Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-04, 10:38 PM   #1
Dannihilator
User Title
Thread Starter
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,413
I axed the end of the year awards.

And there will be no more of them in the future. I'm just really disgusted and ticked off by all of the crabbyness that they have recieved. Go out and get some fresh air, get out on a bike and ride who cares if it's 20 below and there is a foot of snow on the ground go out and do something. I am not mentioning names, since we all need to get out side and ride or do something in the fresh air. Loosen up, the cold air won't hurt you, this crabbyness and pissing and moaning will hurt you in the road ahead.
__________________
Signature.
Dannihilator is offline  
Old 12-29-04, 11:18 PM   #2
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaRider24
And there will be no more of them in the future. I'm just really disgusted and ticked off by all of the crabbyness that they have recieved. Go out and get some fresh air, get out on a bike and ride who cares if it's 20 below and there is a foot of snow on the ground go out and do something. I am not mentioning names, since we all need to get out side and ride or do something in the fresh air. Loosen up, the cold air won't hurt you, this crabbyness and pissing and moaning will hurt you in the road ahead.
Thanks a heap curmudgeon. You couldn't let us have some fun.

edit: The curmudgeon in question knows who he is. Hint: It ISN'T Kona
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Old 12-29-04, 11:30 PM   #3
scottogo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: Electra Townie 7D
Posts: 3,398
My realm

Not only on the Bike Forum, but the neighbors, too!
Sorry about that.
scottogo is offline  
Old 12-29-04, 11:30 PM   #4
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 9,991
BOOO
531Aussie is offline  
Old 12-29-04, 11:31 PM   #5
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Thanks a heap curmudgeon. You couldn't let us have some fun.

edit: The curmudgeon in question knows who he is. Hint: It ISN'T Kona
It wasn't a one man thing. It sucks. Not gonna get into it though.
Maelstrom is offline  
Old 12-29-04, 11:54 PM   #6
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor
 
RegularGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Where even Richard Nixon has got soul
Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.
Posts: 2,630
Well, the year end awards were kind of fun. They weren't worth getting your shorts in a knot over, whether you were nominated, ignored, dissed or whatever. In the end, they were utterly inconsequential.

They're gone?

Oh, well!
__________________
Religion is a good thing for good people and a bad thing for bad people. --H. Richard Niebuhr
RegularGuy is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 12:00 AM   #7
CRUM
Recovering Retro-grouch
 
CRUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Some call it God's country. I call it Acton, Maine
Bikes: Too Many - 7 or 8
Posts: 5,008
And I was really enjoying the show. Each time I looked, a new award popped up. Some of them right creative. But I guess this whole award thing was like an iceberg. Most of it was not in the open.
__________________
Keep it 'tween the ditches

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone
CRUM is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 12:04 AM   #8
A.troll
Ride Nekkid!
 
A.troll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Trollsville, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 752
Dang! And I was winning one of the contests, too!




Ok, I am over it. I love you, Kona!
__________________
So many men....so little time!
A.troll is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 12:22 AM   #9
Karldar
SNIKT!
 
Karldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Home for wayward mutants
Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000
Posts: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.troll
Ok, I am over it. I love you, Kona!

Not to presume, but you seem to love everyone.

Well, I was hoping to be most something-or-other next year. I'm still a legend in my own mind....
__________________
I like pie!
"The bright flicker of our television screens is the stolen incandescence of a thousand young minds." - Theodore W. Gray
"you taught us to fish while so many others were handing out tuna sandwiches" - Ziggurat
Karldar is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 12:29 AM   #10
A.troll
Ride Nekkid!
 
A.troll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Trollsville, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karldar
Not to presume, but you seem to love everyone.
I love you, too! Wanna be my boyfriend?

__________________
So many men....so little time!
A.troll is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 12:52 AM   #11
Karldar
SNIKT!
 
Karldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Home for wayward mutants
Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000
Posts: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.troll
I love you, too! Wanna be my boyfriend?

I love you, too. Have to ask my wife about the bf thing, tho. She'll be home in a couple hours.
__________________
I like pie!
"The bright flicker of our television screens is the stolen incandescence of a thousand young minds." - Theodore W. Gray
"you taught us to fish while so many others were handing out tuna sandwiches" - Ziggurat
Karldar is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 12:56 AM   #12
HereNT
無くなった
 
HereNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sci-Fi Wasabi
Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
Posts: 5,073
Plenty of time....
HereNT is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 01:24 AM   #13
forum*rider
Work hard, Play hard
 
forum*rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, California
Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)
Posts: 2,596
too bad about the awards.

oh well, life goes on and Trollie gets another boyfriend
forum*rider is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 06:01 AM   #14
Rowan
Has opinion, will express
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,565
Always treading the line between good and bad. I have to side with DF on the negative awards*. I didn't agree with DF on setting up the over-50s forum, and I will stir him up occasionally on it. But I haven't really found him as curmudgeonly as some on these forums. And I think he knows that I am only stirring him up because I am not actively campaigning for the 50s forum's removal. I think he also was instrumental in setting up the Recreational Cycling forum. Perhaps dues to him for actually making a contribution to the structure of BF instead of heaping unwarranted ***** on him.

The awards this year degenerated into a rabble. Not Kona's fault. Not DF's fault. Probably partly mine and every other poster who put up cr@p comments. Had the voting been just that -- votes without comment -- we might have got somewhere.

There's no reason why the awards cannot be reconsituted next year with some very solid rules --no negative categories; nominations period; nominations received and seconded and sent by PM to a designated mod; posting of maximum of five nominations for votes only; no comment. Alternatively, have the mods receive the nominations and decide between themselves (after all, they know more about each member than any of us); and there can be a vox-pop poll for people's choice.

* Put this in perspective by reading 521Aussie's post on Forum Suggestions under the Insults Thread.

By the way, it doesn't mean I won't be harsh on imbeciles, trolls and other assorted idiots who should know better. There'd be no fun being a member here, otherwise.
Rowan is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 06:15 AM   #15
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com
 
pitboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WI
Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX
Posts: 8,269
ok - this whole event is really sad. Really sad.
Glad it came to this. Thanks for the brief glimpse of sunlight, I am going back to the FX/SS forums. Now you know why I stay in there like a hermit.

GO INANIMATE CARBON ROD!

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"
pitboss is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 06:16 AM   #16
A.troll
Ride Nekkid!
 
A.troll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Trollsville, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
Always treading the line between good and bad. I have to side with DF on the negative awards*. I didn't agree with DF on setting up the over-50s forum, and I will stir him up occasionally on it. But I haven't really found him as curmudgeonly as some on these forums. And I think he knows that I am only stirring him up because I am not actively campaigning for the 50s forum's removal. I think he also was instrumental in setting up the Recreational Cycling forum. Perhaps dues to him for actually making a contribution to the structure of BF instead of heaping unwarranted ***** on him.

The awards this year degenerated into a rabble. Not Kona's fault. Not DF's fault. Probably partly mine and every other poster who put up cr@p comments. Had the voting been just that -- votes without comment -- we might have got somewhere.

There's no reason why the awards cannot be reconsituted next year with some very solid rules --no negative categories; nominations period; nominations received and seconded and sent by PM to a designated mod; posting of maximum of five nominations for votes only; no comment. Alternatively, have the mods receive the nominations and decide between themselves (after all, they know more about each member than any of us); and there can be a vox-pop poll for people's choice.

* Put this in perspective by reading 521Aussie's post on Forum Suggestions under the Insults Thread.

By the way, it doesn't mean I won't be harsh on imbeciles, trolls and other assorted idiots who should know better. There'd be no fun being a member here, otherwise.
Well said, Rowan. Do you wanna be my boyfriend, too?



__________________
So many men....so little time!
A.troll is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 06:33 AM   #17
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com
 
pitboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WI
Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX
Posts: 8,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
There's no reason why the awards cannot be reconsituted next year with some very solid rules --no negative categories; nominations period; nominations received and seconded and sent by PM to a designated mod; posting of maximum of five nominations for votes only; no comment. Alternatively, have the mods receive the nominations and decide between themselves (after all, they know more about each member than any of us); and there can be a vox-pop poll for people's choice.
sounds like more work than needed for something that is commonly meant for fun. I howled at the fact that I recommended MORRISSEY for Most Charming and the Inanimate Carbon Rod as member of the year and they made the cut. Kona is a stand up Mod for being so inclusive, even if he rides a geared bike... I say dump them completely if so many rules need to be implemented. Are we going to afternoon tea with the Brontes? Or Oscar Wilde?
I choose the latter. And cucumber sandwiches...
pitboss is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 06:41 AM   #18
Rowan
Has opinion, will express
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,565
So many rules? What are you talking about? Has the hermit life made you *that* simple? Better than the bloody rabble it degenerated into with rules (yes rules!!!) made on the run.

And your choice of author isn't particulary supportive of your argument. Wilde was a highly regarded and recognised writer. Maybe the contributions of some on these forums needs a bit of positive recognition. The sort of recognition Wilde yearned for, IIRC, at times during his career.

Arrghh, go back to hole you came from. Shame. I think I might have voted for your avatar.
Rowan is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 07:07 AM   #19
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com
 
pitboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WI
Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX
Posts: 8,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
So many rules? What are you talking about?
see the beginning of the statement I quoted from you. Nuff said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
Arrghh, go back to hole you came from. Shame. I think I might have voted for your avatar.
1. Make room in the hole - you're there too.
2. Wow - a forum vote for an image I jacked. I should care why? Or is this some weak form of an attempt to sway sympathy?
At any level, feel free to email me to further discuss this
renegademaster at trackbike dot com

the author comment - you sure about that? Like I said, use the email address to discuss.
pitboss is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 07:28 AM   #20
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
While I don't agree with KonaRider24's actions, I must commend him for having the cajonees to claim his actions.

While we're busy making rules, I'd like to make a motion for a new rule that when a MOD makes any edits to a post or thread, (Deleting content or thread, locking a thread or moving it) that they MUST annotate said post or thread with their username and reason for doing so.

Any seconds?
__________________
Stacey is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 07:39 AM   #21
Harry
Senior Member
 
Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Dream State
Bikes:
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey
While I don't agree with KonaRider24's actions, I must commend him for having the cajonees to claim his actions.

While we're busy making rules, I'd like to make a motion for a new rule that when a MOD makes any edits to a post or thread, (Deleting content or thread, locking a thread or moving it) that they MUST annotate said post or thread with their username and reason for doing so.

Any seconds?
Yes!
Harry is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 07:46 AM   #22
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Thank you.


All in favour say 'Aye'.


Opposed, 'Nay'.
__________________
Stacey is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 07:47 AM   #23
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Aye
__________________
Stacey is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 08:10 AM   #24
lotek
Forum Admin
 
lotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: n.w. superdrome
Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa
Posts: 17,702
maybe.
Sometimes there just isn't time to discusss what we did and why.
Personally I don't want to have to justify my actions every time I
(we) delete threads from Spammers.
If I mess in a thread, delete stuff etc. I will usually say so. Sometimes
tho I prefer to do this in a PM as to not air someones dirty laundry in public.

Marty (feeling very cantakerous and grouchy today).
__________________
Sono pił lento di quel che sembra.
Odio la gente, tutti.


Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
lotek is offline  
Old 12-30-04, 08:21 AM   #25
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com
 
pitboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WI
Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX
Posts: 8,269
Nay
plunk down $25 if you want to make improvements. be ready to give a little if you want to take
Right Hedwig? (btw - GREAT movie! Your sig reminded me of watching it again soon)
pitboss is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:09 AM.