Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66
  1. #1
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The Electronic Cigarette Thread

    Please don't let this become a smoking flame-fest. This is to talk about the technology and all the available gadgetry out there.

    I bought an Njoy NPRO starter kit 3 days ago. Njoy is the brand, NPRO is the model. It's currently being sold at all 7-Elevens around here.

    The Njoy NPRO starter kits @ 7-Eleven are pretty cheap @ $19.95 and come with:

    - 1 Battery
    - 1 Charger (USB)
    - 2 x Cartridges

    The cartridges it came with where the regular flavor so I also bought a pack of 5 menthol cartridges for another 20 bucks.

    From my short experience a cartridge will last like 3/4 of a pack so price is almost the same per cartridge as buying regular cigs.

    The regular flavor cartridges actually taste like grape, weird. The menthol ones compare to newport lights.

    I did some research and it turns out that the cartridges I bought are 1.2% nicotine content which is suppose to be an equivalent to a "light" cigarette. Cartridges with more nicotine content (1.8%) are available on the internet.

    Now, these e-cigs are a 2 part device. The battery and the cartridge. Inside the cartridge you will find both the "atomizer" (what makes the water vapor) and the nicotine liquid. Higher end e-cigs are 3 part devices, with battery-->atomizer->cartridge where the cartridge only has the nicotine liquid. On this higher end models you can refill the cartridges yourself and reuse the atomizer a few times before trowing it away.

    So, I made more research...

    It turns out that the Njoy NPRO is based on a design called the "RN4081". Many popular e-cigs are also based on the RN4081 and parts are compatible. Atomizers and Refillable cartridges for the RN4081 are supposed to fit like a globe on the NPRO batteries.

    I'm gonna hit the local smoke shops tomorrow to see if they carry the RN4081 compatible Atomizers, Empty Cartridges, E-Liquid (the nicotine solution) and Flavors... If I can't find them, I'll be ordering from the internet. Will let you know how it goes.

    I haven't own the thing long enough as to make proper review. But I've been using at work when the cravings kick in (every 2 hours) and it kept me from getting out the building for a "real" smoke break. Pretty cool smoking in the office too... lol
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  2. #2
    My Bad!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD 9, Specialized Transition
    Posts
    1,856
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You sound like you're becomin addicted to ecigs?
    Quote Originally Posted by coasting
    hello kitty is evil. i was thrown out of the shop for trying to take a pic. evil big corporate strong arm tactics. kitty is dead to me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a co-worker who smoked his electronic cig in the office. It smelled just like a cig to me....maybe he was doing something wrong with it, but I couldn't stand it.

  4. #4
    The Left Coast, USA FrenchFit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,322
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    Please don't let this become a smoking flame-fest. This is to talk about the technology and all the available gadgetry out there.

    I bought an Njoy NPRO starter kit 3 days ago. Njoy is the brand, NPRO is the model. It's currently being sold at all 7-Elevens around here.

    The Njoy NPRO starter kits @ 7-Eleven are pretty cheap @ $19.95 and come with:

    - 1 Battery
    - 1 Charger (USB)
    - 2 x Cartridges

    The cartridges it came with where the regular flavor so I also bought a pack of 5 menthol cartridges for another 20 bucks.

    From my short experience a cartridge will last like 3/4 of a pack so price is almost the same per cartridge as buying regular cigs.

    The regular flavor cartridges actually taste like grape, weird. The menthol ones compare to newport lights.

    I did some research and it turns out that the cartridges I bought are 1.2% nicotine content which is suppose to be an equivalent to a "light" cigarette. Cartridges with more nicotine content (1.8%) are available on the internet.

    Now, these e-cigs are a 2 part device. The battery and the cartridge. Inside the cartridge you will find both the "atomizer" (what makes the water vapor) and the nicotine liquid. Higher end e-cigs are 3 part devices, with battery-->atomizer->cartridge where the cartridge only has the nicotine liquid. On this higher end models you can refill the cartridges yourself and reuse the atomizer a few times before trowing it away.

    So, I made more research...

    It turns out that the Njoy NPRO is based on a design called the "RN4081". Many popular e-cigs are also based on the RN4081 and parts are compatible. Atomizers and Refillable cartridges for the RN4081 are supposed to fit like a globe on the NPRO batteries.

