Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-11, 01:59 PM   #1
bikebuddha 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bikebuddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Somewhere in time
Bikes:
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Snow Panic

One of thw things I've never understoid about the south is why everyone goes nuts at the threat of snow. My wife asked me to go fill her car, big mistake. I'm writing this on my blackberry because roughly 80 people are trying toi fill up just in case it snows. Sigh
__________________
The few, the proud, the likely insane, Metro-Atlanta bicycle commuters.
bikebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 02:02 PM   #2
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebuddha View Post
One of thw things I've never understoid about the south is why everyone goes nuts at the threat of snow. My wife asked me to go fill her car, big mistake. I'm writing this on my blackberry because roughly 80 people are trying toi fill up just in case it snows. Sigh
Lady in another dept. was overheard this morning telling employees to not leave for work on Monday until the sun was up and they had heard from her....WTF? Are we not adults? Can we not decide for ourselves if we can make it in safely?
It was a major head-meets-desk moment for me.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 02:05 PM   #3
SonataInFSharp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Coming from a Minnesotan, that all sounds funny.

But, my dad once hosted a transplant from New Orleans. She had never seen a day of snow in her life. Her first time outside in the snow...let alone her driving and totaling three cars at the very first intersection, seconds into her first winter driving experience...helped me to understand the panic.
SonataInFSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 02:08 PM   #4
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Also, on top of being ignorant rednecks with no concept of how to drive in snow, we do not have the equipment to prepare the roads for snow or clear the snow after it falls, and often we get ice, instead of snow, making driving treacherous even for experienced winter drivers. Y'all come back now, ya hear?!
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 02:10 PM   #5
SonataInFSharp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, if no one can or should be driving...why the need to wait in line for gas?
SonataInFSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 02:14 PM   #6
StanSeven
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Delaware shore
Bikes: Cervelo C3, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
Posts: 11,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataInFSharp View Post
But, my dad once hosted a transplant from New Orleans. She had never seen a day of snow in her life. Her first time outside in the snow...let alone her driving and totaling three cars at the very first intersection, seconds into her first winter driving experience...helped me to understand the panic.
A friend said her husband had never seen snow until he drove to visit her and her parents at Christmas. He was born and grew up in Arizinia, went to college in Hawaii, attnded flight school in Florida, and met here at Norfolk/Va Beach. On the way driving to her house, he saw snow on the roads for the first time. Unfortuantely he didn't think about how slick the roads could be until he did a 360 braking into a turn.
StanSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 02:18 PM   #7
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataInFSharp View Post
So, if no one can or should be driving...why the need to wait in line for gas?
so that we do not run out of gas as we drive all over town buying all the bread and milk and eggs and firewood and beer and scotch and ammo before the great blizzard hits. geez, y'all yankees don't know nothin about a good snow panic.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 02:33 PM   #8
mlts22 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here in Texas, snow is brief and fairly fun (people pull out the 4x4s and drive with people sliding on ice chests tied to the back). However, ice storms are a real nasty threat, and it doesn't matter what type of wheel drive you have, be it FWD/RWD/4WD/2WD/6WD [1], unless you have a vehicle with tank treads, the ice is nasty, and all it takes is just a shady spot for it to lurk and throw people off the road.

[1]: There used to be a Dodge called the T-Rex that had 6WD, don't think it ever made it past the concept vehicle stage, although people said it towed better than duallies.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 02:45 PM   #9
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
so that we do not run out of gas as we drive all over town buying all the bread and milk and eggs and firewood and beer and scotch and ammo before the great blizzard hits. geez, y'all yankees don't know nothin about a good snow panic.
This list is not prioritized correctly.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 02:59 PM   #10
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have two local boys who are fishing on the pond right now so they can stock up for the storm.
Hope they enjoy their selves because I ain't going out there. It's windy as hell and getting cold. Forget that. I'm locking myself inside this weekend and seeing what all will burn in my fireplace.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:05 PM   #11
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
I have two local boys who are fishing on the pond right now so they can stock up for the storm.
Hope they enjoy their selves because I ain't going out there. It's windy as hell and getting cold. Forget that. I'm locking myself inside this weekend and seeing what all will burn in my fireplace.
the door should burn nicely.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:12 PM   #12
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
the frozen boys from the lake should burn nicely.
Stephen King'd it for you.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:17 PM   #13
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
the door should burn nicely.
I have a sofa the dog destroyed.
If we get more than 3 inches I could see a few of my redneck friends turning that into an add beer and lighter fluid until the police arrive situations.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:21 PM   #14
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
I have a sofa the dog destroyed.
If we get more than 3 inches I could see a few of my redneck friends turning that into an add beer and lighter fluid until the police arrive situations.
current forecast is 2-3"s.

If things go right, you might can get a pic or two of those fishing guys under the ice Monday. Like you did last year.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 04:08 PM   #15
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
Posts: 12,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
have you ever seen the videos of what happens when a little bit of snow hits somewhere where there usually is no snow?
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

Last edited by AEO; 01-07-11 at 04:11 PM.
AEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 05:06 PM   #16
root11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Bikes: Trek 2300, Cannondale ??, Univega Hyrid
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On January 18, 1985, Buffalo was hit by the “Six Pack Blizzard.” The storm dropped 33.2 inches of snow with winds gusting to 53 mph. It was during this storm that Mayor Jimmy Griffin told Buffalonians to “Stay inside, grab a six-pack and watch a good football game.” This by far is one of the best lines EVER voiced by a political leader.
root11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 05:29 PM   #17
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 4,950
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
This list is not prioritized correctly.
You can never have too much beer, especially if you're going to be stranded by the weather.
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 05:30 PM   #18
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 4,950
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
Also, on top of being ignorant rednecks with no concept of how to drive in snow, we do not have the equipment to prepare the roads for snow or clear the snow after it falls, and often we get ice, instead of snow, making driving treacherous even for experienced winter drivers. Y'all come back now, ya hear?!
Not until y'all stock up the beer stores again.
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 05:34 PM   #19
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
I have two local boys who are fishing on the pond right now so they can stock up for the storm.
Hope they enjoy their selves because I ain't going out there. It's windy as hell and getting cold. Forget that. I'm locking myself inside this weekend and seeing what all will burn in my fireplace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
the door should burn nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
the frozen boys from the lake should burn nicely.
Stephen King'd it for you.


Here was their haul by the way.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 05:56 PM   #20
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenG View Post


Here was their haul by the way.
Crappie!
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 06:06 PM   #21
skijor 
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
This list is not prioritized correctly.
So you make your french toast after you open your beer? Weirdo.
skijor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 06:11 PM   #22
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skijor View Post
So you make your french toast after you open your beer? Weirdo.
I would have moved ammo up the list.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 06:13 PM   #23
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
I would have moved ammo up the list.
What the hell for? Its gonna be an ice storm, even the deer will be staying put.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 06:15 PM   #24
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
Here in Texas, snow is brief and fairly fun (people pull out the 4x4s and drive with people sliding on ice chests tied to the back). However, ice storms are a real nasty threat, and it doesn't matter what type of wheel drive you have, be it FWD/RWD/4WD/2WD/6WD [1], unless you have a vehicle with tank treads, the ice is nasty, and all it takes is just a shady spot for it to lurk and throw people off the road.

[1]: There used to be a Dodge called the T-Rex that had 6WD, don't think it ever made it past the concept vehicle stage, although people said it towed better than duallies.

I can tell you, tank treads are terrible on ice. I drove a tank in the Army, and on icy hills in the Alps, they tended to suddenly become 20 ton toboggans into the nearest stand of trees.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 06:16 PM   #25
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
What the hell for? Its gonna be an ice storm, even the deer will be staying put.
But others may not... muahahahahah! Dogs and cats, perhaps?
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 PM.