Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Dumb@s$ Jarhead mrt10x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park CO
    My Bikes
    Calfee Dragon Fly Pro 1984 Pinarello Montello
    Posts
    1,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Why does my furnace keep turning on

    Hello Foo,, long time no talk. I have relocated from Hawaii to Rhode Island.. I havent been riding much over the last 6 months and my cameras have been in the bag, so not much FOO time. So now that I am in the great freezing North East I must learn things like radiant heat, oil tanks, and window scrapers. I have this monstrous oil tank in my basement, oh yeah basements thats new too, and it is hooked up to what looks like a Nuclear Submarine powerplant. Why is it coming on at random times? I have all the heat off in the house, I havnent used any hot water recently.. yet I hear the roar of this beast kick in burning my housing allowance as it goes. What am I missing?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  2. #2
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,158
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Because it's getting cold enough to turn on? It was in the thirties last night, here in Indiana.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  3. #3
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,255
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's probably reboiling the water periodically.

    It's not a vacuum chamber where 100% of the energy inputted doesn't escape, you know.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  4. #4
    Caustic Soccer Mom apclassic9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Millstone WV
    Posts
    1,761
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    find out what KIND of furnace it is, and google it. If it's not supposed to do that, call the repair man. BUT, sounds like your furnace is just keeping the water hot - for whenever you might use it. Ever see those commercials on TV about the tankless water heater? They're talking to YOU. You're spending lots of $$ heating water you're not using. What kind of heat does your house have? Steam radiators? Forced Air?
    As with mud, life, too, slides by.

  5. #5
    Dumb@s$ Jarhead mrt10x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park CO
    My Bikes
    Calfee Dragon Fly Pro 1984 Pinarello Montello
    Posts
    1,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is getting cold here.. but I think I have everything turned off. There are radiators along every base board in the house.. is that forced? I grew up in CA and have been stationed in Yuma AZ, San Diego, Iraq, and Hawaii.. not sure why I dont now anything about heat I think it must be the hot water thing.. just pisses me off to hear that thing running when I know I have done nothing to trigger the heating.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  6. #6
    Senior Member mikeybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Edgewater, CO
    My Bikes
    Tons
    Posts
    3,214
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    it's probably reboiling the water periodically.

    It's not a vacuum chamber where 100% of the energy inputted doesn't escape, you know.
    This.
    My Bikes: 2010 Breezer Uptown EX | 1980 Miyata 610 | 1970 Hercules | 198? Miele ?
    Wife's Bike: 2008 Globe City 7

    My Blog, a mix of bicycling, tech, and family.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    593
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have one already, call the company that sells you the oil and ask about a service contract. These are very useful things to have for when the furnace doesn't want to work when the temperatures outside are going down way below freezing. Among all the other issues of no heat, the cold water supply pipes can freeze and burst, usually in an un-heated basement, then the heating pipes can freeze and will then burst when the heat comes back. All of which is ton's more to deal with and fix then the price of the heating service contract.

    Then get a service call to get the system tuned for the winter. October is a good time and DO NOT PUT IT OFF, as the service folks get busy when it gets cold and won;t do a tune up when they need to be doing emergency repairs. When the repair person is at the house, ask all kinds of questions, reminding him/her that you just moved from Hawaii and are thus ignorant about things related to heat.

    SB

  8. #8
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,331
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
    What am I missing?
    85º Hawaii October temps.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's quite likely that the oil boiler also produces your hot water. If this is the case, it's also quite likely that you have a holding tank of some sort that contains a volume of water kept at a monitored temperature so it's available at all times. As was said above, the boiler will fire when necessary to ensure a ready supply of hot water.

    Our house has a zone set up to circulate a stainless 70 Gal holding tank for the tap which is always kept at temperature. Some fire right off the boiler and some have completely separate systems for heat vs tap.

    This isn't to say something isn't wrong, but if you're not used to an oil boiler this doesn't sound abnormal.

    Welcome to the neighborhood BTW. I'm just up the road in Tiverton.

  10. #10
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
    Hello Foo,, long time no talk. I have relocated from Hawaii to Rhode Island.. I havent been riding much over the last 6 months and my cameras have been in the bag, so not much FOO time. So now that I am in the great freezing North East I must learn things like radiant heat, oil tanks, and window scrapers. I have this monstrous oil tank in my basement, oh yeah basements thats new too, and it is hooked up to what looks like a Nuclear Submarine powerplant. Why is it coming on at random times? I have all the heat off in the house, I havnent used any hot water recently.. yet I hear the roar of this beast kick in burning my housing allowance as it goes. What am I missing?
    Get your CO drunk on his birthday and sign transfer orders to Camp LeJune or Camp Geiger in North Carolina

