Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal T.O.
    My Bikes
    CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500
    Posts
    2,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    For the computer "nerds"

    Hey guys! I am thinking of upgrading the graphics car in my computer soon and just want some advice. Currently I am running the extremely low end Nvidia GeForce 310, so pretty much anything would be better than this.

    I am trying to decided between these three:

    Nvidia GTS 240
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3RCB7N5A6MA1J

    Nvidia GT 520
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_1

    Nvidia GT 430
    http://www.amazon.com/Evga-GeForce-E.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

    And finally the Nvidia GTS 450
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_3

    My question is: Is the GTS 450 worth the extra cash? It's over double the price of the other two. I am not a heavy gamer, but I do play Left 4 Dead or SimCity once in a while, and with my current card both games lag horribly unless I use the lowest video settings possible. I can get the GTS 450 $20-30 cheaper on ebay, should I do that instead? Thanks!

    BTW I am running a Intel i7 860 and 8 gb of memory, so I am pretty sure that the graphics card is holding everything back.
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    I know but this is BF.

  2. #2
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,084
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Here is the 450 for $99 from Newegg?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500224
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal T.O.
    My Bikes
    CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500
    Posts
    2,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    Here is the 450 for $99 from Newegg?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500224
    The Amazon one has a mail in rebate offer which knocks $20 off the price.

    I don't understand all these different GTS 450s, here is one I saw on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-Tec...#ht_500wt_1413

    Why do they all look different and have different specs?
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    I know but this is BF.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal T.O.
    My Bikes
    CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500
    Posts
    2,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOTAC-GTS450...ht_8642wt_1396

    Going to bid on it.
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    I know but this is BF.

  5. #5
    Chepooka StupidlyBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  6. #6
    Curmudgeon in Training 20grit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rural Retreat, VA
    My Bikes
    1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab
    Posts
    1,937
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave View Post
    My experience with ATI was pretty much ruined by a lack of driver updates. They just stopped after about 8 months. Since switching to Nvidia, I've had problems with driver stopped working errors, but at least they keep making new ones and fixing the previous ones.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal T.O.
    My Bikes
    CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500
    Posts
    2,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave View Post
    I want to stick with Nvidia, I found a GTS 450 on craigslist for $65, sound like a good deal to me.
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    I know but this is BF.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal T.O.
    My Bikes
    CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500
    Posts
    2,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ones on craigslist that I saw for cheap are all sold
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    I know but this is BF.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Irving, TX
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount
    Posts
    353
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the best information I can give you:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3107.html

  10. #10
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,879
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishymamba View Post
    The ones on craigslist that I saw for cheap are all sold
    I wouldn't buy a GPU on eBay or CL for one reason: warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  11. #11
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on the ATI camp but yeah, you have plenty of system and ram. Lack of video card is what's holding you back.
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  12. #12
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    I wouldn't buy a GPU on eBay or CL for one reason: warranty.
    Nor I, different reason: eBayers and craigslisters. *shudder*

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal T.O.
    My Bikes
    CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500
    Posts
    2,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    I wouldn't buy a GPU on eBay or CL for one reason: warranty.
    True...I put a offer on a card on ebay, if it does not get accepted, I'm just going to order it from amazon.
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    I know but this is BF.

  14. #14
    Chepooka StupidlyBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 20grit View Post
    My experience with ATI was pretty much ruined by a lack of driver updates. They just stopped after about 8 months. Since switching to Nvidia, I've had problems with driver stopped working errors, but at least they keep making new ones and fixing the previous ones.
    I have had the exact opposite experience. But in neither case did the driver "stop working". My last nVidia update involved tricking the driver installation that my card was supported by the driver. But my latest purchasing decision was based entirely on price/performance, so I got a Radeon HD 6870.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT set up for commuting
    Posts
    642
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishymamba View Post
    Hey guys! I am thinking of upgrading the graphics car in my computer soon and just want some advice. Currently I am running the extremely low end Nvidia GeForce 310, so pretty much anything would be better than this.

    I am trying to decided between these three:

    Nvidia GTS 240
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3RCB7N5A6MA1J

    Nvidia GT 520
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_1

    Nvidia GT 430
    http://www.amazon.com/Evga-GeForce-E.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

    And finally the Nvidia GTS 450
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_3

    My question is: Is the GTS 450 worth the extra cash? It's over double the price of the other two. I am not a heavy gamer, but I do play Left 4 Dead or SimCity once in a while, and with my current card both games lag horribly unless I use the lowest video settings possible. I can get the GTS 450 $20-30 cheaper on ebay, should I do that instead? Thanks!

    BTW I am running a Intel i7 860 and 8 gb of memory, so I am pretty sure that the graphics card is holding everything back.
    I'm surprised that those games are lagging... the system requirements are pretty basic. Are you sure that other processes aren't screwing things up? Here's a very recent review of graphics cards by price point: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3107.html

    Also, Intel's Sandy Bridge and later processors are making the cheap (<$150) graphics cards obsolete. It may make sense to get a cheaper stop-gap solution for now and then upgrade the processor/board in a year or two.
    Last edited by Greg_R; 03-23-12 at 03:53 PM.

  16. #16
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should be able to buy a HD5770 or HD6770 (same hardware, different model number) for $60~80 and they are better than the ones listed up. They perform around the same as a 550 GT.... S or X....

    quite frankly, nvidia model numbers are confusing to me.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal T.O.
    My Bikes
    CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500
    Posts
    2,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should be able to buy a HD5770 or HD6770 (same hardware, different model number) for $60~80 and they are better than the ones listed up. They perform around the same as a 550 GT.... S or X....

    quite frankly, nvidia model numbers are confusing to me.
    The HD5770 is more expensive: http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeo...2542749&sr=8-4

    What about the 6670? http://www.amazon.com/EAH6670-DIS-1G...2542600&sr=1-6

    How does it compare with the GTS 450?
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    I know but this is BF.

  18. #18
    Papaya King waynesworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio (Grandview area)
    My Bikes
    2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850
    Posts
    1,640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about graphics cars (), but I'm sure any of them would look great with mag wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    walk right in and punch the first guy you meet in the head
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Kona Jake, 2009 Felt X City D, 1984 (?) Trek 400, 1995 Trek 850

  19. #19
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishymamba View Post
    The HD5770 is more expensive: http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeo...2542749&sr=8-4

    What about the 6670? http://www.amazon.com/EAH6670-DIS-1G...2542600&sr=1-6

    How does it compare with the GTS 450?
    You're not buying from the proper locations. $130 for. Hd5770 is a total ripoff. Try newegg or ncix.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  20. #20
    Senior Member mikeybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Edgewater, CO
    My Bikes
    Tons
    Posts
    3,057
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While we're on the topic of video cards... what's a decent, inexpensive four monitor video card? Needs to be low profile. Don't care about the graphics power as its for work.
    My Bikes: 2009 Breezer Uptown EX | 1980 Miyata 610 | 1970 Hercules | 198? Miele ?
    Wife's Bike: 2008 Globe City 7

    My Blog, a mix of bicycling, tech, and family.

  21. #21
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeybikes View Post
    While we're on the topic of video cards... what's a decent, inexpensive four monitor video card? Needs to be low profile. Don't care about the graphics power as its for work.
    you'd be looking at something like a $300+ matrox, AMD fire or nvidia quattro card for a single card solution.

    Much cheaper if your motherboard can handle 2x AMD videocards, because they support output on all ports through hydravision/hydragrid.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  22. #22
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For fishymamba, I'd suggest a GTX460 with 1GB of memory and the 256-bit memory bus (I see some with 192-bit busses, here, let me strangle you to illustrate why that matters). It would have about 80% higher performance than the GTS 450 for another $35ish. That card does require:

    1. some room

    2. some system ventilation

    3. a power supply that has two 6-pin PCI-Express power connectors, and that won't essplode with a GTX460 connected to it. Think: respectable-quality 450W PSU.


    If your system is an off-the-shelf pre-built, it may be lacking one or more of the above criteria.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Irving, TX
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount
    Posts
    353
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you'd be looking at something like a $300+ matrox, AMD fire or nvidia quattro card for a single card solution.

    Much cheaper if your motherboard can handle 2x AMD videocards, because they support output on all ports through hydravision/hydragrid.
    I thought this is what AMD Eyefinity was for.

    http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/TECHN...eyefinity.aspx

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Irving, TX
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount
    Posts
    353
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
    For fishymambadoes require:

    1. some room

    2. some system ventilation

    3. a power supply that has two 6-pin PCI-Express power connectors, and that won't essplode with a GTX460 connected to it. Think: respectable-quality 450W PSU.


    If your system is an off-the-shelf pre-built, it may be lacking one or more of the above criteria.
    Good points- the higher power video cards are pretty big, specifically pretty long, and they do have more power requirements than lesser cards.

  25. #25
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you'd be looking at something like a $300+ matrox, AMD fire or nvidia quattro card for a single card solution.

    Much cheaper if your motherboard can handle 2x AMD videocards, because they support output on all ports through hydravision/hydragrid.
    For business use, I'd put the up-front cost way down the priority list, though. It's a productivity tool, it could pay for itself muy rapido.

    fishymamba, what resolution do you use for gaming, by the way? I was OK with a single GTX460 (1GB 256-bit) at 1680 x 1050, but when I got a 1920 x 1080 monitor, it just couldn't keep up on games like Crysis 2 at maximum eye candy anymore. I then bought a second GTX460 and set them up in SLI.

    By the way, here's a direct comparison between the GTS450 and the GTX460 1GB 256-bit: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...32.233.234.235

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •