Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    Godbotherer dwellman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hermitage, TN
    My Bikes
    1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)
    Posts
    1,318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    bought a used subaru OB. . .

    Is there enough owner knowledge here or do I need to keep trying elsewhere? Subaruoutback.org forums so far less than. . . responsive. good stuff historically just no . . . interaction as it were.

    I am not a car guy at all. Maybe I'm too n00b for them
    "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize"
    "So I do not run like someone who doesn't run toward the finish line. I do not fight like a boxer who hits nothing but air."
    "And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us."
    "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

  2. #2
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Caad4, Schwinn moab
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Lesbaru

  3. #3
    Sore saddle cyclist Shifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Posts
    3,760
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had four Subies, loads of them sold in the west, sorry most owners are NOT lesbians out here, must be a midwest thing.

    The best forums to search for Subaru info is on ski forums, those folks have seen it all and love to help other owners.

    They are great cars, fantastic snowmobiles. What year and model did you get?

    Good choice, tell us more.
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

  4. #4
    Northern Rider nondes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Bikes
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just replaced our 2001 Forester with a 2010. I like the flat four engine and it seems very stable. Still like the new one but it's bigger, less like a car and more like a SUV. The 2001 was big enough for us. Good job the old snow tires fit the new one, but a new roofrack will be expensive.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I herd they are a lesbian car too that why I drive beetle covetable and you should hear what I have been told about that. I hear the Miata has a similar reputation
    Hybrid) Trek FX 7.2
    Road bike) Specialized Secteur Elite
    Mountain bike) Marin Bobcat trail
    Founding member of the Hybrid Forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have thoughts
    Charlie

  6. #6
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris..... View Post
    A Lesbaru
    So this is how a Subaru rolls?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  7. #7
    Senior Member trackhub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Posts
    1,909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris..... View Post
    A Lesbaru
    Only if you are in Northhampton, MA
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

  8. #8
    babylon by bike Standalone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Haven, CT, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.
    Posts
    2,764
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My '87 GL Wagon was the greatest thing ever. Except maybe for my rusty trusty previa.
    The flat 4 engine keeps the weight so low that the car handles really kind of nicely for what it is.
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. Christopher Morley

  9. #9
    Let your bike be the tool cranky old road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NC/SC border
    My Bikes
    '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '96 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX
    Posts
    818
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our '91 Postal Legacy has 270,000 miles on it. The '97 has 380,000. I've done all of the work on them since they came out of warranty.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing...

  10. #10
    Caustic Soccer Mom apclassic9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Millstone WV
    Posts
    1,759
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP - pay attention to changing the oil & keeping its fluids at proper levels; there's a subaru additive that supposedly keeps the head gaskets from leaking (oh, what an expensive fix THAT was!). If the roads in TN are anything like the ones in WV, you might keep an eye (or ear) on the front axles. My last outback (2000) had 357,000 miles on it when my son missed a deer & hit a tree... a friend's son has it now & claims that - for $500 - it's the best subie in the state! Ignore the check engine light - there's an O2 sensor that just doesn't like regular gas.
    As with mud, life, too, slides by.

  11. #11
    Godbotherer dwellman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hermitage, TN
    My Bikes
    1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)
    Posts
    1,318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life Story Dept.

    Yeah, so I've been digging around for the last year or so wanted a nice AWD vehicle. . . looked at. . everything OTHER than an OB but found things that. . weren't quite right (either too much [Pilot], too fuel inefficient [4runner], or too small or otherwise crappy[Rav4, Highlander, Endeavor])

    Really came to a head after I was left with a partially wrecked 1998 Prism in the. . seperation

    Wait I briefly considered an XC70, but it's AWD is SO meh. Also there was a reeeaaalllyyy nice A4 Quattro for about the same, but I decided: no turbos, thank you (see below).

    So really that left the Subaru. I like the wagon. It looks nice. Has a fairly good reputation for longevity. . . problem was finding one for sale. I've actually been looking for a year. Lots of Gen 2s with 180k+ miles for less than 5000, but I think I'd really want a 2005 or newer. Played with the idea of an XT (go fast) but I was gently nudged to forget about a used one unless I KNEW it was properly maintained and all or I could pretty much expect to be replacing the turbo. . just. . about. . . now. "Unless your towing", I was told, "or driving up many steep inclines in the high altitudes, there's no reason for an XT." Let alone it eats 91 octane. . .

    Thought I found one in Knox for under 8. . even had Thule 517 racks on top (although I like Yakima better). . 130,000 miles or so, but I've never seen a Gen3 for less than 11,000 in TN. . . After me calling every other day to check on the status, they ended up "mistakenly" selling it to someone else thinking it was me (or someone working with me) but it wasn't. . but it worked out because one popped up on CL for $200 more but with 20K less miles and a Limited trim to boot, so I drove to Nashville (112 miles) last Thurs (12/15) cashiers check and drove off-- - after checking for gasket leaks (largely fixed in the 05 and newer, anyway), rear diff shudder/torque bind.

    The previous owners didn't do as much regular maintenance as I'd like (longish intervals), but they appear to have kept all the receipts-- such as: It had trans and rear diff service at the dealer at 98k miles. Hey. That's a relief, really.

    I have no reason to believe it's had any of the 100,000 miles and beyond services so I went ahead and had the timing belt changed (along with all the other service things, like oil change). . . CV joints and boots look good, rear diff is still good. Rear brake pads are just about gone, I was told, but I spent all on the timing belt and oil, so nothing left for brakes. . . they want $230 for it. That's too much.
    "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize"
    "So I do not run like someone who doesn't run toward the finish line. I do not fight like a boxer who hits nothing but air."
    "And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us."
    "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

  12. #12
    The Rock Cycle eofelis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Western Colorado
    My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2
    Posts
    1,646
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 01 OB wagon. Bought it 4 years ago for $4600 with 110k on it. A real steal. The crackly paint job made it cheap. I now have 135k on it. (Ride bike mostly.) Plan on driving it til it won't go no more.

    It is my third Subaru. My previous ones were both 1991 Legacy wagons (one after the other). Great cars. My last one was 17 years old, 165k, when I sold it, still running well.
    Gunnar Sport
    Specialized Ruby
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX
    Jamis Dragon

  13. #13
    Senior Member mikeybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Edgewater, CO
    My Bikes
    Tons
    Posts
    3,025
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ultimatesubaru.org for all of your Subaru forum needs.
    My Bikes: 2009 Breezer Uptown EX | 1980 Miyata 610 | 1970 Hercules | 198? Miele ?
    Wife's Bike: 2008 Globe City 7

  14. #14
    Fat Guy Rolling dcrowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Louisville Kentucky
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
    Posts
    2,439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've owned two Subarus (Subarii?) over the years. I've never been known as a lesbian, although I do like *****.
    Car-Free IT Geek
    My blog: fatguy.org

    Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, 1980s Raleigh Record single-speed conversion, Bacchetta Agio

  15. #15
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,084
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Just PM Ruben with any car maintenance questions and then do the exact opposite of what he advises and you are golden.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris..... View Post
    A Lesbaru
    Yes, it's a Midwestern thing, except around these parts it's specifically the Forester that is the lesbianmobile. Not really a generalization, either, as literally every Forester owner I know personally is actually a lesbian...it's a small sample, but it's 7 out of 7. And every Forester I see on the highway has a rainbow decal on the bumper. So that's 100% in my tiny world.

  17. #17
    Senior Member noise boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Baltimore
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwellman View Post
    Life Story Dept.

    Yeah, so I've been digging around for the last year or so wanted a nice AWD vehicle. . . looked at. . everything OTHER than an OB but found things that. . weren't quite right (either too much [Pilot], too fuel inefficient [4runner], or too small or otherwise crappy[Rav4, Highlander, Endeavor])

    Really came to a head after I was left with a partially wrecked 1998 Prism in the. . seperation

    Wait I briefly considered an XC70, but it's AWD is SO meh. Also there was a reeeaaalllyyy nice A4 Quattro for about the same, but I decided: no turbos, thank you (see below).

    So really that left the Subaru. I like the wagon. It looks nice. Has a fairly good reputation for longevity. . . problem was finding one for sale. I've actually been looking for a year. Lots of Gen 2s with 180k+ miles for less than 5000, but I think I'd really want a 2005 or newer. Played with the idea of an XT (go fast) but I was gently nudged to forget about a used one unless I KNEW it was properly maintained and all or I could pretty much expect to be replacing the turbo. . just. . about. . . now. "Unless your towing", I was told, "or driving up many steep inclines in the high altitudes, there's no reason for an XT." Let alone it eats 91 octane. . .

    Thought I found one in Knox for under 8. . even had Thule 517 racks on top (although I like Yakima better). . 130,000 miles or so, but I've never seen a Gen3 for less than 11,000 in TN. . . After me calling every other day to check on the status, they ended up "mistakenly" selling it to someone else thinking it was me (or someone working with me) but it wasn't. . but it worked out because one popped up on CL for $200 more but with 20K less miles and a Limited trim to boot, so I drove to Nashville (112 miles) last Thurs (12/15) cashiers check and drove off-- - after checking for gasket leaks (largely fixed in the 05 and newer, anyway), rear diff shudder/torque bind.

    The previous owners didn't do as much regular maintenance as I'd like (longish intervals), but they appear to have kept all the receipts-- such as: It had trans and rear diff service at the dealer at 98k miles. Hey. That's a relief, really.

    I have no reason to believe it's had any of the 100,000 miles and beyond services so I went ahead and had the timing belt changed (along with all the other service things, like oil change). . . CV joints and boots look good, rear diff is still good. Rear brake pads are just about gone, I was told, but I spent all on the timing belt and oil, so nothing left for brakes. . . they want $230 for it. That's too much.
    Rear pads is an easy deal to do yourself, you should be able to get pads at autozone for $40.00 or less. Even for a noob it's not a tough project. I would also look at www.nasioc.com for info, I believe that your outback is an impreza under the skin, but even if not, the brakes are probably about the same. There are lots of good writeups in the forum there.

  18. #18
    Godbotherer dwellman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hermitage, TN
    My Bikes
    1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)
    Posts
    1,318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An Outback Sport is an Imprezza wagon with. . . larger tires. Forrester is also built on the Iprezza platform.

    An Outback is a Subaru Legacy Wagon with better suspension, slightly beefier trans. . . different engine options. Kind of like Tacoma vs 4Runner

    Oh, the Baja was also a Legacy. . Gen2 Outback, basically.
    "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize"
    "So I do not run like someone who doesn't run toward the finish line. I do not fight like a boxer who hits nothing but air."
    "And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us."
    "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

  19. #19
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,084
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I wanted a Brat back in the day.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  20. #20
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwellman View Post
    An Outback Sport is an Imprezza wagon with. . . larger tires. Forrester is also built on the Iprezza platform.

    An Outback is a Subaru Legacy Wagon with better suspension, slightly beefier trans. . . different engine options. Kind of like Tacoma vs 4Runner

    Oh, the Baja was also a Legacy. . Gen2 Outback, basically.
    has subaru ever changed their imprezza platform since 1992?
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  21. #21
    Senior Member noise boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Baltimore
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    has subaru ever changed their imprezza platform since 1992?
    1999, and 2008 were complete re-designs.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Captain Blight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    My Bikes
    -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course
    Posts
    2,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    I wanted a Brat back in the day.
    I've had two. They weren't terribly good cars, but then, I also bought them well used.

    I wish they'd bring back the Loyale wagon. I had two of those, as well. Kind of tinny, but comfortable, reliable, and easy (30ish MPG) on gas.

    Best truck I've ever had was my '52 Dodge M37. Flathead-6, 5:63 diffs, 4-speed trans with hi-lo, fold-up top and roll-down windows. As simple as it gets.
    '71 Raleigh Super Course ("Loose Change")
    '74 Raleigh Professional
    '7? VeloSolex L'Etoile rando build ("Chocolate Star")
    '77 Peugeot UE/O-8/10/9 mongrel
    '81 Trek 616
    '87 Trek 560 Pro Series
    '88 Schwinn Impact ("Burning Chrome")
    '92 Specialized Allez Comp
    '08 Specialized Crossroads winterbike ("Icicle the Bicycle")

  23. #23
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apclassic9 View Post
    OP - pay attention to changing the oil & keeping its fluids at proper levels; there's a subaru additive that supposedly keeps the head gaskets from leaking (oh, what an expensive fix THAT was!). If the roads in TN are anything like the ones in WV, you might keep an eye (or ear) on the front axles. My last outback (2000) had 357,000 miles on it when my son missed a deer & hit a tree... a friend's son has it now & claims that - for $500 - it's the best subie in the state! Ignore the check engine light - there's an O2 sensor that just doesn't like regular gas.
    The smart West-By-God natives keep alternating bigger tires on the front or back so you always ride level in and out of the holler.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  24. #24
    Senior Member trackhub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Posts
    1,909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    I wanted a Brat back in the day.
    I really liked the Baja, and almost bought one. Went with my Legacy GT instead.
    I thought the Baja had big sales written all over it, but they didn't sell nearly as many
    as they predicted, and they stopped producing them. Strange, because I know two dudes that own them, and they love them, even thought the pickup bed is not really
    big enough for more than a few odds and ends.

    They should consider bringing back the Subaru XT series. Those were pretty cool.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

  25. #25
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,742
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do a web search entitled: typical problems with Suburu and you will turn up some interesting things. The car is very reliable up to right around 140,000 miles give or take 40,000 miles when the head gasket blows. When I did the search some time ago a lot of pre 2002 models were showing, but then I realized most people don't have that many miles on newer cars; but the I did find a few and they too had the same problem. But that head gasket problem seems to be the only constant with the car. Obviously repairing a head gasket will be expensive by itself, but if it fries the engine the process then you got a pile of junk.

    Personally I wouldn't buy one, but then again I hate newer cars, so I'm not a good person to telling you not to get one.

    There are a lot of cars that have seen 350,000 plus miles not just a Sub, and some of those cars would leave you scratching your head because the car was junk when new! So just because someone says they got 350,000 miles on any car is not a true indicator of reality. Some cars are very expensive to work on like the smaller car companies such as Mazda. My daughter had a 97 Ford Probe and 3 years ago she was driving it in below 0 temps and the transmission froze up. We towed it into a independent garage only to find out the internal parts were made of plastic and the temp shattered a plastic part that then blew the trany. The cost to rebuild was $3,500 with no guarantee! And that price was the lowest price I got, but only 2 places where I live would even bother to rebuild it, the other 10 places or so that I called didn't want the job at all! So I junked the car and gave her our 2001 van since we no longer needed a van anymore and she did. I'm telling you all of this so you will check the internet before you buy a certain model car to find out what problems they have and how much do repairs cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •