Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Do you cut your own hair? (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/802515-do-you-cut-your-own-hair.html)

skijor 03-04-12 02:45 PM

Do you cut your own hair?
 
Shaving your head doesn't count. That's just punting. (no offense)

I buzzed my sides and back fine. But how do you thin out the top and cut the front without looking lobsided...and having to do the walk of shame into the barber to get it fixed? I could leave it as is but it could stand a little off the top.

ahsposo 03-04-12 02:48 PM

Flowbee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowbee

Artkansas 03-04-12 03:43 PM

Since I prefer a buzzcut, I see no reason to pay someone else. It's too easy. I will have a pro do a touch up if I have something like an interview.

no1mad 03-04-12 04:08 PM

I've tried unsuccessfully to cut my own using a #2 on the sides and back and a #4 up top. Now I just go with the #4 all over.

himespau 03-04-12 04:20 PM

I have an electric trimmer, but the numbers don't line up with the guards at the barber shop. I do #4 on the lower sides blending up to a #6 near the top of the sides blending into #8 on the top. On a barber's trimmer, that's more like a 2-3 on the sides, but it works.

skijor 03-04-12 05:06 PM

Thanks. I'll try a #7 or 8 and see how it looks, then maybe bump down to a #6 or 5. I shoulda done a before and after pic.

FTR, I'm using my dog clippers (they sure cost enough)...just so I don't end up looking like my labradoodle :twitchy:

rubic 03-04-12 05:12 PM

Ha!! Just last month my daughter passed her licensing test and is now a cosmetologist. She cuts my hair. Now keep in mind that as a 63 year old man, I have very little hair to cut anymore. Once she gets married and moves away, I'll just buzz cut it myself. (!) Of course my simple solution cannot compete with my wife's, who must shortly find a hair stylist other than my daughter, and pay the resultant big bucks. OY!

waynesworld 03-04-12 05:27 PM

I shave my head. Before that, I used Oster clippers with blades that cut to 0.2mm. I still do sometimes.

Before that, I sometimes cut my hair using clippers, just longer. The hardest part is the back. How did you manage to do the back, yet have trouble with the front and top?

skijor 03-04-12 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynesworld (Post 13930933)
I shave my head. Before that, I used Oster clippers with blades that cut to 0.2mm. I still do sometimes.

Before that, I sometimes cut my hair using clippers, just longer. The hardest part is the back. How did you manage to do the back, yet have trouble with the front and top?

My intention was to cut the top and front with scissors...maybe get some thinning shears. Snapping on a preset length attachment is easy. I've been trimming my neck in between haircuts for years so using two mirrors to get the back decent was also easy. I'm also using an Oster (an A5). I used a #8 on top but would rather have enough left in the right amounts to part. A #8 (1") is too short for that. I'll use the longest one (a #10, 1-1/2") next time.

waynesworld 03-04-12 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skijor (Post 13931085)
My intention was to cut the top and front with scissors...maybe get some thinning shears. Snapping on a preset length attachment is easy. I've been trimming my neck in between haircuts for years so using two mirrors to get the back decent was also easy. I'm also using an Oster (an A5). I used a #8 on top but would rather have enough left in the right amounts to part. A #8 (1") is too short for that. I'll use the longest one (a #10, 1-1/2") next time.

I understand now. I was never good at getting the back straight, or trimming my neck.

Closed Office 03-04-12 06:52 PM

I didn't understand all the 4 6 and 8 numbers people have been using until a couple of the inch equivalents came out. I use a half inch spacer and just buzz all over. It's great and looks decent enough to me. I'm not a very social person and can't say I make a fashion statement, but it's not a mess.

ahsposo 03-04-12 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Closed Office (Post 13931288)
I didn't understand all the 4 6 and 8 numbers people have been using until a couple of the inch equivalents came out. I use a half inch spacer and just buzz all over. It's great and looks decent enough to me. I'm not a very social person and can't say I make a fashion statement, but it's not a mess.

Pics or it doesn't happen!

waldowales 03-04-12 08:57 PM

There is a story in my family about one of my Scotch ancestors, who lit a paper sack on fire and passed it around his head, to singe the hair off. If anybody wants to try it, be sure to let me know how it works for you!

ahsposo 03-04-12 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldowales (Post 13931771)
There is a story in my family about one of my Scotch ancestors, who lit a paper sack on fire and passed it around his head, to singe the hair off. If anybody wants to try it, be sure to let me know how it works for you!

Probably was more for the lice, not the hair.

skycomag 03-04-12 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 13930379)

i've been using one for over 15 yrs.
saved lots of money so i could pay the ex-wife.

ahsposo 03-04-12 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skycomag (Post 13931834)
i've been using one for over 15 yrs.
saved lots of money so i could pay the ex-wife.

:thumb:

Big_e 03-05-12 01:19 PM

Yep, every two weeks for the last five years now. I like it short.

RubenX 03-05-12 01:23 PM

I've been using the #2 for over a decade. When you keep it short like that, you have to re-do it every 2 weeks or so. It really made no sense to pay somebody else to do it. When haircut prices jumped the $5 mark I decided to go DIY and never looked back.

ModoVincere 03-05-12 01:25 PM

yes. #2 clip. I think I have paid for 1 or 2 haircuts in the last 8 or so years.

GP 03-05-12 02:18 PM

You guys don't miss the socializing at the barber shop? Shooting the ****, watching ESPN, reading magazines?

jsharr 03-05-12 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GP (Post 13934658)
You guys don't miss the attention from the opposite sex?

fify

himespau 03-05-12 02:34 PM

I used to go to a beauty school where they'd give you a nice scalp/neck/shoulder massage with scented oil and then cut your hair for like $10, but I just don't like talking to strangers and having someone all up in my business for such a long time (the school took like an hour to get your hair cut) made me uncomfortable, so when they raised it to like $13, I stopped going. I went there for several years though because you were not allowed to leave tips (students couldn't get them according to state law) so I didn't have to worry about trying to figure out what was appropriate.

trsidn 03-05-12 02:40 PM

I am philosophically opposed to haircuts. I eventually relent, just so my wife will stop complaining. And hell no, I don't do it myself.

Stealthammer 03-05-12 02:49 PM

One "store-bought" haircut since my discharge in 1979. Otherwise its just been a dedicated pair of "haircut" scissors and a disposable razor. BTW: If I find you cutting paper with my haircut scissors you will wear them in your chest. :notamused:



Just another set of tools and material to me......

RubenX 03-05-12 03:00 PM

My electric hair cutter is stored in a drawer right next to the safety razor. The drawer was labeled "man stuff" until my daughter relabeled it "beauty stuff". :\ oh well.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 AM.