Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. #1
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Passport fees going up.

    Yes fellow tourists,after next Tuesday fees will increase @30-40% thanks to a scheduled hosing by our State Dept.
    Now we need papers to visit our frosty friends to the north also.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  2. #2
    Seņor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've needed papers to go to Canada for over a year now. I think the old rules for going to Mexico and Canada were a lot more rational, and would love to see the paranoia reversed.
    The search for inner peace continues...

  3. #3
    BF Risk Manager
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Snohomish County, Washington USA
    My Bikes
    Road, mountain and folding
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woo hoo! I renewed earlier this year. Just in time, and I am good to go for another 10 years.
    Regards, MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

  4. #4
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People boating from Ohio across Lake Erie to the Great White North have survived with just a drivers permit,no one is pushing it so far.
    Now we know how the newly formed farce"Homeland Defense"gets its money.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be interesting to see what the prices will be 10 years from now when I need to renew.

  6. #6
    Sore saddle cyclist Shifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Posts
    3,786
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are traveling to Canada or Mexico mostly you can get a passport card for half of what a passport book costs. It's faster at the border check too, the agent just scans the card and sends you on.
    http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt...card_3926.html


    As far as increased cost, if everyone is making a huge stink about paying taxes, then we'll have to pay for these things in other ways. Call your congressman and suggest a tax increase so your passport can remain cheap.
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

  7. #7
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    If you are traveling to Canada or Mexico mostly you can get a passport card for half of what a passport book costs. It's faster at the border check too, the agent just scans the card and sends you on.
    http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt...card_3926.html


    As far as increased cost, if everyone is making a huge stink about paying taxes, then we'll have to pay for these things in other ways. Call your congressman and suggest a tax increase so your passport can remain cheap.
    I've called my congressman everthing under the sun to no avail
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The book is cooler looking and I get neato stamps.

  9. #9
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DataJunkie View Post
    The book is cooler looking and I get neato stamps.
    There has to be an error with your post count.
    This leaves no time for even a wizz.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  10. #10
    Senior Member travelmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Long Beach,CA
    My Bikes
    Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk
    Posts
    1,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you enjoy traveling than paying more is worth it. A passport can cost $200 and I will still pay so that I can go around the world and be exposed to places and things unlike my own surroundings.
    Two Wheels One Love

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spry View Post
    There has to be an error with your post count.
    This leaves no time for even a wizz.
    *scratches head*
    Get a new bladder. Turbo charged and all that.

  12. #12
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cost of producing the newer passport is expensive. I have no problem with paying to cover costs. I don't like paying more but it is better than asking that the taxpayer subsidize my travel.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  13. #13
    Footballus vita est iamlucky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
    Posts
    2,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spry View Post
    People boating from Ohio across Lake Erie to the Great White North have survived with just a drivers permit,no one is pushing it so far.
    Now we know how the newly formed farce"Homeland Defense"gets its money.
    The Forest Service just made a notice that hiking the last 10 km of the Pacific Crest Trail, which ends north of the border, is technically a border violation because there's obviously no checkpoint out in the remote wilderness. As far as I know, they haven't made any moves to enforce it, but potentially it could be trouble, too.

    I'm waiting for a certified copy of my birth certificate to arrive to go apply for mine. Hopefully it comes in time.
    "The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad

  14. #14
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least your American passports last 10 years. I need a new one every five years!

  15. #15
    BF Risk Manager
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Snohomish County, Washington USA
    My Bikes
    Road, mountain and folding
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    The Forest Service just made a notice that hiking the last 10 km of the Pacific Crest Trail, which ends north of the border, is technically a border violation because there's obviously no checkpoint out in the remote wilderness. As far as I know, they haven't made any moves to enforce it, but potentially it could be trouble, too.

    I'm waiting for a certified copy of my birth certificate to arrive to go apply for mine. Hopefully it comes in time.
    This has been published in the Seattle Times and I received an email from the Mountaineers, too. Although it is not widely-known, ICE is constantly flying surveillance drones over the border in Washington and has seeded the area with seismic and other detectors to find foot and vehicle traffic. This is because of the recent upsurge in BC Bud being brought over the border by foot and vehicles in remote or mountainous areas. So ICE probably knows when people are on the PCT, at least near the border in Washington.
    Regards, MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

  16. #16
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbcb View Post
    At least your American passports last 10 years. I need a new one every five years!
    for adults it's 10, for kids it's 5, which I guess makes sense from a matching-the-person-to-the-picture standpoint

  17. #17
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    21,087
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    any measure that keeps americans inside america should be applauded.
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

    No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

  18. #18
    smorenivore colorider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    My Bikes
    '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    368
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MillCreek View Post
    This has been published in the Seattle Times and I received an email from the Mountaineers, too. Although it is not widely-known, ICE is constantly flying surveillance drones over the border in Washington and has seeded the area with seismic and other detectors to find foot and vehicle traffic. This is because of the recent upsurge in BC Bud being brought over the border by foot and vehicles in remote or mountainous areas. So ICE probably knows when people are on the PCT, at least near the border in Washington.
    If so they ought to be able to find Bigfoot as well while their at it.
    One does not simply ride their bike into Mordor! - electrik

  19. #19
    Senior Member Snicklefritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
    Posts
    3,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbcb View Post
    At least your American passports last 10 years. I need a new one every five years!
    Not to hijack the thread, but I've wondered if you've heard this one:

    Knock-knock
    who's there?
    Lao?
    Lao who?
    ______ !!!!!

    (what goes in the blank?)

  20. #20
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coasting View Post
    any measure that keeps americans inside america should be applauded.
    You had your chance at the colonies but were run out by hillbillies with peashooters.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  21. #21
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    21,087
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snicklefritz View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but I've wondered if you've heard this one:

    Knock-knock
    who's there?
    Lao?
    Lao who?
    ______ !!!!!

    (what goes in the blank?)

    this better be good.
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

    No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

  22. #22
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    21,087
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    so when are they going to introduce exit visas?
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

    No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

  23. #23
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    If so they ought to be able to find Bigfoot as well while their at it.
    Na,Bigfoot moved to Tenn and usually spotted in the hills during corn liquor season.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coasting View Post
    any measure that keeps americans inside america should be applauded.
    It only keeps poor Americans inside America.

  25. #25
    Senior Member mikeybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Edgewater, CO
    My Bikes
    Tons
    Posts
    3,214
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DataJunkie View Post
    It only keeps poor Americans inside America.
    Guess I'm never leaving America then...
    My Bikes: 2010 Breezer Uptown EX | 1980 Miyata 610 | 1970 Hercules | 198? Miele ?
    Wife's Bike: 2008 Globe City 7

    My Blog, a mix of bicycling, tech, and family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •