You guys seem to be pretty tech savy.....so here goes.
I'm currently using a 3yr old 14" Dell Inspiron that's dying on me. Everything works fine (except the battery and the charger). The other thing that annoys me is the screen hinge that's very loose.
I would like to keep it at 14" as I find this to be the ideal size for me. It's big enough so that I don't have to squint to read, but small enough so it isn't too much pain to carry around. I'm looking for a PC. Not really interested in a Mac right now.
The brands that I've been looking at are:
Dell (Inspiron & Studio)
Lenovo (not sure which model)
But I'm open to other brands if you think they're superior (in design, more efficient, more robust & more reliable) than the brands I've listed above.
Of the three brands (Dell, HP & Lenovo)....in general, which brand seems to be the most reliable? Does one brand stand out more? Or are they very similar? Does one brand stand out more for being unreliable (i.e. lots of warranty repairs needed?).
One last comment/question. Intel came out with their "i" line of CPUs. Are they much superior than the Duo Cores (or Duo 2 Cores)? I see a few machines within my price range spec'd out with an i3 CPU.
I'm also a little worried about their new line because it hasn't been proven yet. Let me know your opinion on this.
1) What is your budget?
$600 - $700
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Mostly web browsing, e-mail, exel work, online banking, Instant messaging, webcam chats (Skype), watching DVDs, burning CDs, using it for travel (for the tasks above), playing music (as background music as I'm doing the tasks above).
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Mostly leaving on my lap, but I do occasionally take it with me.
8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Not really a gamer.
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
The more the better. But I think 3+ is a good number since I would like to watch a movie and do some work on it before it dies out.
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Ok to buy online without seeing (as long as you guys think it's a reliable brand).
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
XP & 7
12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
•Standard Resolutions: WXGA, HD, 720p
•Actual resolutions: 1280x800 and 1366x768
•Offered on larger Netbooks and Notebooks up to 16"
•Midrange Resolutions: WXGA+, HD+, 900p
•Actual resolutions: 1440x900 and 1600x900
•Offered on all Notebooks. Keep in mind text will be very small on a 12" WXGA+ notebook.
13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
No preference, although I don't like glare too much....but I can live with it.
Build Quality and Design
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
No. But I would prefer something small & light if i had to make a choice between two identically priced machines with identical specs.
15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
At least 4 - 5 years
16) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
300GB range is fine. No idea what an SSD drive is. Can someone pls explain?
17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
I would prefer a CD/DVD drive (burner preferred)