    I'm gonna hit the local smoke shops tomorrow to see if they carry the RN4081 compatible Atomizers, Empty Cartridges, E-Liquid (the nicotine solution) and Flavors... If I can't find them, I'll be ordering from the internet. Will let you know how it goes.

    I haven't own the thing long enough as to make proper review. But I've been using at work when the cravings kick in (every 2 hours) and it kept me from getting out the building for a "real" smoke break. Pretty cool smoking in the office too... lol
    If you haven't tried it, Swedish Snus in an outstanding substitute. You can order it online, takes a week to arrive. 100s of styles to choose from. Don't even bother with the american stuff, it's junk.

  5. #5
    Senior Member no motor?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    3,871
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw something on tv last night about failed inventions, and they mentioned the flameless Premier cigarette from 1988. Maybe you could pick up some of them for even less than the current model.

  6. #6
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rube,
    Can you repack those ciggolectrics with Daytona Doobies?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  7. #7
    Refrigerator Raider Hater fordmanvt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Barre, VT
    My Bikes
    2008 Sequoia
    Posts
    807
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my co-workers got a $60 kit, I don't know what brand, but he is very happy with them and claims he is smoking less (including the e-cigs).

    He doesn't stink like tobacco anymore.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,687
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that is a mini vaporizer and is a "tobacco product" in the same way a bong is a "tobacco product."

  9. #9
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "smell" some people complain about is either one of these 2:

    1. The person still smokes regular cigarettes when outside the building, and e-cigs inside. He will smell from the real cigs, it sticks to you.
    2. The person actually uses a nicotine solution that has additives to smell like the real thing. Uncommon but possible.

    The technology is indeed a "vaporizer". Same thing as toy trains that trow "puffs" into the air.

    Back in 1988, a pack of cigs was like $1.25 - $1.50 and you could smoke in a lot of places. Plus lithium ion batteries didn't exist so yeah, it had to fail back then. Now days batteries exist, cigs are way to expensive (taxes mostly) and people don't wanna deal with the smoke anymore.

    I visited many local shops, they don't carry the supplies I need (liquid nicotine, empty cartridges, etc). It seems they can't make big profits out of e-cigs because internet shops are SOOOOO cheap that's difficult to compete.

    I'm gonna spend some time researching online shops but I already know what I'm gonna get... I'll go with the slightly larger "510". Seems to be far more popular than the 4081, ergo, easier to get parts and supplies for it. Manual battery, separate atomizer, refillable cartridges. Something like this:

    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  10. #10
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
    I believe that is a mini vaporizer and is a "tobacco product" in the same way a bong is a "tobacco product."
    Oh... missed this one. The answer is NO. The nicotine is synthetic, no tobacco is used in its manufacture. It is not a "Tobacco Product".
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  11. #11
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,009
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    Oh... missed this one. The answer is NO. The nicotine is synthetic, no tobacco is used in its manufacture. It is not a "Tobacco Product".
    He's talking about a different vaporizer, Ruben. They sell one for alternative burn materials as well as nicotine cartridges.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  12. #12
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,009
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It's like my plasma jet pipe lighter. I could have spent $75 on a Ronson Pipe Torch, or the $5.99 I spent on the cheap plasma lighter they sell in a headshop to heat up and vaporize the contents of that little glass pipe. I bought the cheapie from the headshop because it works as well as the Ronson Pipe torch to light my Cavendish tobacco, and so far, I've gotten 2 years use out of the cheapie. It's also windproof.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  13. #13
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    He's talking about a different vaporizer, Ruben. They sell one for alternative burn materials as well as nicotine cartridges.
    Oh well... in that case, a personal vaporizer is just a delivery system. Like a pipe, it could be filled with many different things. I even heard of people filling up the cartridges with Albuterol/saline solutions and using them as asthma inhalers.
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  14. #14
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    Oh well... in that case, a personal vaporizer is just a delivery system. Like a pipe, it could be filled with many different things. I even heard of people filling up the cartridges with Albuterol/saline solutions and using them as asthma inhalers.
    With the right cartridge it give a whole new meaning to (electric)"buzz".This product "will" be abused.

    *The only thing you need to suck in is air+food.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terre Haute, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, depending on the day
    My Bikes
    n, I would like n+1
    Posts
    1,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ruben. I like the thing in the cig, but are you taking the cost of this gizmo into account?

