Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-12, 12:30 PM   #1
SonataInFSharp
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Laptop Speakers Un-muting Themselves

This isn't a huge deal, but it's driving me crazy, especially since I use my laptop remotely from work and my wife gets upset that she can hear it making funny sounds when she is home.

I used to mute my laptop speakers, and they would stay muted, period--if I rebooted, logged out, logged in, locked it--the speakers stayed muted until I intentionally un-muted them.

Well, I changed the start-up and logon sounds to "none" in the sound control panel.

Now, whenever I reboot, log out, log in, or lock the laptop, the speakers un-mute themselves. I then forget to check the speakers each time and it starts making other system sounds (which I have not set to "none").

Is this a bug in Windows 7 regarding setting certain sounds to "none", or what could be going on here?

If I change the sounds from "none" to something else, then my speakers no longer un-mute themselves.



Any ideas about my issue or how easily this thread could derail?
SonataInFSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 12:48 PM   #2
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hey, it is W7, anything could happen.

If you are using RDP, you also have the option to play sound at the your end of the connection instead of the other end.

Or log in remotely, play the first track to Powaqqatsi by Philip Glass, and see what your wife does then.

__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 01:14 PM   #3
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!
 
RubenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
a 1/4 audio adapter will solve your problem, muting the speakers mechanically:



Plug it on the headphone jack and problem solved.
__________________
"Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes
RubenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 01:21 PM   #4
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,598
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
a 1/4 audio adapter will solve your problem, muting the speakers mechanically:



Plug it on the headphone jack and problem solved.
I like that solution. My laptop goes through cycles where the volume utility isn't accessible unless I hunt through the options (and even then it's hard to get to) but other times it's right there in the systems tray. Drives me batty, but nothing worse at work than a going to a site with an embedded video that kicks on super loud out of nowhere and everyone knows you're surfing espn.com when you're supposed to be working.
himespau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 03:25 PM   #5
SonataInFSharp
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Funny you mention the plug, as I used to do that for some other equipment in the past. I may just have to go that route. :-|
SonataInFSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 04:01 PM   #6
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you go the plug route, be careful as that can cause hearing loss. All those decibels get stored up in there when you do not have speakers or headphones plugged in. Then, you plug in some headphones and 1.3 gigawatts of stored decibels comes flooding out, your head explodes from the sonic impact all because you could not handle some auto unmuting laptop speakers. You have been warned.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 04:17 PM   #7
skijor 
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
If you go the plug route, be careful as that can cause hearing loss. All those decibels get stored up in there when you do not have speakers or headphones plugged in. Then, you plug in some headphones and 1.3 gigawatts of stored decibels comes flooding out, your head explodes from the sonic impact all because you could not handle some auto unmuting laptop speakers. You have been warned.
Good thinking 007.
skijor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 04:48 PM   #8
SPlKE 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataInFSharp View Post
This isn't a huge deal, but it's driving me crazy, especially since I use my laptop remotely from work and my wife gets upset that she can hear it making funny sounds when she is home.

I used to mute my laptop speakers, and they would stay muted, period--if I rebooted, logged out, logged in, locked it--the speakers stayed muted until I intentionally un-muted them.

Well, I changed the start-up and logon sounds to "none" in the sound control panel.

Now, whenever I reboot, log out, log in, or lock the laptop, the speakers un-mute themselves. I then forget to check the speakers each time and it starts making other system sounds (which I have not set to "none").

Is this a bug in Windows 7 regarding setting certain sounds to "none", or what could be going on here?

If I change the sounds from "none" to something else, then my speakers no longer un-mute themselves.



Any ideas about my issue or how easily this thread could derail?
You may need to disable the "beep" device in device manager.

Even with sounds turned off, and set to none, the beep device make various system beeps and boops. It's very old school.
SPlKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 05:05 PM   #9
mikeybikes
Senior Member
 
mikeybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edgewater, CO
Bikes: Tons
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataInFSharp View Post
Looks like a good solution to me.
mikeybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 05:08 PM   #10
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!
 
RubenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Or you can deploy drastic measures like open it up and yank the speakers out.
__________________
"Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes
RubenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 09:29 AM   #11
SonataInFSharp
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
If you go the plug route, be careful as that can cause hearing loss. All those decibels get stored up in there when you do not have speakers or headphones plugged in. Then, you plug in some headphones and 1.3 gigawatts of stored decibels comes flooding out, your head explodes from the sonic impact all because you could not handle some auto unmuting laptop speakers. You have been warned.
Er, um, remember that I asked the question, not my wife.
SonataInFSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 09:39 AM   #12
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataInFSharp View Post
Er, um, remember that I asked the question, not my wife.
Either way, you are going to end up with no head if you are not careful.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 10:07 AM   #13
SPlKE 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
Or you can deploy drastic measures like open it up and yank the speakers out.
An icepick works well too -- jammed in your speakers, or into your ears.
SPlKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 11:27 AM   #14
nymtber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY state
Bikes: See Signature...
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bring laptop here. We will load my 12ga with buckshot and after we blow it to bits, you can go buy a desktop and not plug in speakers. Problem solved, you never NEEDED a laptop anyway. The market just made you think you did!

-Desktop user for life.
nymtber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:41 PM.