    *Have you turned the gas temp dial down to the "vacation"setting when gone for extended times?
    Pretty country up there,not the crowds of tourists or traffic.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  11. #11
    Dumb@s$ Jarhead mrt10x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park CO
    My Bikes
    Calfee Dragon Fly Pro 1984 Pinarello Montello
    Posts
    1,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spry View Post
    Get your CO drunk on his birthday and sign transfer orders to Camp LeJune or Camp Geiger in North Carolina

    *Have you turned the gas temp dial down to the "vacation"setting when gone for extended times?
    Pretty country up there,not the crowds of tourists or traffic.
    I'm the CO,, otherwise a solid plan But I would rather be here than NC/SC or HI for that matter.. I actually am looking forward to the winter.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  12. #12
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,751
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
    But I would rather be here than NC/SC or HI for that matter.. I actually am looking forward to the winter.
    You, sir, are completely and totally nuts.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: II openSUSE: II

  13. #13
    BF Risk Manager
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Snohomish County, Washington USA
    My Bikes
    Road, mountain and folding
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
    I'm the CO,, otherwise a solid plan But I would rather be here than NC/SC or HI for that matter.. I actually am looking forward to the winter.
    Plan B is to have the XO sign for the CO. Problem solved.
    Regards, MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

  14. #14
    Grumpy Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
    I'm the CO,, otherwise a solid plan But I would rather be here than NC/SC or HI for that matter.. I actually am looking forward to the winter.


    you may wish to rethink that....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
    Transcendental enumeration.

  15. #15
    Chepooka StupidlyBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Posts
    1,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get cabin fever pretty badly.

    So I really look forward to getting out in the Winter...




    Michael loved the snow too

  16. #16
    Senior Member skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    CO Springs, CO
    My Bikes
    08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
    Posts
    1,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
    Yes it is getting cold here.. but I think I have everything turned off. There are radiators along every base board in the house.. is that forced? I grew up in CA and have been stationed in Yuma AZ, San Diego, Iraq, and Hawaii.. not sure why I dont now anything about heat I think it must be the hot water thing.. just pisses me off to hear that thing running when I know I have done nothing to trigger the heating.
    Your hot water heater will trigger the burner to keep the water tank heated, much like an electric or gas heater. If your oil burner is so loud, it may be time to upgrade it.

    Where are you living up there and what are you the CO of? Newport was my last duty station, too, before coming out here to COS.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    2010 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  17. #17
    Dumb@s$ Jarhead mrt10x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park CO
    My Bikes
    Calfee Dragon Fly Pro 1984 Pinarello Montello
    Posts
    1,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the CO of the MARDET Newport RI. If you were a Marine up here then the MARDET has changed in the last 6 months. We BRAC'd Navy Supply Corps School Athens GA, and it moved up here. The Marine Aviation Logistics Officer course was co-located at Athens so we came up here as well. I had been slated to go to Athens to take over the school, which is not really a "CO" billet, but when we moved it up here to RI we inherited the already existing MARDET, which was a true "CO" billet, though at the 0-3 level not 0-5. Now that we have combined with the MARDET I find myself in my second 05 command billet, which is a nice little unexpected perk. My nearest boss is in Quantico at TRNGCMD and they really have no idea what it is we do, since we are a Navy controlled curriculum, so no one pays any attention to us.. nice

    I kind of misled everyone, because I was stationed here in RI for a year in 2002 at the Naval War College. I lived in an apartment at that time, so no furnace.

    OBTW I would literally KILL to get orders to NORCOM or anywhere in the CO Springs area, it is either 1 or 2 on my retirement locations. Bozeman is #1 but has no military benefits like CO Springs does. I will be facing that decision soon if my name is not on the 06 list currently going through the pipeline. 

    This furnace is brand new last year.. I will post a pic later,, I am not kidding, looks like a powerplant for a nuclear submarine. I am sure it is the hot water heater, which is huge and total overkill for a single dude like me.

    edit: just saw your team navy cycling link..so prob not a jarhead like me I have a few MALS-24 jerseys left over from my last command.. what size are you?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Middle of the road, NJ
    Posts
    2,201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightingguy View Post
    If you don't have one already, call the company that sells you the oil and ask about a service contract. These are very useful things to have for when the furnace doesn't want to work when the temperatures outside are going down way below freezing. Among all the other issues of no heat, the cold water supply pipes can freeze and burst, usually in an un-heated basement, then the heating pipes can freeze and will then burst when the heat comes back. All of which is ton's more to deal with and fix then the price of the heating service contract.

    Then get a service call to get the system tuned for the winter. October is a good time and DO NOT PUT IT OFF, as the service folks get busy when it gets cold and won;t do a tune up when they need to be doing emergency repairs. When the repair person is at the house, ask all kinds of questions, reminding him/her that you just moved from Hawaii and are thus ignorant about things related to heat.

