Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I have lyme disease.

    Sucks. Results from a blood test just came in. But that's why my knee swelled up, as some of you may recall from my thread about MRIs. I've had it for 2 or 3 years.
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  2. #2
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,547
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least they know what the problem is. And from there it can be handled. Hang in there, PC. Well wishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  3. #3
    I... Don't care. nekohime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch. That sucks.
    Wanna join my charity folding bike ride? Sign-up here!
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way :p

  4. #4
    Bike Junkie aadhils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    My Bikes
    Orange Brompton M3L; Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange)
    Posts
    1,587
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch that sucks. I used to have Phylaria (a minor form of malaria) 12 years ago. Hope you get better.

  5. #5
    Chepooka StupidlyBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Posts
    1,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That really sucks. Particularly the part about having it for a while without knowing. Doesn't that make the prognosis worse?

  6. #6
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first test they did was a lyme titer test, which they called more of a preliminary test. I just had a more comprehensive joint fluid test ordered today, which I guess will confirm the present diagnosis. When they extracted my joint fluid, they found rice bodies, which they say is often a result of arthritis, which we now know would be a result of the disease.
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  7. #7
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So have you started antibiotic treatments yet, or do they wait to see what the secondary tests show? The little bit of reading I have done shows it usually can be dealt with via oral antibiotics.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  8. #8
    Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get well soon PC.
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  9. #9
    Caustic Soccer Mom apclassic9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Millstone WV
    Posts
    1,761
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother (lives in upper NYS) contracted that a few years ago - he noticed the tic bite & took medication promptly and has not (as yet) noticed any after-effects. I hope that treating you lyme disease at this point has the same result!! Keep us updated..... and for the rest of you bike riding foosters - THERE'S A SHOT FOR THAT!! Invest the $50 for the 2 shot series if you live in an area where Lyme Disease is common!
    As with mud, life, too, slides by.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,757
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck, PC.
    I'm sorry you have to go through that.

  11. #11
    I STILL miss East Hill :) Rollfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Where my bike's at
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    2,667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, man. If only the the cure were Vodka disease. I hope they figure this one out soon.

  12. #12
    K2ProFlex baby! ilikebikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
    My Bikes
    to many to list
    Posts
    6,093
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    feel better dude.
    You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

  13. #13
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,547
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apclassic9 View Post
    My brother (lives in upper NYS) contracted that a few years ago - he noticed the tic bite & took medication promptly and has not (as yet) noticed any after-effects. I hope that treating you lyme disease at this point has the same result!! Keep us updated..... and for the rest of you bike riding foosters - THERE'S A SHOT FOR THAT!! Invest the $50 for the 2 shot series if you live in an area where Lyme Disease is common!
    Good advice, ap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  14. #14
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,547
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apclassic9 View Post
    My brother (lives in upper NYS) contracted that a few years ago - he noticed the tic bite & took medication promptly and has not (as yet) noticed any after-effects. I hope that treating you lyme disease at this point has the same result!! Keep us updated..... and for the rest of you bike riding foosters - THERE'S A SHOT FOR THAT!! Invest the $50 for the 2 shot series if you live in an area where Lyme Disease is common!
    Good advice, ap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  15. #15
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get better soon. The treatment can be a fairly involved round of antibiotics depending on the stage and type of infection. B. burgdorferi can present long-acting beta lactamase and cephalosponinase in certain strains which make standard penicillin/cephalosporin treatments ineffective and infusions of ampicillin or (in extreme cases) vancomycin are necessary. The real tricky part is that Bb is essentially a shapeshifter: It can take a spirochete or cystic form depending on the host environment, and it can act as an intracellular or extracellular infection depending on the treatment adminstered. So it's common to need a "double up" round of antibiotics, one designed for each morphic type, to knock the infection clean.

    Ask if their titer test was a Platelia Lyme IgG/M EIA. (I'm just curious if they're using my company's kit)

    Presence of IgG vs IgM will tell docs what stage of infection you're in (no IgM means you're past primary infection stage, but IgG levels don't peak sometimes until years after exposure. Low IgM and IgG means you're just coming onto ramp up. Low IgG alone means it's still early stage.) Antibody titers for both M and G can be present with or without the presence of erythema migrans (the typical Lyme disease skin rash.) Even if serology is negative, if clinical symptoms are indicative of infection they should also run a Western Blot for verification, and a 3 week follow-up titer on either blot or EIA.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  16. #16
    Immoderator KrisPistofferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    POS Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
    Posts
    7,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't you glad he ran all those tests now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeforums
    Your rights end where another poster's feelings begin.

  17. #17
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I most likely contracted this in New Hampshire -- which has the highest lyme disease rate -- while mountain biking. On several occasions I found ticks on my head, presumably they fell through the vents on my helmet. So because Lyme disease is very uncommon where I'm going to college, there aren't many physicians who treat it.
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  18. #18
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea there was a shot for this...I'm getting one before summer hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  19. #19
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,331
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I were you I'd be ticked.

    Hope you feel better. That does suck.

  20. #20
    Senior Member jeneralist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Adventure 400; 1983 Trek 620; Bilenky Ti Tourlite
    Posts
    677
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apclassic9 View Post
    My brother (lives in upper NYS) contracted that a few years ago - he noticed the tic bite & took medication promptly and has not (as yet) noticed any after-effects. I hope that treating you lyme disease at this point has the same result!! Keep us updated..... and for the rest of you bike riding foosters - THERE'S A SHOT FOR THAT!! Invest the $50 for the 2 shot series if you live in an area where Lyme Disease is common!
    I know that there had been a vaccine for it, once upon a time, but I thought it had been taken off the market because it wasn't making enough money for the drug company. Apclassic9, where and when did you get the shot?
    - Jeneralist

    See video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv4CrEEg_N4 to see me in the Outrageous Outfit Challenge for the MS Society; or go straight to http://goo.gl/bALZDg to donate

  21. #21
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
    Get better soon. The treatment can be a fairly involved round of antibiotics depending on the stage and type of infection. B. burgdorferi can present long-acting beta lactamase and cephalosponinase in certain strains which make standard penicillin/cephalosporin treatments ineffective and infusions of ampicillin or (in extreme cases) vancomycin are necessary. The real tricky part is that Bb is essentially a shapeshifter: It can take a spirochete or cystic form depending on the host environment, and it can act as an intracellular or extracellular infection depending on the treatment adminstered. So it's common to need a "double up" round of antibiotics, one designed for each morphic type, to knock the infection clean.

    Ask if their titer test was a Platelia Lyme IgG/M EIA. (I'm just curious if they're using my company's kit)

    Presence of IgG vs IgM will tell docs what stage of infection you're in (no IgM means you're past primary infection stage, but IgG levels don't peak sometimes until years after exposure. Low IgM and IgG means you're just coming onto ramp up. Low IgG alone means it's still early stage.) Antibody titers for both M and G can be present with or without the presence of erythema migrans (the typical Lyme disease skin rash.) Even if serology is negative, if clinical symptoms are indicative of infection they should also run a Western Blot for verification, and a 3 week follow-up titer on either blot or EIA.
    Heheheheheheheheh. Tit-ers. Heheheheheheheh.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  22. #22
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgoat View Post
    I had no idea there was a shot for this...I'm getting one before summer hits.
    Me neither!!! Will look into this too. Used to work with a bartender who had lyme disease (and it took a LONG time for them to finally decide what her ailments were from!).

    PC - hope you feel better soon with the appropriate meds!!!!

  23. #23
    Lost Again gitarzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Oh!
    My Bikes
    Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.
    Posts
    1,035
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a nasty one untreated. I saw that on House.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    Is a ukulele player in a mandolin town and banned from all bars by the chief of police unless he leaves his strings and gravy at the front door.

  24. #24
    To be continued Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    19,072
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best of luck PC,

    My mother and sister went through it last year, they both pulled through just fine.
    Last edited by Dannihilator; 04-15-10 at 11:37 PM.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  25. #25
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    21,061
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    so are you a limey now?
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

    No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •