Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: iProducts

  1. #1
    Senior Member RunningPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Millbrae, CA
    My Bikes
    1970? Dawes Galaxy, 1992 Biscayne Lazer, 1999 Specialized FSR Elite, 2011 Raleigh Record Ace
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    iProducts

    Mornin' Folks...I'm screwing around instead of working, so I thought I'd post here...this is mainly for the techy folks on BF...

    I am toying with drinking The Cupertino Kool Aid and getting an iPad. The main purpose is to use it as an e-reader, but I can see it being used for other stuff once I get a hold of it. I know that iPads come in 16, 32 and 64GB. In the olden days, I'd be concerned about this as I'd need to store books, music and other whathaveyou.

    Now - recently Apple announced the upcoming iCloud, which I interpret as being more or less of a gigantic hard drive in space (conceptually, that is - actually, I know it involves racks of servers, TCP/IP, electrons and such) that I can access from anywhere and store everything on .

    So considering that, does that mean that I would not need to concern myself with actual on-board storage and can go with the smallest capacity (16GB) iPad? Or are there still reasons for getting a higher-capacity device?

    Thanks.
    There's nothing for you to see here...just move along, now...

  2. #2
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,727
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on how your connectivity situation is. If you're going to use 3G or WiFi all the time, then maybe you can get less on-board storage and use the cloud. But if you are going to travel with this thing and go places without coverage or use it a lot on airplanes, etc., then you will want more storage.

    Also, on-board storage is always going to perform better than downloading stuff.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I openSUSE: III

  3. #3
    Member bikeEMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16 or 32 should be plenty unless you plan to do a lot of movies.

    I've got a 16 and my iphone is 32. I don't fill either up most of the time. I did load up the 16gb iPad with movies for a trip once to keep the kids entertained but it was plenty.

    Save the money if you can

  4. #4
    Senior Member RunningPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Millbrae, CA
    My Bikes
    1970? Dawes Galaxy, 1992 Biscayne Lazer, 1999 Specialized FSR Elite, 2011 Raleigh Record Ace
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
    Depends on how your connectivity situation is. If you're going to use 3G or WiFi all the time, then maybe you can get less on-board storage and use the cloud. But if you are going to travel with this thing and go places without coverage or use it a lot on airplanes, etc., then you will want more storage.

    Also, on-board storage is always going to perform better than downloading stuff.
    [Slaps self in forehead] I did not think about the connectivity issue...yes, cloud storage requires actually being able to connect to said Cloud. I was looking at the Wi-Fi version - fine for CalTrain; no good for BART. It's all so much clearer now....thanks for the help!

    BTW - you're decanting the Yoo Hoo, now? Are you moving upscale on us?
    There's nothing for you to see here...just move along, now...

  5. #5
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,727
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningPirate View Post
    [Slaps self in forehead] I did not think about the connectivity issue...yes, cloud storage requires actually being able to connect to said Cloud. I was looking at the Wi-Fi version - fine for CalTrain; no good for BART. It's all so much clearer now....thanks for the help!

    BTW - you're decanting the Yoo Hoo, now? Are you moving upscale on us?
    Caltrain doesn't have WiFi (but they did pilot it in... maybe 2006-7), but you can get 3G coverage on the train. Not sure about BART.

    Now, as to the pic... it was a hotel suite and they had wine glasses in the kitchen. I had a little fun with it.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I openSUSE: III

  6. #6
    Senior Member RunningPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Millbrae, CA
    My Bikes
    1970? Dawes Galaxy, 1992 Biscayne Lazer, 1999 Specialized FSR Elite, 2011 Raleigh Record Ace
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
    Caltrain doesn't have WiFi (but they did pilot it in... maybe 2006-7), but you can get 3G coverage on the train. Not sure about BART.

    Now, as to the pic... it was a hotel suite and they had wine glasses in the kitchen. I had a little fun with it.
    Hmm...I see that I'm completely wrong...(about WiFi on CalTrain, that is). S'OK, though - from what I've been reading, it seems that some folks do the data shuffle: Upload what you need for the near term, which makes sense...I mean I really don't think I'll need to carry around 20 movies, 5 books and 490 hours of music all the time...b'sides, it'd be too heavy to carry

    ...also, glad to see that you're not getting too classy...
    There's nothing for you to see here...just move along, now...

