Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    I pedal in my sleep... str8jakett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salem VA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What do I want to be when I grow up?

    Foosters, pick my career.

    Well, not really, but here's the story. I'm a 30yo laid off factory worker who has been, at the insistence of my wife, a stay at home dad for the past two and a half years. I've enjoyed the time spent with my daughter immensely. Our income has dropped enough that I now qualify for financial aid to take some classes at a local community college. One of my biggest regrets was wasting two years of college when I graduated in 1997, and giving it all up for the job that I am now laid off from. I want to finish school for my own personal reasons and for the piece of paper to hang on the wall. I still dead end when I try to pick that degree.

    Some notes.

    I hate advanced math. I am terrible at it, I don't want to have anything to do with it.
    I'm well versed mechanically and a quick learner at most things hands on.
    Two other things I'd rather not deal with are sales or medical fields.

    This is what is offered:

    * Accounting Degree
    * Administrative Support Technology Degree
    * American Sign Language - English Interpretation Degree
    * Architecture Specialization
    * Automotive Analysis and Repair Diploma
    * Business Management Degree
    * Computer Aided Drafting and Design Degree
    * Computer Graphics and Web Design Specialization
    * Early Childhood Development Specialization
    * Electrical Engineering Technology Degree
    * Electronics Technology Degree
    * Forensic Science Degree (Been there, done that, changed majors after two semesters)
    * Game Technology and Animation Specialization
    * Graphic Design Communications Specialization
    * Human Services Degree
    * Industrial Maintenance Certificate
    * Information Technology Degree
    * Instrumentation and Control Automation Technology Degree
    * Instrumentation and Control Automation/CAD Specialization
    * IT Game Design Specialization
    * IT Network and Technical Support Specialization
    * Machine Shop Operations Diploma
    * Machine Technology Degree
    * Marketing Degree
    * Medical Administrative Support Specialization
    * Nursing Degree
    * Paralegal Administrative Support Specialization
    * Paralegal Studies
    * Police Science Degree
    * Practical Nursing Certificate
    * Small Business Management Specialization
    * Welding Certificate (Changed to this. WTF, I'd never welded in my life, two semesters and realized I didn't want to for life either. I did enjoy the machine shop and metallurgy classes though)
    * Word Processing Certificate

    I am leaning towards Paralegal Studies. Honestly, I may never even use any degree earned. For now, I'm stuck in my small town. My wife loves her job and won't leave her family. There isn't much doubt in my mind I'll go back to my ho hum (albeit well paying) factory job when they call (projected 2nd quarter 2011). I actually DO like the job, and the benefits for my family are unbeatable. They will work with me to finish and I might even qualify for tuition reimbursement. I can then decide if it is more beneficial to look for a job in that field. With certain degrees, I would have the opportunity to remain with my company and move into a position that utilizes the degree. Paralegal Studies is one such degree.

    Am I wasting my time?

  2. #2
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Do you have a dog?
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Irving, TX
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount
    Posts
    313
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't say that much about your abilities except for math, what you were doing in your past job, and what opportunities are available in your small town.

    My approach would be to consider the things that I am good at and somewhat interested in, find out which of these things could be available in my town, and go from there. Notice I said good at and somewhat interested in. My opinion is that you should work doing things that you are good at, but maybe not the most interested in. I have hobbies for that. Some people get jobs doing things that they are interested in and it ruins the fun for them.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nanaimo.B.C. The We't coast of Canada
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    noticed that they have two machine oriented programs and you said you enjoyed the exposure to that thing in the welding course and you like working at your previous job so prehaps those would be good programs to investigate

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by str8jakett View Post
    Am I wasting my time?
    No and Yes. Even though I currently work in the field I studied, I only use 1.238309% of my Liberal Education. However, I really enjoyed going to college and I honestly believe it helped me grow as a person.

    Couch

  6. #6
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything but this:

    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  7. #7
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Porn star.

  8. #8
    BF Risk Manager
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Snohomish County, Washington USA
    My Bikes
    Road, mountain and folding
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of all the fields listed there at the college, I point out that America always seems to need accountants.
    Regards, MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

  9. #9
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,720
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by str8jakett View Post
    I am leaning towards Paralegal Studies. Honestly, I may never even use any degree earned. For now, I'm stuck in my small town. My wife loves her job and won't leave her family. There isn't much doubt in my mind I'll go back to my ho hum (albeit well paying) factory job when they call (projected 2nd quarter 2011). I actually DO like the job, and the benefits for my family are unbeatable. They will work with me to finish and I might even qualify for tuition reimbursement. I can then decide if it is more beneficial to look for a job in that field. With certain degrees, I would have the opportunity to remain with my company and move into a position that utilizes the degree. Paralegal Studies is one such degree.

    Am I wasting my time?
    If the degree is in a subject you find interesting and it will help your career, you're not wasting your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  10. #10
    I pedal in my sleep... str8jakett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salem VA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjtesch View Post
    My approach would be to consider the things that I am good at and somewhat interested in, find out which of these things could be available in my town, and go from there. Notice I said good at and somewhat interested in. My opinion is that you should work doing things that you are good at, but maybe not the most interested in. I have hobbies for that. Some people get jobs doing things that they are interested in and it ruins the fun for them.
    I agree with that. I'm a car guy, I don't want to make them my job.


    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    noticed that they have two machine oriented programs and you said you enjoyed the exposure to that thing in the welding course and you like working at your previous job so prehaps those would be good programs to investigate
    I did consider those programs, another of which I could use at my current company, or there are a few machine shops and manufacturers in the area that need machinists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Couch View Post
    No and Yes. Even though I currently work in the field I studied, I only use 1.238309% of my Liberal Education. However, I really enjoyed going to college and I honestly believe it helped me grow as a person.

    Couch
    My reasons for going back are not just for the education, but exactly what you state. I want to finish for myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by MillCreek View Post
    Of all the fields listed there at the college, I point out that America always seems to need accountants.
    America probably would do better without an accountant like me.

    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    If the degree is in a subject you find interesting and it will help your career, you're not wasting your time.
    Thanks, and thanks for the other comments folks. I'm going in to talk to an advisor on Thursday, hopefully I can come out of that much more confident about the future.

  11. #11
    Seņor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 51, and despite having adult children and a job that pays decently well, I'm still trying to decide if I ever will grow up.
    The search for inner peace continues...

  12. #12
    Below Par Bikernator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    My Bikes
    '08 Giant Rincon
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electrical Engineering Technology is a pretty cool degree. Looking back I wish I had double-majored with that as my second. Also, the two instrumentation and automation control degrees could be very useful depending on the quality and scope of the course. My degree is in Mechanical Engineering Technology, and I see a lot of jobs for motion control and automation backgrounds that I could go for with one of the aforementioned degrees/backgrounds. Many in manufacturing companies. Good luck.

  13. #13
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by str8jakett View Post
    Foosters, pick my career.

    ...

    I hate advanced math. I am terrible at it, I don't want to have anything to do with it.
    I'm well versed mechanically and a quick learner at most things hands on.
    Two other things I'd rather not deal with are sales or medical fields.
    About the math, IT & Engineering:

    Different institutions divide math curses differently. On a system where...

    Calculus 1 = Derivates, rate of change
    Calculus 2 = Integrate, Area under the curve
    Calculus 3 = Integrate, Volume
    Calculus 4 = More integrals
    Differential Equations = be a freaking math God.

    ... Anything IT will have at least up to Calculus II. Engi will go up to Calculus IV, with differential equations often (but not always) required.

    IMHO, stay the heck away from IT. It is a dying field (offshore outsourcing) and you might find yourself in the same position as you are now. Networking might still have a shot for some time but I would not count on it.

    That said, I would go with "Automotive Analysis and Repair Diploma". Maybe pairing it up with some business administration, aiming at running your own shop some day, which can be done right there at small town USA. Car repairs is still one of those few things where the lone guy with a small shop and a few wrenches can compete with the big guys head to head and win every time.
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •