Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-12, 08:16 AM   #1
trackhub
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
trackhub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Watching all of you on O.B.I.T.
Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog
Posts: 2,039
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Scrambled eggs.. How do you like 'em?

Ok CBadRider, I await your input on this.

After experimenting for many moons with various ways to cook scrambled eggs, I seem to have come across a recipe that makes them really good. Instead of adding milk or cream, add a tablespoonful of water per egg. (two tbls. of water for two eggs.) Add a pinch of Kosher salt, and a good sprinkling of onion powder. Whisk the eggs well, and pour into a hot, non-stick pan that has been prepped with butter, or cooking spray (if you must, you must)

Then, the usual applies: With a spatula, move the cooked egg toward the center. The uncooked portion moves out when you do this. Keep repeating, then toss the eggs around
until done, but be careful not to overcook.

Makes for pretty tasty scrambled eggs.

Share your methods for cooking scrambled eggs.
trackhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 08:19 AM   #2
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
get in car
drive to Denny's
order and eat.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 08:26 AM   #3
leob1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Middle of the road, NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Try a little bit of orange juice, and cinnimon.
Or my favorite;
Dice a potato, small sweet pepper(red, yellow, orange, and\or green) and a small onion, and ground sausage(hot or sweet).
saute in butter or cooking spray util the sausage is cooked, and the veggies are soft-ish.
Scramble eggs(2-3) in a bowl.
Lower heat to med-low.
Add eggs to pan
Let cook until the bottom is firm, and starts to brown.
Try turn turn the whole thing over, if you break it up that's ok too.
Cook utill eggs are firm, and bottom is jusst slightly brown.
Sprinkle grated cheddar chees on top, cover so cheese melts.
Serve with tabasco(of course).
Go for a long hard ride to work off the 10 thousand calories you just ate.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 08:28 AM   #4
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka
 
StupidlyBrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Central PA
Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Camping recipe (I do this on backcountry river trips, but I do not bring a frypan on backpacking trips).

Melt 2-3 tablespoons butter in a non-stick pan
Add cut bell pepper and onions and cook on med
When veggies are halfway cooked pour in eggbeaters directly from container and add pre-cooked turkey sausage.
StupidlyBrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 08:58 AM   #5
colorider
smorenivore
 
colorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
Try a little bit of orange juice, and cinnimon.
Or my favorite;
Dice a potato, small sweet pepper(red, yellow, orange, and\or green) and a small onion, and ground sausage(hot or sweet).
saute in butter or cooking spray util the sausage is cooked, and the veggies are soft-ish.
Scramble eggs(2-3) in a bowl.
Lower heat to med-low.
Add eggs to pan
Let cook until the bottom is firm, and starts to brown.
Try turn turn the whole thing over, if you break it up that's ok too.
Cook utill eggs are firm, and bottom is jusst slightly brown.
Sprinkle grated cheddar chees on top, cover so cheese melts.
Serve with tabasco(of course).
Go for a long hard ride to work off the 10 thousand calories you just ate.
I do something similar sometimes with diced ham instead of sausage.
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 09:02 AM   #6
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training
 
20grit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rural Retreat, VA
Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab
Posts: 1,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I only ever add cheese, crumbled sausage, or black pepper to my eggs. Then they get cooked until they're fairly dry.
20grit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 09:04 AM   #7
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20grit View Post
I only ever add cheese, crumbled sausage, or black pepper to my eggs. Then they get cooked until they're fairly dry.
scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese go well in grits.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 09:22 AM   #8
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Break eggs into bowl. Add a dash of milk, some black pepper and then sprinkle in some tarragon and then whisk briskly.

Scramble until firm and moist, but not wet. Use spatula to move eggs about taking care not to be too vigorous, as they need to have larger pieces, not tiny little bits.

Plate and salt and pepper to taste then top lightly with grated cheese.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 10:27 AM   #9
skijor 
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
Break eggs into bowl. Add a dash of milk, some black pepper and then sprinkle in some tarragon and then whisk briskly.

Scramble until firm and moist, but not wet. Use spatula to move eggs about taking care not to be too vigorous, as they need to have larger pieces, not tiny little bits.

Plate and salt and pepper to taste then top lightly with grated cheese.
Do you have a cigarette after all that?
skijor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 10:40 AM   #10
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skijor View Post
Do you have a cigarette after all that?
No, I have the best scrambled eggs ever.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 10:59 AM   #11
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Best way to scramble eggs...

Omlette.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 01:44 PM   #12
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
creamy - I don't add water or milk.

Little butter in a non stick pan ---- shoot those scrambled eggs into the pan and you either have option - I do a fast flip and flop - preferring an undercooked egg anyway.

However here is how I do the following recipie-ish sometimes sans herbs, cream or oil - just using a bit of butter - the technique is using a non-stick pan and to keep on the eggs - you don't let them set up - keep flipping. It's a lovely way to serve eggs - they are soft and creamy - and yes cooked.

A recipe...

_____

The Best Scrambled Eggs

Yield 2 servings

Time 40 minutes (MORE LIKE 25-30 MINUTES, tude)
Ingredients

4 or 5 eggs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons cream
A small handful of mixed herbs
2 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil

Method

1. Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them, just until the yolks and whites are combined. Season with salt and pepper and beat in the cream.
2. Put a medium skillet, preferably non-stick, over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add the butter or oil and swirl it around the pan. After the butter melts, but before it foams, turn the heat to low.
3. Add the eggs to the skillet and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. At first nothing will happen; after 10 minutes or so, the eggs will begin to form curds. Do not lose patience: Keep stirring, breaking up the curds as they form, until the mixture is a mass of soft curds. This will take 30 minutes or more. Serve immediately.
__________________
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 01:49 PM   #13
ChrisM2097
Senior Member
 
ChrisM2097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Milpitas, CA
Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I take my eggs over medium w/ coarsely cracked black pepper and some green habanero hot sauce. Preferably over hash browns & bacon, so I can soak them in the yummy, runny yolk.
ChrisM2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 01:53 PM   #14
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tude View Post
creamy - I don't add water or milk.

Little butter in a non stick pan ---- shoot those scrambled eggs into the pan and you either have option - I do a fast flip and flop - preferring an undercooked egg anyway.

However here is how I do the following recipie-ish sometimes sans herbs, cream or oil - just using a bit of butter - the technique is using a non-stick pan and to keep on the eggs - you don't let them set up - keep flipping. It's a lovely way to serve eggs - they are soft and creamy - and yes cooked.

A recipe...

_____

The Best Scrambled Eggs

Yield 2 servings

Time 40 minutes (MORE LIKE 25-30 MINUTES, tude)
Ingredients

4 or 5 eggs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons cream
A small handful of mixed herbs
2 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil

Method

1. Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them, just until the yolks and whites are combined. Season with salt and pepper and beat in the cream.
2. Put a medium skillet, preferably non-stick, over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add the butter or oil and swirl it around the pan. After the butter melts, but before it foams, turn the heat to low.
3. Add the eggs to the skillet and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. At first nothing will happen; after 10 minutes or so, the eggs will begin to form curds. Do not lose patience: Keep stirring, breaking up the curds as they form, until the mixture is a mass of soft curds. This will take 30 minutes or more. Serve immediately.
what happened to the small handful of mixed herbs? Did you smoke it?
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 02:14 PM   #15
overthehillmedi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nanaimo.B.C. The We't coast of Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 1,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just made Dad's recipe for Flung Dung. Basicly scrambled eggs and Chinese food. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

take some left over Chinese food, cut into small pieces, throw into hot wok, crack some eggs into wok, stir,cook then serve and eat.
overthehillmedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 02:17 PM   #16
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 4,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
Break eggs into bowl. Add a dash of milk, some black pepper and then sprinkle in some tarragon and then whisk briskly.

Scramble until firm and moist, but not wet. Use spatula to move eggs about taking care not to be too vigorous, as they need to have larger pieces, not tiny little bits.

Plate and salt and pepper to taste then top lightly with grated cheese.
This, serve with beer.
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 02:48 PM   #17
colorider
smorenivore
 
colorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Mix in leftover cooked spaghetti noodles with the eggs, onion, cheese, etc. Sounds weird but I saw it on one of the food channel shows (Triple D?). Turns out pretty good actually.
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 05:03 PM   #18
black_box
Fax Transport Specialist
 
black_box's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: chicago burbs
Bikes: '07 fuji cross pro, '10 gary fisher x-caliber
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I will have to try some of these... I mostly do the splash of milk thing. I add some sriracha sauce onto the plate for dipping. The skillet thing with potatos, peppers, onions, and cheese is also good.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 05:12 PM   #19
zonatandem
Senior Member
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Posts: 10,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Sunny side up!?
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 05:13 PM   #20
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Posts: 4,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use alittle milk as well... I like to add spinach (fresh or frozen) and a touch of cheddar cheese to make it creamier. I might use alittle ketchup when I eat them but I generally add nothing else other than maybe parsley or cilantro.

For a fun mix of things, I like to add bean sprouts, peas, fine chopped green pepper and maybe some ham... make egg foo young... sauce is alittle soy, sesame oil and corn starch
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 06:13 PM   #21
sevenmag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Carolina
Bikes: 1976 Raleigh, 2012 Specialized Secteur.
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese go well in grits.
Oh yea!!!! I just love grits. All that is good in em, but I can eat just the grits.


I do the little bit of milk thing, salt, pepper, and sometimes some cheese.
Keep them in a shape that will just cover some toast, put some cheese to melt on the top of the eggs as they finish then put em on a piece of toast and cover em with another.

My wife likes that with a bit of mustard. Sausage or bacon go good on it too.

After this thread I might know what we're havin for dinner there at the Mag outpost.
sevenmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 09:40 PM   #22
<3 2 Ride 
Found my way
 
<3 2 Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: On the shore
Bikes: Salsa Campeon, Specialized Crux, Bottechia Mixte
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate scrambled eggs unless they are part of an omelet. If I'm going to eat eggs, it is 2 egg whites fried in a small amount of butter with cracked pepper.
__________________
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon

<3 2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 09:52 PM   #23
windhchaser 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
crack egg discard the small bird thats in there blend egg part add salt and garlic chop up the small bird and cook on low heat
windhchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 10:01 PM   #24
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by <3 2 Ride View Post
I hate scrambled eggs unless they are part of an omelet. If I'm going to eat eggs, it is 2 egg whites fried in a small amount of butter with cracked pepper.
Why do you hate chicken ova?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 10:04 PM   #25
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!
 
RubenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate eggs... they smell like, well... you know.
__________________
"Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes
RubenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 PM.