  7. #7
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,727
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 3G card in the laptop is pretty much the norm for people on Caltrain, but yeah, those without probably just download or flash-drive what they need for the trip. Lots of people sitting there staring at Outlook or Gmail or whatever whiling away the hours while their chosen mode of conveyance keeps running people over.

    When I am on the train (usually when I am late or I don't feel like dealing with the rain), I'm only on for 10-15 minutes, so staring out the window is enough.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I openSUSE: III

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Irving, TX
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people have criticized the iPad because of how limited it is WRT even the cheapest netbook computer. However I think the iPad opens up its own avenues of use and can be great for people that can make use of it. It will do lots of things- for me I had envisioned watching videos on it, checking email or the internet when I didn't want to crank up the big computer, carrying it with me to show photos to people, light gaming, and maybe as an ereader. Yes a notebook computer will do this too but they are bigger and heavier and take longer to load.

    But now that you want a tablet, consider that there is a wide range of andoid tablets available, and a growing number of windows tablets. So you have to choose what OS you want then pick the hardware. And if you really want to do a lot of ereading, do you want Amazon or Barnes&Noble or what? Barnes&Noble has the color Nook which is much less money than an iPad but had the android OS and can play games and so forth almost like an iPad.

    Last year I wanted an iPad, and didn't get one because of my accident. I've considered getting one since then, and I think I might still want the iPad over an Android, but the cost difference is very significant.

  9. #9
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,727
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is also the Pandigital Android tablet that is $103 at MicroCenter right now (sadly, not available online).
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I openSUSE: III

  10. #10
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many RIAA & MPAA bots will be looking at this "cloud" to catch any unauthorized copies you might accidentally place there?
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  11. #11
    Senior Member RunningPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Millbrae, CA
    My Bikes
    1970? Dawes Galaxy, 1992 Biscayne Lazer, 1999 Specialized FSR Elite, 2011 Raleigh Record Ace
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    How many RIAA & MPAA bots will be looking at this "cloud" to catch any unauthorized copies you might accidentally place there?
    I'll let the illegal downloaders sweat that - everything I have was either a) from my own CD's or b) purchased off of iTunes
    There's nothing for you to see here...just move along, now...

  12. #12
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningPirate View Post
    I'll let the illegal downloaders sweat that - everything I have was either a) from my own CD's or b) purchased off of iTunes
    Have you installed software from your own legally purchased CDs in more than one computer at the time?

    *Rube looks at RunningPirate's nick*

    /Nevermind
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  13. #13
    Senior Member RunningPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Millbrae, CA
    My Bikes
    1970? Dawes Galaxy, 1992 Biscayne Lazer, 1999 Specialized FSR Elite, 2011 Raleigh Record Ace
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    Have you installed software from your own legally purchased CDs in more than one computer at the time?

    *Rube looks at RunningPirate's nick*

    /Nevermind
    [Slaps forehead for second time in one day] OK - did not think about my handle - good catch, tho...
    There's nothing for you to see here...just move along, now...

  14. #14
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningPirate View Post
    Mornin' Folks...I'm screwing around instead of working, so I thought I'd post here...this is mainly for the techy folks on BF...

    I am toying with drinking The Cupertino Kool Aid and getting an iPad. The main purpose is to use it as an e-reader, but I can see it being used for other stuff once I get a hold of it. I know that iPads come in 16, 32 and 64GB. In the olden days, I'd be concerned about this as I'd need to store books, music and other whathaveyou.

    Now - recently Apple announced the upcoming iCloud, which I interpret as being more or less of a gigantic hard drive in space (conceptually, that is - actually, I know it involves racks of servers, TCP/IP, electrons and such) that I can access from anywhere and store everything on .

    So considering that, does that mean that I would not need to concern myself with actual on-board storage and can go with the smallest capacity (16GB) iPad? Or are there still reasons for getting a higher-capacity device?

    Thanks.
    From my understanding the iCloud is basically a "free" 5 gig dropbox which automatically syncs all your iWhatevers with eachother. Music (to a degree), photos, contacts, emails, contact conversations, etc.

    I'm getting an iPad in the next week or two and am considering ditching my Android in a year and a half once my contract is up for an iPhone. With the announcement of iMessage, I can finally be free of any lust for Blackberry!

    With smaller capacity iPads, it's my understanding (although not practiced yet) that you can hook up a memory card with limited media types for viewing via the camera connector kit. I know this works with photos, but don't know about videos.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  15. #15
    Senior Member surgtech1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR 3W, Giant Rincon, Trek 7100
    Posts
    124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about an Ipad, I have an Iphone, but like the idea of a tablet, quicker, etc..... I'm thinking about just a wifi version, just because I don't want to spend anymore $$$ on data plans, if I really need a 3g network, then I have my Iphone. I thought about the Android tablets, but I want to stick to one OS for everything. I have a windows 7 laptop and don't think windows 7 is 'all it'. Maybe I should just get a Macbook????

  16. #16
    Bike Junkie aadhils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    My Bikes
    Orange Brompton M3L; Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange)
    Posts
    1,585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    Maybe I should just get a Macbook????
    Better to get a Macbook Air. Awesome portability with a great OS.

  17. #17
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    I've been thinking about an Ipad, I have an Iphone, but like the idea of a tablet, quicker, etc..... I'm thinking about just a wifi version, just because I don't want to spend anymore $$$ on data plans, if I really need a 3g network, then I have my Iphone.
    I just use my phone as a wireless access point so there is no need for a SIM in the tablet computer.

  18. #18
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  19. #19
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,994
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aadhils View Post
    Better to get a Macbook Air. Awesome portability with a great OS.
    Correct. I had an iPad. Didn't care for the interface for my needs, I like a traditional laptop. I sold the iPad and accessories I had paid $600 for and got $400+ on eBay. The 13" MacBook Air is halfway between an iPad (small size, light weight) and a traditional laptop. The 11" MacBook Air is even lighter and trimmer. Love the MB Air. I'll be getting a new one pretty soon, I thought the 128 gb HD would suffice for my needs, but I'm bumping up against the ceiling on it, I'll probably have to get a newer unit with the 256 gb flash drive. Waiting for the next generation to come along (hopefully by Jan. 1).

  20. #20
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    How many RIAA & MPAA bots will be looking at this "cloud" to catch any unauthorized copies you might accidentally place there?
    My thoughts exactly.

    With 2TB disks at $60 bucks there's really no need for storing stuff in dah cloud.
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  21. #21
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aadhils View Post
    Better to get a Macbook Air. Awesome portability with a great OS.
    If it runs the software you need. Also, don't forget to carry dongles with you if you need to deliver presentations.

  22. #22
    Senior Member mikeybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Edgewater, CO
    My Bikes
    Tons
    Posts
    2,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banerjek View Post
    If it runs the software you need. Also, don't forget to carry dongles with you if you need to deliver presentations.
    Sadly, we keep getting attorneys from the outside come into one of our conference rooms and ask how to plug their MacBook into our projectors. It isn't our problem you forgot your VGA dongle.

    At the same time, I understand why this is the case. When you're trying to make something as thin as possible, that VGA or DVI port can be quite large.
    My Bikes: 2009 Breezer Uptown EX | 1980 Miyata Six Ten | 1970 Hercules Three-Two-Speed
    Wife's Bike: 2008 Globe City 7

  23. #23
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeybikes View Post
    At the same time, I understand why this is the case. When you're trying to make something as thin as possible, that VGA or DVI port can be quite large.
    When you get as thin as the Air, even an ethernet port is too large. Which is why you need a dongle for that also...

    I can't tell you how often I see people carrying ipads to conferences because of the tiny form factor. But then they bring an external keyboard so they can type resulting in a gizmo the size of a small computer without actually being one. So they bring their Air or Macbook too. By the time you add all the accessories, they're really lugging a lot of crap. Say what you will about Jobs, but he knew how to sell stuff.

  24. #24
    Senior Member surgtech1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR 3W, Giant Rincon, Trek 7100
    Posts
    124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to check out the MacBooks at Best Buy this weekend. The model I'm thinking about is the 13.3" with CD/DVD drive, I think I'd be sorry if I got the 11"/without a drive.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Irving, TX
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    I think I'd be sorry if I got the 11"/without a drive.
    I have 2 laptops, one with a DVD and the other without. I haven't really needed a DVD drive and I've only used the one in the other laptop twice. I bought an external USB DVD drive for my daughter since her laptop doesn't have a DVD drive either. Since I have other computers, if I needed to install something I would just copy it to my laptop through the network or install from a USB flash drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •