Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-10, 12:03 PM   #1
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
Thread Starter
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you call out someone for using logical fallacies in informal class debates?

I'm coming across this quite often in my communications class. The class is full of people who like to say "feel good" things but are often riddled with fallacies, particularly appeal to popular opinion.

I once called this girl out and since she didnt even know what I was talking about, kept rambling about the topic.

What is a good way to point this out to people who havent taken a basic logic class?
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:09 PM   #2
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it relevant to class? If not, then grit you teeth and ignore. If so, then mention to teacher and maybe he/she will cover some basic logic/argument structure.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:11 PM   #3
trsidn 
Soggy Member
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Holler "YOU LIE" and throw something....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio View Post
.... Other than being completely wrong, you're correct.
trsidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:13 PM   #4
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I shoot first and ask questions second.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:16 PM   #5
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Two feet of garden hose and a claw hammer.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:17 PM   #6
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
Thread Starter
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
Is it relevant to class? If not, then grit you teeth and ignore. If so, then mention to teacher and maybe he/she will cover some basic logic/argument structure.
Isnt logic always relevant in a debate? Otherwise its basically trolling in real life...Right?
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:19 PM   #7
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would use sarcasm first and then resort to the cleansing power of fire. Or get a Picard face mask and a Michael Jackson glove.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:21 PM   #8
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
Thread Starter
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
strong trolls in thread.

Anyone have a serious reply?
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:23 PM   #9
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
strong trolls in thread.

Anyone have a serious reply?
umm....dude, this is foo. WTH did you ask a question here expecting a serious answer?
You might have a better chance in Trollheim.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:25 PM   #10
RUOkie
Scarlet Knight
 
RUOkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a Haggard Song
Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500
Posts: 10,781
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
umm....dude, this is foo. WTH did you ask a question here expecting a serious answer?
You might have a better chance in Trollheim.
Unlikely
RUOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:26 PM   #11
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
Thread Starter
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
umm....dude, this is foo. WTH did you ask a question here expecting a serious answer?
You might have a better chance in Trollheim.
Because it is off-topic. Where else would I post this? Road cycling forum? Get real bro.
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:27 PM   #12
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
Because it is off-topic. Where else would I post this? Road cycling forum? Get real bro.
P&R is your best bet for a serious response (which you should already know).
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:27 PM   #13
RUOkie
Scarlet Knight
 
RUOkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a Haggard Song
Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500
Posts: 10,781
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
OK real answer, You already answered you question yourself. You debate with logic. If the others are being illogical or idiotic, you call them on it, and then move on.
RUOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:27 PM   #14
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
Unlikely
Party Pooper.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:28 PM   #15
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
Anyone have a serious reply?
Learn your teacher first your subject second.

If feel good fluff is what your professor wants to hear learn to be a parrot.
If not, KT's advice is the route to take.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:32 PM   #16
mustang1
Senior Member
 
mustang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London, UK
Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail
Posts: 2,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i didn't think there was such a s thing as a Basic Logic Class. You either understand logic or you dont. And then you go to an Advanced Logic Class. I suppose by it's very nature, a logic class will be advanced by default and hence only appeal to those who are logical in the first place
mustang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:33 PM   #17
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles
 
Daspydyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20
Posts: 5,353
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Sadly, welcome to America and Reality TV?

The old socratic method sometimes works if you can get a rambler to hush.

Start with "What do you mean?" Then go to "How do you know that?" Finish with "SO What? It is meant to make a person think, not just to insult. Since many Americans resist honest thought, you may be viewed as insulting.
__________________
I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:37 PM   #18
RUOkie
Scarlet Knight
 
RUOkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a Haggard Song
Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500
Posts: 10,781
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
Sadly, welcome to America and Reality TV?

The old socratic method sometimes works if you can get a rambler to hush.

Start with "What do you mean?" Then go to "How do you know that?" Finish with "SO What? It is meant to make a person think, not just to insult. Since many Americans resist honest thought, you may be viewed as insulting.
If that is all you say, with no explanation, you are being rude. You will sound like Hanna.
RUOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:39 PM   #19
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
Learn your teacher first your subject second.

If feel good fluff is what your professor wants to hear learn to be a parrot.
If not, KT's advice is the route to take.
This
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:39 PM   #20
SneakyKing
Senior Member
 
SneakyKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dayton, ohio
Bikes: 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon, 2008 Trek fuel EX 6.5, 2005 Giant XTC, 2006 Fuji Team, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix Fixie
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
Holler "YOU LIE" and throw something....

+1 on the throwing
SneakyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:45 PM   #21
AraJudge
Senior Member
 
AraJudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oceanside, CA
Bikes: 1st 2009 Kona Blast
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
Holler "YOU LIE" and throw something....
I really have to agree with this.. its the only way it can be done

Seriously, i would go with the what do you mean? how do you know that? and so what? questioning.. knowing me it would probably come out very sarcastically. Best would probably to give a little explanation and or just keep your tone in check and i think you should be fine with that
AraJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:46 PM   #22
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
Thread Starter
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
Sadly, welcome to America and Reality TV?

The old socratic method sometimes works if you can get a rambler to hush.

Start with "What do you mean?" Then go to "How do you know that?" Finish with "SO What? It is meant to make a person think, not just to insult. Since many Americans resist honest thought, you may be viewed as insulting.
This "debate" happens in a classroom setting so I cant just say blurt out "how do you know that?" "so what?". I have to raise my hand and address the person when called.

I took a philosophy class, "Philosophy and Public Affairs" and even in that class we saw little other than mere opinions, however, that class had a considerably higher intelligence than this class(no offense to communications majors).

Would it be tactful(sp) to email the professor and address my concerns and asks what is expected of us?
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:48 PM   #23
PlatyPius
Arsehole
 
PlatyPius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 2,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
6 bars of soap in a pillowcase.

Confound them with transcendental mumblings.

Logic doesn't apply to anyone still in college. Try beer instead.
PlatyPius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 12:48 PM   #24
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
Because it is off-topic. Where else would I post this? Road cycling forum? Get real bro.
Get over yourself dude....this Foo and what 99% of Foo is all about. You want a serious reply without the funny ones, try a school forum or something.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 01:03 PM   #25
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
Thread Starter
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
try a school forum or something.
lol wut. Next time you post anything not related to bicycles I'm going to ask you to visit the approriate forum. Off-topic is off-topic brah.

To others, thanks for the replies I got a better feel for what I should do.
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:33 PM.