Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-11, 07:46 PM   #1
Sledbikes
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sledbikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how dangerous is it to delete a windows.old file

i reinstalled XP on my computer and realized it made a windows.old folder and this thing is gobling up 3/4s of hard drive can i do away with it cause it wont let me install the windows7 upgrade due to lack of space.
Sledbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 09:06 PM   #2
mikeybikes
Senior Member
 
mikeybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edgewater, CO
Bikes: Tons
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Should be fine.

A better idea might be to install Windows 7 from scratch.

Be sure and back up your data.
mikeybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 09:13 PM   #3
Couch
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Install Ubuntu.

Couch
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 09:20 PM   #4
009jim
Senior Member
 
009jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
Posts: 1,288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Install from scratch so that any root kits, and other junk etc are cleaned up. I should do this myself. It's such a drag though because you have to waste time re-connecting to internet, downloading virus protection etc, etc.
009jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 10:45 PM   #5
Sledbikes
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sledbikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009jim View Post
Install from scratch so that any root kits, and other junk etc are cleaned up. I should do this myself. It's such a drag though because you have to waste time re-connecting to internet, downloading virus protection etc, etc.
i only have a win7 upgrade not the full program
Sledbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 11:25 PM   #6
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
Posts: 12,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you can even get windows to delete it for you by running disk cleanup.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 11:50 AM   #7
willmw
Old enough to know better
 
willmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Central GA, USA
Bikes: Haro Heartland Express LE, Dawes Lightning 1000
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure on this that there is NO upgrade of XP to Win7 so the 'upgrade' only means you paid somewhat less than full price (maybe) for the privilege of using Micro-Shaft's 'latest & greatest' OS. The install will be the same if you completely wipe your HD and start from scratch. If you've been using the reinstalled XP for some time without having to browse to the .old folder to find anything there's likely nothing there you need anyway. Just be sure you have your important data, files, pics, etc. backed up somewhere before you begin....otherwise, I think you'll lose them.
willmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 03:32 PM   #8
sneefy
Cactuar!
 
sneefy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: '04 Iron Horse Hollowpoint, '01 Giant Boulder with all non-original parts, '99 Trek 7500 (frame), Mid '90's? Wheeler MTB frame (anybody want it?), '96 Specialized Crossroads, '86 Schwinn Predator Qualifier, 1976 Viscount Aerospace Pro (no death fork)
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledbikes View Post
i only have a win7 upgrade not the full program
Doesn't matter.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...-upgrade-media

You can easily do a clean install of 7 with only upgrade media. I've done it many times. No need to pay for the full version when upgrade media is the same thing!

Also, best practice is to never upgrade operating systems. Always do a clean install.
sneefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 08:23 AM   #9
Hydraulic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To answer your question OP, deleting the windows.old folder has no adverse affects on the operating system. When you perform an upgrade, Windows 7 will take the contents of the previous OS and place them into a folder called windows.old. During the upgrade, it will transfer the user files & folders & settings from the windows.old folder into the windows_x86 folder (for 32-bit installations) or just windows ( for 64-bit installations). Once the upgrade is complete, the OS will leave that folder on the hard disk for later deletion. All you need to do is right click, select delete, give it a few minutes, then run disk cleanup/defrag.

And as others have posted, you can use the Windows 7 upgrade disk to perform a clean (fresh) installation. to do that, backup your information to CD/DVD/USB using Windows easy transfer, insert the Windows 7 upgrade disk, select clean installation. Do not enter the product key at this point. After the clean install is complete, apply any windows updates that are available. Finally, insert the Windows 7 disk again and run it while still logged in, but this time, select upgrade. Enter the product key when prompted. Apply file and settings you backed up using Windows Easy Transfer and your good to go.

Note: need to drink less coffee. I talk to much
Hydraulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 10:40 AM   #10
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Man, nuking the windows.old folder is going to start the Windows Apocalypse.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: Xubuntu / Ubuntu MATE / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 4.4 / CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 04:58 PM   #11
Sledbikes
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sledbikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulic View Post
To answer your question OP, deleting the windows.old folder has no adverse affects on the operating system. When you perform an upgrade, Windows 7 will take the contents of the previous OS and place them into a folder called windows.old. During the upgrade, it will transfer the user files & folders & settings from the windows.old folder into the windows_x86 folder (for 32-bit installations) or just windows ( for 64-bit installations). Once the upgrade is complete, the OS will leave that folder on the hard disk for later deletion. All you need to do is right click, select delete, give it a few minutes, then run disk cleanup/defrag.

And as others have posted, you can use the Windows 7 upgrade disk to perform a clean (fresh) installation. to do that, backup your information to CD/DVD/USB using Windows easy transfer, insert the Windows 7 upgrade disk, select clean installation. Do not enter the product key at this point. After the clean install is complete, apply any windows updates that are available. Finally, insert the Windows 7 disk again and run it while still logged in, but this time, select upgrade. Enter the product key when prompted. Apply file and settings you backed up using Windows Easy Transfer and your good to go.

Note: need to drink less coffee. I talk to much
thanks i got 140GB back im happy with that till the new rig is built after that sucker is up and running im gonna shoot mine up with my best friends AA12
Sledbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-14, 11:28 AM   #12
tessa123
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulic View Post
To answer your question OP, deleting the windows.old folder has no adverse affects on the operating system. When you perform an upgrade, Windows 7 will take the contents of the previous OS and place them into a folder called windows.old. During the upgrade, it will transfer the user files & folders & settings from the windows.old folder into the windows_x86 folder (for 32-bit installations) or just windows ( for 64-bit installations). Once the upgrade is complete, the OS will leave that folder on the hard disk for later deletion. All you need to do is right click, select delete, give it a few minutes, then run disk cleanup/defrag.

And as others have posted, you can use the Windows 7 upgrade disk to perform a clean (fresh) installation. to do that, backup your information to CD/DVD/USB using Windows easy transfer, insert the Windows 7 upgrade disk, select clean installation. Do not enter the product key at this point. After the clean install is complete, apply any windows updates that disk cleanup tools are available. Finally, insert the Windows 7 disk again and run it while still logged in, but this time, select upgrade. Enter the product key when prompted. Apply file and settings you backed up using Windows Easy Transfer and your good to go.

Note: need to drink less coffee. I talk to much
I also recommend using Space Sniffer to get an illustrated diagram of the disk and locate Windows.old
tessa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-14, 11:42 AM   #13
wphamilton
rugged individualist
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Bikes: Nashbar Road
Posts: 10,423
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
I'd nuke it since it shouldn't be in use. Maybe lose a few drivers. BUT, we are talking about Windows here and weirdness is always possible so as always, at your own risk.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-14, 11:47 AM   #14
RPK79
Senior Member
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 8,724
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
My guess is the OP deleted it and was never able to use the computer again which is why they haven't posted on the forum since 2011.
RPK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-14, 11:49 AM   #15
skijor 
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Deleting it will release the zombie horde. Only do so if you have enough ammo...and Cheez-Its.
skijor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-14, 11:50 AM   #16
wphamilton
rugged individualist
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Bikes: Nashbar Road
Posts: 10,423
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
My guess is the OP deleted it and was never able to use the computer again which is why they haven't posted on the forum since 2011.
I hate it when that happens.

And now the worst part is wondering how it turned out all those years ago.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-14, 11:52 AM   #17
RPK79
Senior Member
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 8,724
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
I hate it when that happens.

And now the worst part is wondering how it turned out all those years ago.
Well they had activity up until 3 months after this thread so if they deleted it things must have turned out.

Edit: post #11 seems to indicate a happy ending.
RPK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-14, 12:00 PM   #18
wphamilton
rugged individualist
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Bikes: Nashbar Road
Posts: 10,423
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
Well they had activity up until 3 months after this thread so if they deleted it things must have turned out.

Edit: post #11 seems to indicate a happy ending.
Can't trust the end-user's "all clear" after one day though. Windows weirdness might not show up to a casual inspection right off the bat.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-14, 12:24 PM   #19
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,970
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
And on a related subject... is there any way to install a new OS and not have to go through the mind numbing process of reinstalling each and every damn program?

The OS install will only take a few hours at worst... the install of everything from printer setup to the various graphics editors and CAD tools will take days... which is the part I hate the most... especially since some of these programs insist on taking the time to call the mothership before they will run... ugggg!
genec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-14, 12:34 PM   #20
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
And on a related subject... is there any way to install a new OS and not have to go through the mind numbing process of reinstalling each and every damn program?

The OS install will only take a few hours at worst... the install of everything from printer setup to the various graphics editors and CAD tools will take days... which is the part I hate the most... especially since some of these programs insist on taking the time to call the mothership before they will run... ugggg!
Nope. Just suck it up and waste the time.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: Xubuntu / Ubuntu MATE / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 4.4 / CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-14, 03:33 PM   #21
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,970
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
Nope. Just suck it up and waste the time.
Yeah... let's see how many days of my life have I wasted on upgrades since DOS... ARRRRG!
genec is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:04 PM.