Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Stir?

  1. #1
    Senior Member RunningPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Millbrae, CA
    My Bikes
    1970? Dawes Galaxy, 1992 Biscayne Lazer, 1999 Specialized FSR Elite, 2011 Raleigh Record Ace
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Stir?

    OK - so I'm nuking some frozen ravioli for dinner. The instructions on the box say to cook for 3 minutes, stir, then cook for 2 more minutes.

    Stir? Who am I? Chef Boyardee? If I wanted to cook, I would not have bought frozen ravioli. Sheesh!
    There's nothing for you to see here...just move along, now...

  2. #2
    That darn Yankee TexasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West West Fort Worth
    My Bikes
    Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
    Posts
    4,286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningPirate View Post
    OK - so I'm nuking some frozen ravioli for dinner. The instructions on the box say to cook for 3 minutes, stir, then cook for 2 more minutes.

    Stir? Who am I? Chef Boyardee? If I wanted to cook, I would not have bought frozen ravioli. Sheesh!
    You know - back in the days, like the 60s and 70s I think when Betty Crocker was just getting started with their prefabbed cakes, they were trying to figure out why women wouldn't buy them. I mean women were now taking to the work force and acquiring more hobbies than just cooking so time was becoming more and more precious to them.

    Some marketing/advertising genius figured out that women thought they were cheating. He told Betty Crocker to instead provide instructions requiring them to add eggs. That simple step made them feel like they were not cheating.

    So you should have a sense of accomplishment with your "required" step of stirring.
    Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
    "Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
    So many sayings, so little sig space.

  3. #3
    Senior Member RunningPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Millbrae, CA
    My Bikes
    1970? Dawes Galaxy, 1992 Biscayne Lazer, 1999 Specialized FSR Elite, 2011 Raleigh Record Ace
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    So you should have a sense of accomplishment with your "required" step of stirring.
    So that explains that sense of well-being and inner peace I get every time...interesting...very interesting. Of course, now I just feel like I'm being manipulated by the folks at Lean Cuisine...which makes me feel a bit cheap...welp, so much for that peace and well being!
    There's nothing for you to see here...just move along, now...

  4. #4
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    8,043
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmm food type product.
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  5. #5
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microwaves do not heat food evenly; the inside cooks faster than the outside. Stirring the food halfway through will ensure it is evenly heated.



    Yes, I'm an engineer.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  6. #6
    That darn Yankee TexasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West West Fort Worth
    My Bikes
    Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
    Posts
    4,286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    Microwaves do not heat food evenly; the inside cooks faster than the outside. Stirring the food halfway through will ensure it is evenly heated.



    Yes, I'm an engineer.
    Darn engineers, always ruining my fun.
    Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
    "Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
    So many sayings, so little sig space.

  7. #7
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a foodie as well as an engineer. Overcooked microwave food is not very tasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  8. #8
    Senior Member RunningPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Millbrae, CA
    My Bikes
    1970? Dawes Galaxy, 1992 Biscayne Lazer, 1999 Specialized FSR Elite, 2011 Raleigh Record Ace
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    I am a foodie as well as an engineer. Overcooked microwave food is not very tasty.
    Indeed. Undercooked is worse....
    There's nothing for you to see here...just move along, now...

  9. #9
    Dirt Bomb sknhgy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,575
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    Microwaves do not heat food evenly; the inside cooks faster than the outside.
    Are you sure about this? Someone told me this a long time ago and I have checked my food and this does not seem to be the case. I think the outside heats faster, and that is why one must stir their food.

  10. #10
    Caffeinated. Camel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    My Bikes
    Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept
    Posts
    1,541
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    Are you sure about this? Someone told me this a long time ago and I have checked my food and this does not seem to be the case. I think the outside heats faster, and that is why one must stir their food.
    Cute furry fuzzy bunnies allways cook from the inside out in a microwave. Particularly if they have a pancake as a hat.
    mmmm coffeee!

    email: jfoneg (_"a t symbol thing"_) yahoo (_"period or dot"_) com

  11. #11
    That darn Yankee TexasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West West Fort Worth
    My Bikes
    Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
    Posts
    4,286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    Are you sure about this? Someone told me this a long time ago and I have checked my food and this does not seem to be the case. I think the outside heats faster, and that is why one must stir their food.
    Believe it depends upon the thingie. It's constitution, the temperature, how wide/thick/tall it is.
    Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
    "Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
    So many sayings, so little sig space.

  12. #12
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,083
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    You know - back in the days, like the 60s and 70s I think when Betty Crocker was just getting started with their prefabbed cakes, they were trying to figure out why women wouldn't buy them. I mean women were now taking to the work force and acquiring more hobbies than just cooking so time was becoming more and more precious to them.

    Some marketing/advertising genius figured out that women thought they were cheating. He told Betty Crocker to instead provide instructions requiring them to add eggs. That simple step made them feel like they were not cheating.

    So you should have a sense of accomplishment with your "required" step of stirring.
    dayum it is good to have you back. just sayin
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  13. #13
    smorenivore colorider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    My Bikes
    '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    356
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're feeling really adventurous you should make some of these to go with your ravioli

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html



    <hint> read the comments they're a riot

  14. #14
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    Cute furry fuzzy bunnies allways cook from the inside out in a microwave. Particularly if they have a pancake as a hat.
    incorrect
    Just like a cat,their internal organs tend to explode upon cooking in a microwave oven.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  15. #15
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    Believe it depends upon the thingie. It's constitution, the temperature, how wide/thick/tall it is.
    This is true. Microwaves heat water molecules. Heating depends on the consistency of the food.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  16. #16
    Fax Transport Specialist black_box's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    chicago burbs
    My Bikes
    '07 fuji cross pro, '10 gary fisher x-caliber
    Posts
    784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm confused why you're nuking them anyway, aren't you supposed to boil frozen ravioli? hint, they're done when they all float.

  17. #17
    Senior Member RunningPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Millbrae, CA
    My Bikes
    1970? Dawes Galaxy, 1992 Biscayne Lazer, 1999 Specialized FSR Elite, 2011 Raleigh Record Ace
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps, normally, but these are Lean Cuisine ravioli.

    B'sides - if I can't be bothered the stir, I suresthehell can't deal with boiling water
    There's nothing for you to see here...just move along, now...

  18. #18
    Senior Member ScottStr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My Bikes
    Windsor Wellington 3.0
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My chicken pot pies required cooking for 7 minutes at 50% power, then 7 minutes at full power. My wife isn't technical enough to set the microwave for less than full power. She would have cussed them for making it so complicated.

  19. #19
    That darn Yankee TexasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West West Fort Worth
    My Bikes
    Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
    Posts
    4,286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can program PLC controllers but I find programming microwave's power levels to be annoying. And every microwave is different.
    Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
    "Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
    So many sayings, so little sig space.

  20. #20
    Cool Beans MangoPumpkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Cadent
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    I can program PLC controllers but I find programming microwave's power levels to be annoying. And every microwave is different.
    My SO works for GE Appliance Service and I still have trouble figuring it out
    I've got your restraining order right here. [grabs crotch] Restrain this!

  21. #21
    holyrollin' FlatTop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    L.B.N.J.U.S.A.
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Racer(hot rod 3 sp.), noname cantilever frame 1 sp., Peugeot U-O8, Kia 10 sp., soon-to-be-custom Sears Free Spirit 3sp.(project), department store mountain bike 21 sp.
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My "cup" of "noodles" soup (no brand implied) requires a seperate container to boil a few ounces of water in the microwave, to be added to a specified level in the cup. Then stirred.

    They think I'm freakin' Emeril.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •