan it.
    If it's a solenoid, why does it only happen when I refill the tank and not the other 7 times I've started it since then?
    I've been to doth gas stations at least a dozen times.
    If an O2 sensor, why isn't it lacking on power, stumbling at idle, or not starting other times?
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    by the football hall of fame
    Posts
    850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Run a bottle of dry gas through the tank. It will dissipate any water in the tank. If the problem persists clean out the throttle position sensor with some brake cleaner, dry and reinstall.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •