Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-11, 05:50 PM   #1
Motman320
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone into guns?

Ever used classified ads? Curious if this place is safe...

www.Armslist.com - Gun Classifieds

Last edited by Motman320; 12-03-11 at 11:34 PM.
Motman320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 06:13 PM   #2
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
And you want me to click on that??
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 06:17 PM   #3
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!
 
RubenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Afaik, when you order gunz online they have to be shipped to a gun shop who will give it to you (state laws permit). I looked into it but decided not to own a firearm (kiddos). You might wanna wait for opinions of the local gun lovers (probably debating gun laws in P&R as usual).

...and if u like machingunz and stuff go and check dimitri's videos overheah
__________________
"Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

Last edited by RubenX; 12-02-11 at 06:20 PM.
RubenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 06:25 PM   #4
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Without even clicking on Ruben's link I already know that Dimitris videos will make your jaw drop.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 07:23 PM   #5
shawmutt
Senior Member
 
shawmutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Greencastle, PA
Bikes: 2010 Jamis Aurora, 2005 Trek 7500
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I buy strictly local, gunshows, local ads, my sportsman club, etc.
shawmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 07:34 PM   #6
lodi781
was kung-fu fighting
 
lodi781's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut
Bikes: '00 schwinn moab disk/06 specialized stumpy fsr expert, 06 look565
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always buy face to face. Never online..simply to keep my local shops in buisness...
lodi781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 09:52 AM   #7
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Snohomish County, Washington USA
Bikes: Road, mountain and folding
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
Afaik, when you order gunz online they have to be shipped to a gun shop who will give it to you (state laws permit). I looked into it but decided not to own a firearm (kiddos). You might wanna wait for opinions of the local gun lovers (probably debating gun laws in P&R as usual).
Private party sales, as you typically see on Armslist and other firearms-specific classifieds, are generally not regulated by the Federal Government. There may be state requirements that must be met, however. If you are buying a gun from a dealer on the Internet, then all Federal transfer laws apply. The gun has to be shipped from the dealer directly to a local FFL holder who will then do the paperwork and charge a fee to transfer the gun to you. The advantage of this approach is that in some cases, you can more easily find firearms that are not typically carried in your local shops, and there may be a cost savings in Internet purchases even with the transfer fee.
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 01:25 PM   #8
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I buy face to face only, whether from a dealer or private sale. That way, I can examine the item before I pay money on it and make sure it's as represented.

Oh, and jdon, your post got moved to it's own thread in Trollheim.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 01:31 PM   #9
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't need no steeenkin' firearm. I use a blowgun. Much quieter.
dcrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 01:43 PM   #10
Jumpa
Member
 
Jumpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cape Cod
Bikes: many
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi781 View Post
I always buy face to face. Never online..simply to keep my local shops in buisness...
I second this however there are some sweet deals online go to S.O.G online cheap prices AK47's for $200 dollars
Tokarev's 7.62x25 Cal. 2 clips with nice leather holster for $189 bucks you just cant beat that
Jumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 06:59 PM   #11
waynesworld
Papaya King
 
waynesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio (Grandview area)
Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've bought from CDNN and from Gun Broker. Both worked out well. The first site sells new and used firearms, often buying 'last of' lots and such, usually at a good discount. The latter site is an auction site where dealers and private individuals may post. My one Gunbroker transaction was from a gun shop in Kentucky (Glock 27, new). The CDNN purchase was a new Walther P99 in .40 cal. I think that is all I've bought online. I've never used Armslist.
waynesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 07:57 PM   #12
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Snohomish County, Washington USA
Bikes: Road, mountain and folding
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
One of the leading Internet dealers is Bud's Gun Shop (www.budsgunshop.com). The problem may be trying to find a local FFL who will do the transfer at a reasonable fee. In this area, transfer fees of $ 40-50 for a handgun are common, and the state sales tax on top of that can pretty much negate the savings of an Internet dealer.
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 08:26 PM   #13
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
I buy face to face only, whether from a dealer or private sale. That way, I can examine the item before I pay money on it and make sure it's as represented.

Oh, and jdon, your post got moved to it's own thread in Trollheim.
I don't go there nor do I have access, so let me know how it turns out!
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 10:34 PM   #14
waynesworld
Papaya King
 
waynesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio (Grandview area)
Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreek View Post
One of the leading Internet dealers is Bud's Gun Shop (www.budsgunshop.com). The problem may be trying to find a local FFL who will do the transfer at a reasonable fee. In this area, transfer fees of $ 40-50 for a handgun are common, and the state sales tax on top of that can pretty much negate the savings of an Internet dealer.
I had a difficult time with this too until I found that CDNN has a list of local FFLs that are reasonable.
waynesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 11:33 PM   #15
Motman320
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well it is local, I was just curious what the chances are of buying some stolen gun or something like that...

I understand there's a website, GunBroker, which is pretty much EBay for guns and as far as I know that's pretty popular too.

But yea thanks for the advice guys.
Motman320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 12:49 AM   #16
waynesworld
Papaya King
 
waynesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio (Grandview area)
Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motman320 View Post
Well it is local, I was just curious what the chances are of buying some stolen gun or something like that...

I understand there's a website, GunBroker, which is pretty much EBay for guns and as far as I know that's pretty popular too.

But yea thanks for the advice guys.
I guess you never know. Even with a local purchase, you can go to an FFL and pay for a legit transfer.
waynesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 01:14 AM   #17
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpa View Post
I second this however there are some sweet deals online go to S.O.G online cheap prices AK47's for $200 dollars
Wellllll heck! I know just what grandma's getting for xmas this year!
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 02:22 PM   #18
spry
location:northern Ohio
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sure wish I could find a new mainspring for my Krupp grenade launcher before deer season.
spry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 04:03 PM   #19
waldowales
Old Fogy
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Murray, Utah
Bikes:
Posts: 1,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which model Krupp is it? I'll check my spare parts bin for you.
waldowales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 05:02 PM   #20
ahsposo 
Big Blubbery Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On a floe
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
...and if u like machingunz and stuff go and check dimitri's videos overheah
Whoa! Now that is what I call a street-sweeper!
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 06:29 PM   #21
LAriverRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Downey, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To bad here in the peoples republic of Kalifornia the street sweeper was banned. After the Rodney King riots that was a hot seller along with home defence shot guns. I remember ads for the sweeper. I buy local, order ammo out of state, although Ammo brothers and lax shooting range have had soom killer sales lately. I have all my distances covered, from the Machete to the bolt action out to 1000 yards. Shoot well, shoot often. Yesterday took out a gopher with a head shot at 24 feet with my Big Cat 1200 pellet rifle, just his head was sticking out, now maybe my front lawn wont look like it was hit with mortars.

Last edited by LAriverRat; 12-05-11 at 06:34 PM. Reason: added info
LAriverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 06:47 PM   #22
trackhub
Senior Member
 
trackhub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Watching all of you on O.B.I.T.
Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog
Posts: 2,039
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAriverRat View Post
To bad here in the peoples republic of Kalifornia the street sweeper was banned. After the Rodney King riots that was a hot seller along with home defence shot guns. I remember ads for the sweeper. I buy local, order ammo out of state, although Ammo brothers and lax shooting range have had soom killer sales lately. I have all my distances covered, from the Machete to the bolt action out to 1000 yards. Shoot well, shoot often. Yesterday took out a gopher with a head shot at 24 feet with my Big Cat 1200 pellet rifle, just his head was sticking out, now maybe my front lawn wont look like it was hit with mortars.
I loved informal target shooting some years back, but Massachusetts has made it all but impossible to enjoy it any longer. I would buy from local dealers, face to face. Not that there are many local dealers left here.....
trackhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 08:19 PM   #23
waynesworld
Papaya King
 
waynesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio (Grandview area)
Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAriverRat View Post
... Yesterday took out a gopher with a head shot at 24 feet with my Big Cat 1200 pellet rifle, just his head was sticking out, ...
"Eight, maybe ten guys in the world could have made that shot. It's the only thing I was ever good at."
waynesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 08:50 PM   #24
LAriverRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Downey, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesworld View Post
"Eight, maybe ten guys in the world could have made that shot. It's the only thing I was ever good at."
I did it from a standing position, one shot, no warm up, 3rd gopher i have hit like that, first one i hit right behind the ear. Perfect practice makes perfect shots. Lots of people could make that shot. With a spinger like i have its hard, but once you put in the time to find the pellet your air rifle likes and zero in the scope its just a matter of technique. Aim small, miss small.
LAriverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 09:45 PM   #25
waynesworld
Papaya King
 
waynesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio (Grandview area)
Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAriverRat View Post
I did it from a standing position, one shot, no warm up, 3rd gopher i have hit like that, first one i hit right behind the ear. Perfect practice makes perfect shots. Lots of people could make that shot. With a spinger like i have its hard, but once you put in the time to find the pellet your air rifle likes and zero in the scope its just a matter of technique. Aim small, miss small.
It's a Martin Riggs quote from Lethal Weapon.
waynesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:26 PM.