Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-11, 06:56 PM   #1
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Should I Stay Or Should I Go For A New Sewing Machine In My Near Future?

"....Telling me that he won't even touch the (sewing) machine unless I give him $48 for diagnosis. He tells me that I have the wrong presser foot, that an original foot would run hundreds and hundreds of dollars. He says something about the motor, and I ask him how much a new motor for my machine would run (I am SO not rich)
He won't tell me for less than $48, and won't let me get a word in edgewise.
He then grabs a yellowed christmas card and launches into a bizarre spiel about some guy that owns the MGM grand and will only come to him for machine repairs.
I remark on how nice that must be for him, scoop up my machine and leave.
Won't be returning...."


Ooookaaay, I am in the crossroads to determine whether or not if it is in my best interests to repair my 18 year White (Chinese made) sewing machine or buy another new Kenmore basic no frills, simple, limited stitches, mechanical one for about 100 dollars. The above review is from a sewing machine repair/sales shop I was considering. I deliberately omitted the business' name & city location as to not unintentionally prevent someone else from making an living (who am I to do that?). This is the usual problem that I was running against whenever I decided to take any of my machines, both past and present, in for servicing or salvaging.

I guess I will forced to pass the repair shops on by & toss another old machine again. Then buy the new one and take my chances again with the cheap, yet plentiful, Chinese imports.

At least bicycles are still repairable.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 01-09-11 at 07:01 PM.
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 07:02 PM   #2
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the make and model of your machine ?

Many of the older machines are so much better than what replaces them and if your machine is a newer one that does not work, you may want to find an older machine that does.

Several hundred dollars for a presser foot is way out of line.

Mine... 1961 Singer 403a.



Folks at the shop told me that this machine was as good as the new Singer Commercial machine which is now made in *cough*china*cough*

I picked my machine up with it's table and nearly every accessory it needed for $100.00
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 07:06 PM   #3
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The machine in question is a 1992 White 201 Quilter's Friend mechanical sewing machine (yes, imported from you-know-where). I paid around 150 or so dollars then. Your sewing machine is a real gem. Hang on to it!
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 07:14 PM   #4
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Singer was in like new condition... the older fellow who owned it (and shared my first name) bought it new and took care of it like some take care of their bikes or cars and it was spotless inside and out.

These are among the nicest sewing machines ever made and they often come up for sale for very decent prices.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 07:20 PM   #5
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The guy sounds like his name was Dick... a presser foot for a modern machine is not an expensive item and I can still get affordable parts for my 50 year old machine which is nice as it uses removable cams to create stitches and my shop has tons of these.

Check some of the sewing websites and discussion boards... you will find an answer there for sure.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 07:21 PM   #6
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
My Singer was in like new condition... the older fellow who owned it (and shared my first name) bought it new and took care of it like some take care of their bikes or cars and it was spotless inside and out.

These are among the nicest sewing machines ever made and they often come up for sale for very decent prices.
I will make a point to keep an sharp eye out for a machine similar to yours. Thank you for the tips.
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 08:26 PM   #7
GP 
Senior Member
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 7,575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by folder fanatic View Post
I will make a point to keep an sharp eye out for a machine similar to yours. Thank you for the tips.
Check thrift stores. I see older Singers somewhat regularly. My sister took my Mom's mid-50s model about 20 years ago and still uses it. It made a lot of our clothes when we were kids.

You might also put a WTB ad on Craigslist. I looked for months for a truck cross bed bike rack. My wife suggested a WTB ad and I got one withing hours.

Here you go. Probably too far but it shows they're available. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/app/2151802608.html or go for the heavy duty model. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/for/2148949037.html

Last edited by GP; 01-09-11 at 08:34 PM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 08:50 PM   #8
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Machine number one is a beauty (and a great deal if all is working) if all you need to do is simple straight stitches and the industrial machine would make... um... panniers.

So will mine as it is a bombproof machine.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 02:08 PM   #9
mlts22 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Call me crazy, but where I was shopping for some cloth items for a renfaire, the cheapest they had a sewing machine was $1500. I just wonder what gewgaws are put on a sewing machine these days to make the price so high compared to the old mechanical ones.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 08:45 PM   #10
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Check thrift stores. I see older Singers somewhat regularly. My sister took my Mom's mid-50s model about 20 years ago and still uses it. It made a lot of our clothes when we were kids.

You might also put a WTB ad on Craigslist. I looked for months for a truck cross bed bike rack. My wife suggested a WTB ad and I got one withing hours.

Here you go. Probably too far but it shows they're available. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/app/2151802608.html or go for the heavy duty model. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/for/2148949037.html
I just checked out the Los Angeles area Craiglist. I seen many, many sewing machines for sale that I would be interested in as I prefer to use mechanical ones with few stitches (straight and zig zag is what I usually use and need for all construction of my projects).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Machine number one is a beauty (and a great deal if all is working) if all you need to do is simple straight stitches and the industrial machine would make... um... panniers.

So will mine as it is a bombproof machine.
I mostly make bags, slipcovers and stuff for the home environment at present. All that fancy stitchery that I seen on the modern electronic and computerize ones are mostly a waste for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
Call me crazy, but where I was shopping for some cloth items for a renfaire, the cheapest they had a sewing machine was $1500. I just wonder what gewgaws are put on a sewing machine these days to make the price so high compared to the old mechanical ones.
The sort of market that is dependent on ignorance of true value of something, impulse buying, and most of all, that illusive "cool" factor that everyone wants a part of.
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 12:14 AM   #11
c0urt
moving target
 
c0urt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: birmingham, al
Bikes: a masi speciale, and a kuota k-factor.
Posts: 2,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would keep yours, and get it fixed at your convenience. But I would also get a new machine if you have the space for both.
I am using a 1981 union special industrial straight stitch whats with the old machines around here, and a singer heavy duty.
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 08:04 PM   #12
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0urt View Post
I would keep yours, and get it fixed at your convenience. But I would also get a new machine if you have the space for both.
I am using a 1981 union special industrial straight stitch whats with the old machines around here, and a singer heavy duty.
I will be in the market for one very soon. When I do, it will be just as basic & mechanical as my present one is right now.
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:58 AM.