Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-11, 09:29 PM   #1
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb
Thread Starter
 
sknhgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 2,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
How to keep the dog from attacking the cats

We recently adopted a 2 year old pit bull named Mabel. Mabel is very gentle and not at all agressive - unless you are a cat or other small animal. We have two house cats. We're trying to keep Mabel from going after the cats.
Mabel was abandoned last spring. Some friends of ours who live on a farm took her in but didn't want to keep her because she would go after the chickens. Since we brought Mabel here she has dug up and killed some moles in the yard, which is just fine by me.
Whoever abandoned Mabel seems to have house trained her well. She likes to spend time in her cage. That's where we have to keep her when we are away from the house. She's a good dog, and she's never had a accident in the house, and she is very personable and loving. The only problem is with the cats. If we are sitting with her and a cat goes by she will stare at it but she won't go after it if we tell her not to. However, if she is unsupervised and a cat gets in proximity to her she will try to catch it. I'm afraid that she could hurt or kill one of these cats if we didn't intervene.
Anyone know if it's possible to train her to leave the cats alone? I thought about getting a shock collar. Any help would be appreciated.
__________________
more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.
sknhgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 10:06 PM   #2
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
Posts: 12,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
probably should give a bit more time for the dog to get used to the new house and current occupants.
and you need to teach the dog who is higher up on the command.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 10:33 PM   #3
skijor 
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Attach something with your scent and the cats' scent to Mabel's collar. Use odor as a training tool. She'll learn to respect the cats as she does you. Or she'll eat all three of you.
skijor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 10:35 PM   #4
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Seems odd to me.. whenever I've brought a dog home the cat(s) always establish dominance from day 1... minute 1 if they can help it, hope things work out for you though!
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 11:22 PM   #5
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!
 
RubenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
enroll kitty in feline ninjutsu school:

__________________
"Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes
RubenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 05:13 AM   #6
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
We recently adopted a 2 year old pit bull named Mabel. Mabel is very gentle and not at all agressive - unless you are a cat or other small animal. We have two house cats. We're trying to keep Mabel from going after the cats.
Mabel was abandoned last spring. Some friends of ours who live on a farm took her in but didn't want to keep her because she would go after the chickens. Since we brought Mabel here she has dug up and killed some moles in the yard, which is just fine by me.
Whoever abandoned Mabel seems to have house trained her well. She likes to spend time in her cage. That's where we have to keep her when we are away from the house. She's a good dog, and she's never had a accident in the house, and she is very personable and loving. The only problem is with the cats. If we are sitting with her and a cat goes by she will stare at it but she won't go after it if we tell her not to. However, if she is unsupervised and a cat gets in proximity to her she will try to catch it. I'm afraid that she could hurt or kill one of these cats if we didn't intervene.
Anyone know if it's possible to train her to leave the cats alone? I thought about getting a shock collar. Any help would be appreciated.
Problem 1: Cats are just the right size to trigger her prey-hunting/killing reflex.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 08:54 AM   #7
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb
Thread Starter
 
sknhgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 2,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Problem 1: Cats are just the right size to trigger her prey-hunting/killing reflex.
Mabel seems to have a strong hunting instinct. I need to know how to get her to recognize that the cats aren't prey.
__________________
more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.
sknhgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 09:10 AM   #8
ahsposo 
Big Blubbery Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On a floe
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I say let nature take it's course.

A dog's gotta do what a dog's gotta do.

You might be surprised at the outcome. We have a cat that all of the neighborhood dogs are terrified of. They bark at her but keep their distance after their initial encounter with her claws.
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 09:17 AM   #9
stevemtbr
Creamy pack filling
 
stevemtbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Nine Mile Falls, WA
Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Try a shock collar, one that has adjustable settings. Try it at the lowest setting first and work up as needed. When she goes for your cat give him a shock that way she'll know that when she chases the cat it will hurt. We rescued a dog a few months ago and we had that same problem. After a few shocks problem has been solved no more prey induced chasing and they have started to actually play now.
stevemtbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 09:32 AM   #10
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Arm the cats.
dcrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 09:33 AM   #11
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrowell View Post
Arm the cats.
On second thought, maybe not. That could lead to revolution.
dcrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 10:23 AM   #12
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
Mabel seems to have a strong hunting instinct. I need to know how to get her to recognize that the cats aren't prey.
Try a squirt bottle, every time she goes after the cat. That or a rattle can. Both are nonphysical punitive actions that work well without harming the dog. That way, she won't learn that your hand can hurt her, for one thing. They both operate on her startle reflex to stop an action immediately.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 10:28 AM   #13
stevemtbr
Creamy pack filling
 
stevemtbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Nine Mile Falls, WA
Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Try a squirt bottle, every time she goes after the cat. That or a rattle can. Both are nonphysical punitive actions that work well without harming the dog. That way, she won't learn that your hand can hurt her, for one thing. They both operate on her startle reflex to stop an action immediately.
I should of added that we did try the rattle can and squirt bottle. Both didn't work. The rattle can made all the animals think they were in trouble and would all go scurrying.
stevemtbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 10:28 AM   #14
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Try a squirt bottle, every time she goes after the cat. That or a rattle can. Both are nonphysical punitive actions that work well without harming the dog. That way, she won't learn that your hand can hurt her, for one thing. They both operate on her startle reflex to stop an action immediately.
This
Couple it with some treats when she doesn't attack the cat. Positive and negative reinforcement.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 10:32 AM   #15
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
sell the cats, or give them away, since nobody in their right mind would ever buy a cat, new or used.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 10:37 AM   #16
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
sell the cats, or give them away, since nobody in their right mind would ever buy a cat, new or used.
I hear they like them in China.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 10:45 AM   #17
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemtbr View Post
I should of added that we did try the rattle can and squirt bottle. Both didn't work. The rattle can made all the animals think they were in trouble and would all go scurrying.

Are your cats fully armed with all claws? If so, maybe you should let the dog find out the hard way about cat claws. My Aunt's German Shepard/Husky mix, as well as our neighbors Mastiff both fear Annie with a deep, heartfelt respect for her claws.


It's truly funny watching a 200 pound Mastiff slink by our back porch with a watchful eye for a 20 pound cat.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 10:50 AM   #18
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb
Thread Starter
 
sknhgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 2,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I thought about getting a shock collar.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/remote-...l-collar-25876
__________________
more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.
sknhgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 10:53 AM   #19
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb
Thread Starter
 
sknhgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 2,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Are your cats fully armed with all claws? If so, maybe you should let the dog find out the hard way about cat claws. My Aunt's German Shepard/Husky mix, as well as our neighbors Mastiff both fear Annie with a deep, heartfelt respect for her claws.


It's truly funny watching a 200 pound Mastiff slink by our back porch with a watchful eye for a 20 pound cat.
Our cats are both armed with claws. In fact, Sadie left a claw in Mabel's ear one time.
Some dogs will back down from a cat. Some won't. Mabel is nice, but she is very tough. She could easily kill a cat. Her nickname at the farm was Hercules.
__________________
more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.
sknhgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 10:55 AM   #20
bikebuddha 
Senior Member
 
bikebuddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Somewhere in time
Bikes:
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Problem 1: Cats are just the right size to trigger her prey-hunting/killing reflex.
Right my dog is fine with my daughter's cat, until the cat starts running around. Then dog goes into hunt mode and chaos erupts.
__________________
The few, the proud, the likely insane, Metro-Atlanta bicycle commuters.
bikebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 10:56 AM   #21
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I have two dogs over 150lbs and one dog that is 65lbs. How I did it was to sit on the couch with the cat in my arms and the dog next to me. I would hold the cat in my left arm and pet the dog near the collar with my right dominant hand. I'd slowly bring the cat closer as the dog would sniff the cat. Any kind of jumpy action on the dog would quickly be resolved by my hand on the collar. Of course the cat would swat but the dog would still be still be restrained with a firm "NO". I did this for about three days, for about 45 mins each time, about three times a day. Now they share a water bowl. And the dogs are afraid of the three cats.

Here's one of the cats right before he stole the bone from my 65lb coyote/lab mix.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 10:59 AM   #22
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
I have two dogs over 150lbs and one dog that is 65lbs. How I did it was to sit on the couch with the cat in my arms and the dog next to me. I would hold the cat in my left arm and pet the dog near the collar with my right dominant hand. I'd slowly bring the cat closer as the dog would sniff the cat. Any kind of jumpy action on the dog would quickly be resolved by my hand on the collar. Of course the cat would swat but the dog would still be still be restrained with a firm "NO". I did this for about three days, for about 45 mins each time, about three times a day. Now they share a water bowl. And the dogs are afraid of the three cats.

Here's one of the cats right before he stole the bone from my 65lb coyote/lab mix.

So...you purposely invited evil into your house and exposed the lovely dogs to it.
nice.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 11:03 AM   #23
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Bikes:
Posts: 7,486
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Time to replace the cats' bacon-collars.
HardyWeinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 11:52 AM   #24
spry
location:northern Ohio
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keep the cats safe in sealed tupperware till you get home.
spry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 12:21 PM   #25
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skijor View Post
Attach something with your scent and the cats' scent to Mabel's collar. Use odor as a training tool. She'll learn to respect the cats as she does you. Or she'll eat all three of you.
I like this one. I've never had the problem of Dogs and cats not getting along. Which is a bit strange as at one point I had ot bring a friend's dog home from college, a dog that chased cats and we had a cat that took on and terrified 2 weimaraners. They got on just fine from day one (Somewhere I even have a photo of that dog, that cat and Ismael the squirel I rescued getting along fine).

Wheatley got on fine with cats and rats, which is strange as he had been on the street and to this day goes balistic at the sight of a squirel.

The only thing that makes any sense to me is that dogs react a lot based on the pack, and they accept other species into the pack. Once in the pack an animal is not just safe, but is to be defended.

I think scent is a good start, if the cat smells right yuo are half way there.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 AM.