    SB
    It can not be stressed how important this is! Get a service contract, and schedule a cleaning. When the guy shows up, ask questions. 90% of the oil guys I've used are nice, their business is mostly service, so it pays for them to be nice. Ask them to show you where the emergency shut off switch is, where the valves are in the oil line, where the water line shut off valves are. Don't be afraid to label the parts, that helps everybody. Ask how to tell if there is enough water in the system. Ask what you can do to keep heating and hot water cost down. Ask how to lower or raise the temp of the hot water. Unless the guy is a total jerk, he will give you a tour of your system and answer all your questions.

  19. #19
    Senior Member no motor?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    4,077
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
    you may wish to rethink that....
    in about a month.


    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    It can not be stressed how important this is! Get a service contract, and schedule a cleaning. When the guy shows up, ask questions. 90% of the oil guys I've used are nice, their business is mostly service, so it pays for them to be nice. Ask them to show you where the emergency shut off switch is, where the valves are in the oil line, where the water line shut off valves are. Don't be afraid to label the parts, that helps everybody. Ask how to tell if there is enough water in the system. Ask what you can do to keep heating and hot water cost down. Ask how to lower or raise the temp of the hot water. Unless the guy is a total jerk, he will give you a tour of your system and answer all your questions.
    You're going to hear more noises once the heat kicks n and the radiators start to warm up. Ask which noises are normal, and get ready to answer the "why did you move here" question again.

  20. #20
    Senior Member skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    CO Springs, CO
    My Bikes
    08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
    Posts
    1,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
    I am the CO of the MARDET Newport RI. If you were a Marine up here then the MARDET has changed in the last 6 months. We BRAC'd Navy Supply Corps School Athens GA, and it moved up here. The Marine Aviation Logistics Officer course was co-located at Athens so we came up here as well. I had been slated to go to Athens to take over the school, which is not really a "CO" billet, but when we moved it up here to RI we inherited the already existing MARDET, which was a true "CO" billet, though at the 0-3 level not 0-5. Now that we have combined with the MARDET I find myself in my second 05 command billet, which is a nice little unexpected perk. My nearest boss is in Quantico at TRNGCMD and they really have no idea what it is we do, since we are a Navy controlled curriculum, so no one pays any attention to us.. nice

    I kind of misled everyone, because I was stationed here in RI for a year in 2002 at the Naval War College. I lived in an apartment at that time, so no furnace.

    OBTW I would literally KILL to get orders to NORCOM or anywhere in the CO Springs area, it is either 1 or 2 on my retirement locations. Bozeman is #1 but has no military benefits like CO Springs does. I will be facing that decision soon if my name is not on the 06 list currently going through the pipeline. 

    This furnace is brand new last year.. I will post a pic later,, I am not kidding, looks like a powerplant for a nuclear submarine. I am sure it is the hot water heater, which is huge and total overkill for a single dude like me.

    edit: just saw your team navy cycling link..so prob not a jarhead like me I have a few MALS-24 jerseys left over from my last command.. what size are you?
    Yeah, all that BRAC stuff was starting up as I was leaving in '07. I was the CO of NOSC Newport (the Reserve Center) and my ISIC, who was right next door, was absorbed into a different region. The resulting FITREP shakeup didn't help my O6 chances, so I knew coming to COS would be where I retired... which I did effective 1 September! But all in all, it was a pretty good tour... a year at the War College and then 2 years in command there in Newport.

    If your monitor will let you go to NORAD or NORTHCOM, I can give you some advice and maybe talk to some folks here who could request you. It's a pretty darn good place to be stationed... and retire from!

    I wear Primal's XXLs; not sure about other brands. And we have N-NC jerseys, too, though they're all sold out at the moment.
    Last edited by skiahh; 10-05-10 at 10:14 PM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    2010 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  21. #21
    Caustic Soccer Mom apclassic9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Millstone WV
    Posts
    1,761
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you own the place, I would suggest that you install a tankless water heatetr & bypass the one connected to your furnace, then retro fit radient heat in the floors. If you rent, forget it & put aside some $$ for the bill!
    As with mud, life, too, slides by.

  22. #22
    Grumpy Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Yeah, all that BRAC stuff was starting up as I was leaving in '07. I was the CO of NOSC Newport (the Reserve Center) and my ISIC, who was right next door, was absorbed into a different region. The resulting FITREP shakeup didn't help my O6 chances, so I knew coming to COS would be where I retired... which I did effective 1 September! But all in all, it was a pretty good tour... a year at the War College and then 2 years in command there in Newport.

    If your monitor will let you go to NORAD or NORTHCOM, I can give you some advice and maybe talk to some folks here who could request you. It's a pretty darn good place to be stationed... and retire from!

    In wear Primal's XXLs. And we have N-NC jerseys, too, though they're all sold out at the moment.


    wow, couple of O-Gangers
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
    Transcendental enumeration.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •