This has been one stinky summer thanks to work! So, here is a little rant to vent some frustration. If you don't want to see my pitty party, then don't read on.
1. Roll out new AIX & Windows 2003 servers for a crummy flat file Kobal database application that isn't even HIPAA compliant!
2. My Help Desk guy quits in March just before I have to fly to Ohio to spend a week in AIX training.
3. Hire new person to fill the Help Desk position. He quits after month stating, "I need to be around people more than this job allows." WTF!
4. 5 NetWare 6 servers that still need the latest patches applied!
5. New AIX & Win2003 application updates in and still not applied.
6. Expand the network by 20 users spread out over 55,000 sq/miles & 20 facilities!
7. Update front end applications for the new AIX & Win2003 POS application. 200 computers, 25 facilities!
8. Get into bike crash, brake 2 ribs, road rash, huge hematoma on my left hip, mild concussion. Can't lift anything for 3 weeks!
9. Hire new Help Desk person.
10. New person works 1 week. Does not show up, call, or email me the second week! WTF! And she has the keys to EVERYTHING! UURRRGGGG!
11. Opening a new facility that includes a WAN link back to our Administrative office.
12. New Cisco routers for moving our small offices from dial up VPN to broadband. (25 facilities). WHERE IS MY BUDGET TO GET THIS DONE!
13. Received word that the new facility has to be up by September 1st!
14. Windows security updates cause STOP errors when logging into the pc with the NetWare client!
15. Office 2003 does not like to play nice with the old HP 5si running at 10Mbps and little memory.
16. Install new printer to replace the 5si since I couldn't find memory for the 5si!
17. Fiber link goes offline in our Helena facility. Drive 90 miles one way to reset the fiber transceivers because there is no body there brave enough to follow my instructions!
18. Staff in our Browning office unplugs the computers and phones in the reception area for a remodel with out labeling any of it. They try to put things back together to no avail. Sooo, I drive the 140 miles one way to find they have the analog modem plugged into the digital PBX phone jack and the digital phone plugged into the analog modem jack. Modem fried. You can actually smell the smoke in the modem.
19. Hire new Help Desk person. His first day was today. Train the new guy!
20. Drive back to Browning to install new modem.
OK, there ya have it. 20 reasons why my summer sucked. (this is only the highlights)
No chance of vacation. No chance in sight before winter sets in. Burn-out is fast approaching.
Thank god I commute by bicycle. Otherwise I would need to schedule an appointment with one of our Psychiatrists to get some heavy meds!
Ok, there is my pitty party. Now, I have work to do.