  16. #16
    Fax Transport Specialist black_box's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    chicago burbs
    My Bikes
    '07 fuji cross pro, '10 gary fisher x-caliber
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can't you just add a little bit of this liquid nicotine to your coffee?

  17. #17
    Senior Member no motor?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    3,871
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there going to be any wacka waka puffa puffa with this later? I'd think so.

  18. #18
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ jccaclimber

    The the initial cost of the gizmo starting @ 19.95 I didn't really take it into account. Even a great super gizmo would be around $30 - $35 bucks. With the savings over traditional cigarettes it's like it's free.

    @ black_box

    Dunno. Will research

    @ no motor

    No wacka wacka but definitely lots of puff puff.
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  19. #19
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    @ jccaclimber

    The the initial cost of the gizmo starting @ 19.95 I didn't really take it into account. Even a great super gizmo would be around $30 - $35 bucks. With the savings over traditional cigarettes it's like it's free.

    @ black_box

    Dunno. Will research

    @ no motor

    No wacka wacka but definitely lots of puff puff.
    Easy on that "puff puff" hombre.I saw a guy turn into a lizard from that.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  20. #20
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

    I received my new E-Cig yesterday, a Joye Ego which is basically a 510 with a bigger battery. The amount of vapor coming out of this thing is just amazing. It's like 10 times the vapor of the cheap Npro I started with. THIS really feels like a real cigarette. I can honestly say I know prefer to suck on the Ego E-cig MORE THAN a regular newport... it is THAT GOOD.

    The Ego standard batteries are 650mah (blows the 180mah Npro out the water) and lasts the whole day. The one I got has a USB port in the other end so it can be used as a pass-trough as well, enabling you to vape and charge at the same time.

    The only thing is that after a few uses, the cartridge starts to gets dry (duh) and vapor amount decreases. Opening the cartridge and topping it off with 3 or 4 drops of e-juice gets the vapor back to amazing levels. But I will like to try the Ego Tank cartridge. Those hold a lot more e-juice. But for now, the current setup works like a charm.

    As for the e-juice, I'm vaping something called "SAM-Mint", VG base @ 26mg strength. I only ordered a small 10ml bottle to try it, but I love it and will order a whole lot more before I go sampling anything else.

    Here's some pictures:


    * Joye Ego


    * The Pass-through battery I'm using

    Vape on!
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  21. #21
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who works for Freedom Smoke USA (hilarious name, great company).

    Rube, if you wanna quit nicotine, quit it. If you're using this as a helping tool, use it as a tool and wean yourself off the stuff.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terre Haute, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, depending on the day
    My Bikes
    n, I would like n+1
    Posts
    1,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, that's an interesting question. Rube, are you using this to kick the addiction, or because you can do it indoors and because you can't afford cigarettes?

  23. #23
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Smoking" is the act of sucking on a burning stick filled with Tobacco, tar and 300 other nasty things.

    "Vaping" is the act of sucking a vaporizer device that gives you Propylene Glycol, nicotine and water.

    By switching to vapor you can say you quit smoking, because you are not burning anything. You are still using nicotine, yes. But you are not smoking and that is a great thing.

    Think of it this way. Let's say you use to drive a big 4x4, Hummer sized, blasting CO2 everywhere you go. Then one day you switch to a small, greener, fully electric car. Yes, you are still called a "cager" among the car free community as you are still driving a car. But it would be silly to say that since you are not yet "car free", all the benefits of the electric car should be ignored.
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  24. #24
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2011 Windsor Shetland mini-velo, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
    Actually, that's an interesting question. Rube, are you using this to kick the addiction, or because you can do it indoors and because you can't afford cigarettes?
    Quote Originally Posted by x136 View Post
    Initially, I figured the thread and the signature were just an odd coincidence, like: You bought the faux cigarette, realized how silly it was to let your addiction control you and make you jump through hoops, and decided to just quit instead.

    It wasn't until you updated this thread with another faux cigarette purchase that I noticed the signature isn't about stopping smoking, but instead about "not using cigarettes," which is more than a little disingenuous.
    Do I smell a Foo intervention coming on here?
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I Debian: II openSUSE: I

  25. #25
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
    Do I smell a Foo intervention coming on here?
    You'll have better luck taking away Pcad's I-phone than Rube's NicoStick.
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •