Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-10, 10:02 AM   #1
MangoPumpkin 
Cool Beans
Thread Starter
 
MangoPumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lancaster County, PA
Bikes: Raleigh Cadent
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ask A Male Questions

So I thought this would be a neat idea, have a post for Ask A Male Questions and then one for Ask A Female Questions to gain some insight (ha!) to the opposite sex.

Here's my first set of questions:
1. Does it annoy you when a girl is self-conscious? Would you rather have a confident woman or do you think a bit of timidness is cute?

2. Does height matter to you with the women you date? What is the height you prefer, taller, shorter or does it not matter? I know a lot of women prefer taller men, just curious if it mattered at all for men.
__________________
I've got your restraining order right here. [grabs crotch] Restrain this!

Last edited by MangoPumpkin; 08-23-10 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Cuz I felt like it
MangoPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 10:11 AM   #2
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka
 
StupidlyBrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Central PA
Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm going to boycott this thread until the questions get easier.
StupidlyBrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 10:18 AM   #3
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. I prefer confident but not conceited.
2. Oh, you mean "does size matter?" I prefer women to be near the same height. I find too short or too tall uncomfortable.
Wait, this isn't a dating site is it??
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 10:19 AM   #4
MangoPumpkin 
Cool Beans
Thread Starter
 
MangoPumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lancaster County, PA
Bikes: Raleigh Cadent
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave View Post
I'm going to boycott this thread until the questions get easier.
*stomps foot* Not fair!

Okay, okay.....

Beer & Football?

OR

Beer & Baseball?
__________________
I've got your restraining order right here. [grabs crotch] Restrain this!
MangoPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 10:21 AM   #5
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka
 
StupidlyBrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Central PA
Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hmmm. Couch potato sports....

Nice try.
StupidlyBrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 10:27 AM   #6
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This is a no win situation for us married guys. No matter what we say, we will be wrong.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 10:31 AM   #7
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka
 
StupidlyBrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Central PA
Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
This is a no win situation for us married guys. No matter what we say, we will be wrong.
If you rename this 'The Paradox Thread', it will demonstrate your wisdom on this matter.
StupidlyBrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 10:38 AM   #8
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 5,036
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
This is a no win situation for us married guys. No matter what we say, we will be wrong.
You married guys have it easier, since you know you're wrong about everything. Us divorced guys had to go back to wondering if we were right
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 10:40 AM   #9
Luwin1026
.
 
Luwin1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Self-assured is definitely a plus. I think it's a matter of balance, as are a lot of things. A good combination of humility with self-confidence is sweet. Too unsure of herself and seeking reassurance left and right gets old after awhile, and I'd pass on the girl who thinks she's God's gift to mankind. (Not like I'd be presented with that choice if she were indeed God's gift to mankind) Like women, us men are complicated. (And I know I'm doing a disservice by generalizing, so please take with a grain of salt) - we want self-confident women who can take care of themselves, yet we want to be wanted too. Again, this is where the balance comes in. I think in the right situation and time with the right person, being vulnerable and expressing the need to be taken care of is completely justified and even welcomed.

Back on topic, I think it's cute when a girl is a little self-conscious in certain situations, as it's a fabulous opportunity to offer reassurance. But if it's a recurring theme or attempt at garnering acceptance/assurance from others, then it'd get annoying.


Height is not high on the wish-list, but I would say it falls under "proportional." I do have to admit that there are certain physical attributes like height that make a more comfortable fit while engaging in particular physical activities such as hugging, holding, cuddling, spooning, standing shower intimate relations, and other intimate activities of the oral concurrently reciprocating nature. (You know you were thinking it! I'm just trying to tactfully express it) =) -

But more so than just height is the subjective, unsaid emotional quality of feeing connected to the other that trumps all. Is there a preference? Sure - a few or more inches shorter than me so I can underlyingly "feel" like I can physically take care of her even when she's wearing heels. But hey, let's face it - a preference is simply that. Gorgeous is gorgeous, love is love - no matter if she's short or tall.

Last edited by Luwin1026; 08-23-10 at 10:46 AM.
Luwin1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 10:42 AM   #10
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Who is this wise man and why is his bathrobe on backwards?
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 10:49 AM   #11
MangoPumpkin 
Cool Beans
Thread Starter
 
MangoPumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lancaster County, PA
Bikes: Raleigh Cadent
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow Luwin that's the kind of answer I was looking for! I'm glad you relate to the height difference with being able to 'feel' like you are taking care of her. For some reason I found with taller men I felt taken care of or protected moreso than with someone shorter than me. I know that sounds odd but it's how I felt.

I think the same for men. I like a guy to be confident in most things but not arrogant or smug. I also like when a guy can show his weaknesses as well without getting bent out of shape about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwin1026 View Post
But more so than just height is the subjective, unsaid emotional quality of feeing connected to the other that trumps all. Is there a preference? Sure - a few or more inches shorter than me so I can underlyingly "feel" like I can physically take care of her even when she's wearing heels. But hey, let's face it - a preference is simply that. Gorgeous is gorgeous, love is love - no matter if she's short or tall.
So agreed.
__________________
I've got your restraining order right here. [grabs crotch] Restrain this!
MangoPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 10:50 AM   #12
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 11,015
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
Who is this wise man and why is his bathrobe on backwards?


Luwin, your wife is lucky. And I'm lucky to have you as my friend.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 11:00 AM   #13
jccaclimber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Terre Haute, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, depending on the day
Bikes: n, I would like n+1
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1) Depends on the amount. A SMALL amount is fine, but I hate it when people spend more time second guessing themselves out loud than they do anything else.
2) Not really. Everyone I have dated has been shorter than me, but at 6' tall there aren't as many females my height or taller. I've known a couple people my height who I would have dated had they tried.

Edit: Luwin covered it much better. Please defer to him.
jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 11:16 AM   #14
trsidn 
parched member
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Self confidence is best.

I'm kinda short, so couldn't be too picky about height
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio View Post
.... Other than being completely wrong, you're correct.
trsidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 11:18 AM   #15
pgoat
BatŁwŁ Griekgriek
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Bikes: 1985 Trek 500, 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2002 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
Posts: 2,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoPumpkin View Post
1. Does it annoy you when a girl is self-conscious?

2. Does height matter to you with the women you date?
1. yes - if it is glaringly obvious on the first date or two; everyone is self-conscious to some degree, which can become more obvious as you get to know the person.

2. no - I prefer to be a bit taller, but it's hardly a deal-breaker; neither are complexion, weight, hair etc etc. All those details go together to make up the person. For me, there is either an attraction/connection or there isn't.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

Last edited by pgoat; 08-23-10 at 11:24 AM.
pgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 11:22 AM   #16
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Posts: 4,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Not wanting this to be another Match.com sort of thread...

to the married guys: How come you let your wife buy your underwear? Or for that matter, any of your clothes?
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 11:26 AM   #17
pgoat
BatŁwŁ Griekgriek
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Bikes: 1985 Trek 500, 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2002 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
Posts: 2,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
Not wanting this to be another Match.com sort of thread...

to the married guys: How come you let your wife buy your underwear? Or for that matter, any of your clothes?
I don't/she doesn't.

If she buys me something (rare) I'll usually wear it at least a few times to make her happy. Most stuff my wife has bought me I've really liked, so no probs wearing it often.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 11:30 AM   #18
SonataInFSharp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
Not wanting this to be another Match.com sort of thread...

to the married guys: How come you let your wife buy your underwear? Or for that matter, any of your clothes?
Haha. I don't let her buy my clothes, per se. She is a recovering shopaholic (hate the cliche, but it's true, technically), so she has displaced wasting money on clothes that she keeps in the closet with tags on them to buying me a few shirts a year on clearance. My entire closet probably cost under $100. So, if it keeps her from spending $1000 that we don't have on herself every few months on clothes that she never wears, then <$100 every few years on clothes for me isn't something I am going to argue with.

So, it's definitely not letting my wife buy my clothes in the stereotypical sense. In the past, I had no problem shopping for myself, thank you very much.
SonataInFSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 11:46 AM   #19
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard
 
SingingSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwin1026 View Post
Self-assured is definitely a plus. I think it's a matter of balance, as are a lot of things. A good combination of humility with self-confidence is sweet. Too unsure of herself and seeking reassurance left and right gets old after awhile, and I'd pass on the girl who thinks she's God's gift to mankind. (Not like I'd be presented with that choice if she were indeed God's gift to mankind) Like women, us men are complicated. (And I know I'm doing a disservice by generalizing, so please take with a grain of salt) - we want self-confident women who can take care of themselves, yet we want to be wanted too. Again, this is where the balance comes in. I think in the right situation and time with the right person, being vulnerable and expressing the need to be taken care of is completely justified and even welcomed.

Back on topic, I think it's cute when a girl is a little self-conscious in certain situations, as it's a fabulous opportunity to offer reassurance. But if it's a recurring theme or attempt at garnering acceptance/assurance from others, then it'd get annoying.


Height is not high on the wish-list, but I would say it falls under "proportional." I do have to admit that there are certain physical attributes like height that make a more comfortable fit while engaging in particular physical activities such as hugging, holding, cuddling, spooning, standing shower intimate relations, and other intimate activities of the oral concurrently reciprocating nature. (You know you were thinking it! I'm just trying to tactfully express it) =) -

But more so than just height is the subjective, unsaid emotional quality of feeing connected to the other that trumps all. Is there a preference? Sure - a few or more inches shorter than me so I can underlyingly "feel" like I can physically take care of her even when she's wearing heels. But hey, let's face it - a preference is simply that. Gorgeous is gorgeous, love is love - no matter if she's short or tall.
This is basically it. Thanks for typing it up so I didn't have to.
__________________
Shameless plug (my sites):
Work
Photography
Vanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
SingingSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 12:05 PM   #20
crackerjab
WTF is that smell?
 
crackerjab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I prefer my women alive. All the rest are semantics.
__________________
Your turtle skirt is exposing your FUPA.
crackerjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 12:09 PM   #21
Zanobi
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. Timid can be cute, but confidence is necessary.

Look at it this way, if someone is too confident they don't always appreciate the compliments and attention paid to them. Similarly if someone is full of doubt, it tends to be an overall problem that creates unnecessary challenges in a relationship. In other words it's preferable that she can: realize that everyone has flaws, recognize that someone can care for you despite any flaws and even appreciate you for those flaws, and that without some confidence any relationship will begin to feel tedious.

2. Height is simple, who cares. I've dated women shorter than, taller than, and the same height as me. Every height has it's physical advantages and disadvantages. After initial attraction, body language overcomes any issues of height. Honestly I'm probably more attracted to taller women initially, however shorter women who catch my eye probably hold it longer. I think it's some subconscious thing.


Incidentally my wife has confidence issues from time to time and is roughly the same height as me lol. So in the end, it's about getting past whatever happens initially.
Zanobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 12:17 PM   #22
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 34,104
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Self-assured and self-aware. I don't have any patience for cutesy "I'm just a silly girl."

I don't really care about height either. Proportionality is a good word for it. Dress well, keep fit, and present yourself well no matter your height.

[edit]

Mrs. Caloso is a very confident 5'4". Most people think she's taller because she projects well.

Last edited by caloso; 08-23-10 at 12:24 PM.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 12:18 PM   #23
mikeybikes
Senior Member
 
mikeybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edgewater, CO
Bikes: Tons
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoPumpkin View Post
1. Does it annoy you when a girl is self-conscious? Would you rather have a confident woman or do you think a bit of timidness is cute?
Confidence is great but timidness has its place. I don't want to constantly be reassuring a girl. Every now and then is cute. Too much, gets annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoPumpkin View Post
2. Does height matter to you with the women you date? What is the height you prefer, taller, shorter or does it not matter? I know a lot of women prefer taller men, just curious if it mattered at all for men.
Doesn't matter. I've dated all sorts of heights of women, though more shorter ones.
mikeybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 12:20 PM   #24
crackerjab
WTF is that smell?
 
crackerjab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How big is too big for a FUPA?
__________________
Your turtle skirt is exposing your FUPA.
crackerjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 12:27 PM   #25
Zanobi
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjab View Post
How big is too big for a FUPA?
Depends on the size of the guy's beer belly.
Zanobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 PM.