Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Banned. folder fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anti Social Media-Land
    Posts
    3,078
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    12 Times That Being Cheap Will Cost You

    ".....Everyone loves a good deal, but going cheap at the expense of your health, home or sanity is just plain stupid....." -http://www.businessinsider.com/12-times-that-being-cheap-will-cost-you-2012-2#ixzz1mz23hDHy

    Later Edit: I would add to the mix avoid purchasing those cheap Chinese junk bikes-even from an reputable bike shop. I sold off both those miserable troublesome Dahons that were nothing but headaches all the time I owned them.
    Last edited by folder fanatic; 02-20-12 at 08:36 PM.

  2. #2
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,906
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    13) Trying to rip off a contractor by being cheap at the outset.

    Do you think we don't have "A-hole" prices for folks like you that offset the "normal" prices for dealing with more reasonable folks?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  3. #3
    Banned. folder fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anti Social Media-Land
    Posts
    3,078
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about that. My CA licensed plumber is always paid his-at present wages, 76 dollars an hour-when he or his brothers work on our plumbing. They have been working for us for over 30 years. I don't call anyone to work on the house, be it a simple handyman to a full fledged contractor, unless I intend to pay him/her the agreed upon payment in full-unless I cannot sign off on the job's work order for a very good reason.
    Last edited by folder fanatic; 02-20-12 at 10:10 PM.

  4. #4
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,906
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by folder fanatic View Post
    I don't know about that. My CA licensed plumber is always paid his-at present wages, 76 dollars an hour-when he or his brothers work on our plumbing. They have been working for us for over 30 years. I don't call anyone to work on the house, be it a simple handyman to a full fledged contractor, unless I intend to pay him/her the agreed upon payment in full-unless I cannot sign off on the job's work order for a very good reason.
    It sounds like you get the "normal" price.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  5. #5
    on by skijor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
    Posts
    903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    13) Trying to rip off a contractor by being cheap at the outset.

    Do you think we don't have "A-hole" prices for folks like you that offset the "normal" prices for dealing with more reasonable folks?
    But--but he said he was "sorry" [sniff]

  6. #6
    Fat Guy Rolling dcrowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Louisville Kentucky
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
    Posts
    2,439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by folder fanatic View Post
    I would add to the mix avoid purchasing those cheap Chinese junk bikes-even from an reputable bike shop. I sold off both those miserable troublesome Dahons that were nothing but headaches all the time I owned them.
    I realize this is Foo, and this is a bicycling sidenote, but I thought Dahon made reasonably good stuff. That said, my Dahon has a shifting issue that nobody can seem to fix, but I thought it was just me.

    Tell me more!
    Car-Free IT Geek
    My blog: fatguy.org

    Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, 1980s Raleigh Record single-speed conversion, Bacchetta Agio

  7. #7
    Potential Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In my Crib
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    7,013
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like my Dahon Boardwalk. Of course I don't ask much from it and I did have to upgrade the saddle and seatpost. But I have gotten my money out of that little bike.
    You can further the brotherhood of man by eliminating class.
    You can lift the wage earner up by equalizing earnings.
    You can bring about prosperity by overturning the holders of power.
    You can strengthen the weak by eating the the strong.
    You can help the poor by destroying the rich.

  8. #8
    BF Risk Manager
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Snohomish County, Washington USA
    My Bikes
    Road, mountain and folding
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2008 Dahon Mu XL has been a thing of beauty.
    Regards, MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

  9. #9
    gouch pad bones_mcbones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Winnipeg
    My Bikes
    2008 Giant Bowery, 1212 Supercycle Winter fixie beater
    Posts
    2,959
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    #5 is a lie.

    Edit: and 6

    EDIT2: insurance is also a joke. No rich man follows this article.

    EDIT3: correction 6 is good.
    ****tinginbuckets.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •