Help to buy a car please
based on the beautiful cars thread, there are some knowledgeable posters.
I live in Perth Australia and own a 2002 Mitsubishi Magna sedan with 115,000 km on it. (I bought 2nd hand in 2005 when it had 75,000 km). So I barely use the car ~8,000km per year although I would be interested in using a car a little more to explore the surrounding area.
The car has been great and I always wanted a magna. For some reason I always loved Magnas and BMW. A weird taste I know ha ha.
I know nothing about cars. I am 31 though and single. I am preparing to buy a new car in case the magna has issues plus my new company have offered me a novated lease arrangement. I thought this might be a good time to spoil myself with something fun and sporty. I have never used the rear of the car even the boot so a convertible could work. I am 6"2 and never been in one, although I imagine they are not that comfortable and I doubt I would have the top down much.
I was thinking perhaps instead a sleek sporty 3 door with a sunroof instead. Reliability being the most important part then value for money (purchase price and running costs).
Any recommendations and what should I do to improve my knowledge please?
your view on:
1) buying new vs used? (advantages/disadvantages and your preference)
2) buying private vs dealer? (advantages/disadvantages and your preference)
3) Lease vs buying (advantages/disadvantages and your preference)
4) trusting review sites? How impartial are they?
5) any general sensible rules for how much to spend/how much you can afford? Eg. a percentage of your income?
My budget would be up to 65,000 if necessary. (if the jump from 30,000 to 60,000 was THAT worthwhile?) WHen would it be (i.e how many km driving a year, before you REALLY notice the benefits of the better cars?)