Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
  1. #1
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Going carless in the sticks

    Someone I'm close to lost his license for a year. He's always driven everywhere, is in crap shape, you get the picture.

    He's taken a very positive attitude towards straightening out and the remedial steps he has to take. He's started cycling to work (15 miles each way) even though he's still allowed to drive there. Physical condition is improving rapidly and I've been helping him with equipment and advice.

    However, he's a single dad, lives pretty far from everything and doesn't socialize much so asking friends to step in is apparently not an option. There are a number of practical things he hasn't figured out the best way to do (such as get his kid to activities or his dog proper vet care) since these things are not within the exceptions he's allowed.

    I'm just fishing for ideas here. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since he's in the sticks, does losing his license also include driving an ATV? I have relatives in the sticks, and they do everything on ATVs and snowmobiles from fartin' around town to attending weddings at the school gym/VFW/recreation center/local hang out. The kids drive their own at tots, and the really young ones just hitch a ride. They are all essentially carless unless traveling to "the cities" since it's 6 hours away.

    But then there is the cost of obtaining ATVs...

  3. #3
    Warning:Annoying to jerks RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Raleigh Team Technium, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Posts
    5,918
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending how old his kids are/how big his dog is, a trailer could solve this.
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”


    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

  4. #4
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Caad4, Schwinn moab
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in the sticks. We have the Illinois public transit system. It's a dollar each trip and they pick you up. Mostly used by people in your friends situation.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Attleboro, MA
    My Bikes
    2011 Steamroller; 1998 Cannondale F-400; 1981 Motobecane Jubilee Sport
    Posts
    231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SonataInFSharp View Post
    Since he's in the sticks, does losing his license also include driving an ATV? I have relatives in the sticks, and they do everything on ATVs and snowmobiles from fartin' around town to attending weddings at the school gym/VFW/recreation center/local hang out. The kids drive their own at tots, and the really young ones just hitch a ride. They are all essentially carless unless traveling to "the cities" since it's 6 hours away.

    But then there is the cost of obtaining ATVs...
    If he lost his license for DWI/DUI, it counts for any motorized vehicle that is driven on the road, including a riding lawnmower.

    Really, the question is based on budget. He could use a Velomobile to fill the void, but from what I understand, they're somewhat pricey. There is a guy on Martha's Vineyard with two handicapped -Autistic(?) - daughters, that he transports everywhere in his Velomobile.
    2011 Surly Steamroller; 1998 Cannondale F-400; 1981 Motobecane Jubilee Sport
    Car free since 1998. Big Oil hates me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nye, The Science Guy
    Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym.

  6. #6
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,742
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more vote for the trailer. If he has the cash, he could get one for cargo and one for the kids.

    My mom can't drive and uses the local dial-a-ride service on occasion, like what chris is talking about, but then that's suburbia. Are y'all even technically in the radius of such a system?
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I openSUSE: III

  7. #7
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris..... View Post
    I live in the sticks. We have the Illinois public transit system. It's a dollar each trip and they pick you up. Mostly used by people in your friends situation.
    If there is public transit available, you don't really live out it the sticks.

  8. #8
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SonataInFSharp View Post
    Since he's in the sticks, does losing his license also include driving an ATV? I have relatives in the sticks, and they do everything on ATVs and snowmobiles from fartin' around town to attending weddings at the school gym/VFW/recreation center/local hang out. The kids drive their own at tots, and the really young ones just hitch a ride. They are all essentially carless unless traveling to "the cities" since it's 6 hours away.

    But then there is the cost of obtaining ATVs...
    ATVs aren't actually legal to ride on the road in most places.

  9. #9
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who actually grew up in the sticks, no way would I live out there with out a car. And being a parent means you need to be responsible and you shouldn't rely on others to transport your kids for you. Growing up, the closest store was 20 miles away, it just isn't practical to live that far out from things without a vehicle.

  10. #10
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Caad4, Schwinn moab
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy_Rider View Post
    If there is public transit available, you don't really live out it the sticks.
    They cover the county, it really is in the sticks.

  11. #11
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris..... View Post
    They cover the county, it really is in the sticks.
    Then that is a rarity from my experience.

    You can get a cab out of one of the bigger cities to go quite aways out to get you, but man I would hate to see that bill. That would be as close as you get around here.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're not even that far out and it costs us $50 to take a cab into the city.

  13. #13
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,263
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    banerjek,

    Sorry for your friend's pain. You should definitely check into the Living Car Free, Recreational & Family and Utility Biking forums here on BF. Or have your friend do it if he can. The Commuting forum can help him with any commuting questions. There's a lot of practical experience that has been through similar problems already. He's not alone.

    Knowing the size of the kid and the pet, and his budget would help. Two year old's are not the same as 11 year olds. How far exactly is it to those activities and what equipment is needed?

    But for generic advice, no commuter should have only 1 bike. I'd recommend getting a second bike, a used, hard-frame mountain bike and add street tires, fenders, lights, racks and shopping panniers. My panniers are Sunlite Grocery Getters. If there is money he might consider buying a Surly Big Dummy, Kona Ute or get an XtraCycle rear end for the mountain bike.

    Find a used kiddie trailer to keep the kid dry and it can also be used for grocery shopping. If possible, make it so either bike can tow the trailer. It's possible that for a year, maybe some of the child's activities may need to be reduced, but that will allow for added daddy/child time at home, and since the friend is in the sticks, other activities may be possible in making sure that the child does not have Nature Deficit Syndrome like many kids do.

    Lots of good advice can be had. But knowing what to recommend requires knowing more about the problem.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 07-25-12 at 12:13 PM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  14. #14
    Why not? EthanYQX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    My Bikes
    Giant STP 2
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SonataInFSharp View Post
    Since he's in the sticks, does losing his license also include driving an ATV? I have relatives in the sticks, and they do everything on ATVs and snowmobiles from fartin' around town to attending weddings at the school gym/VFW/recreation center/local hang out. The kids drive their own at tots, and the really young ones just hitch a ride. They are all essentially carless unless traveling to "the cities" since it's 6 hours away.

    But then there is the cost of obtaining ATVs...
    ATV's not street legal so yes he can drive it. No license required.
    "It is not the critic who counts."

  15. #15
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EthanYQX View Post
    ATV's not street legal so yes he can drive it. No license required.
    But, you can't drive it on the streets because it's not street legal. You can get pulled over and ticketed for it.

    Or at least they can try as you duck off into a field and through a woods, not that I would know about pulling stunts like that.

  16. #16
    Why not? EthanYQX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    My Bikes
    Giant STP 2
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy_Rider View Post
    But, you can't drive it on the streets because it's not street legal. You can get pulled over and ticketed for it.

    Or at least they can try as you duck off into a field and through a woods, not that I would know about pulling stunts like that.
    Not that I'm admitting anything, but why stop.
    "It is not the critic who counts."

  17. #17
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,956
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno his financials, but agree with Artkansas that since he's now relying solely on his bike, he should invest in another one. The trailer route will be cheaper, but maybe the guy could use something like a Big Dummy/Xtracycle, Kona Ute, and the like. Possibly even outfit one with electric assist to help with heavier loads or travel distances a bit further and/or faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  18. #18
    Warning:Annoying to jerks RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Raleigh Team Technium, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Posts
    5,918
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Dunno his financials, but agree with Artkansas that since he's now relying solely on his bike, he should invest in another one. The trailer route will be cheaper, but maybe the guy could use something like a Big Dummy/Xtracycle, Kona Ute, and the like. Possibly even outfit one with electric assist to help with heavier loads or travel distances a bit further and/or faster.
    I'm still confused as to how the second bike will help with the dog and kid(s)? Cargo bikes are usually serious $$$$
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”


    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

  19. #19
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
    I'm still confused as to how the second bike will help with the dog and kid(s)? Cargo bikes are usually serious $$$$
    And people obviously have never tried to strap a kid in a trailer for a couple hours if they think that is actually a workable solution.

  20. #20
    Warning:Annoying to jerks RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Raleigh Team Technium, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Posts
    5,918
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy_Rider View Post
    And people obviously have never tried to strap a kid in a trailer for a couple hours if they think that is actually a workable solution.
    A couple hours? We still don't know the actual distances for vet and kid rec time travel.... glad you're being so open minded with the facts present here.
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”


    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

  21. #21
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,742
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy_Rider View Post
    And people obviously have never tried to strap a kid in a trailer for a couple hours if they think that is actually a workable solution.
    Yeah... I have pretty much a three-mile radius of action with the 2-year-old in the trailer. But then, I live in the burbs and it's hard to get too far beyond that without the roads getting very trailer-unfriendly. But I think if my son had his snack cup and maybe a book, he'd be okay for a few more miles.

    I was hoping that "out in the sticks", there wouldn't be much traffic and thus, he'd be able to make it further with appropriately-distracted kids in the trailer.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I openSUSE: III

  22. #22
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
    A couple hours? We still don't know the actual distances for vet and kid rec time travel.... glad you're being so open minded with the facts present here.
    Out in the sticks and 15 miles to work, to me out in the sticks means it's probably 15 miles at least to most places.

    And to me, being a father is my biggest responsibility in life and I take that job very seriously. My kids well being is the most important thing. So that takes precedent over any hair brain idea to try and leave a certain way. What happens if the kid gets sick and you need to get him to the doctor?

  23. #23
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
    Yeah... I have pretty much a three-mile radius of action with the 2-year-old in the trailer. But then, I live in the burbs and it's hard to get too far beyond that without the roads getting very trailer-unfriendly. But I think if my son had his snack cup and maybe a book, he'd be okay for a few more miles.

    I was hoping that "out in the sticks", there wouldn't be much traffic and thus, he'd be able to make it further with appropriately-distracted kids in the trailer.
    Yeah, but a round trip would be a lot and would only be interesting so many times.

  24. #24
    Warning:Annoying to jerks RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Raleigh Team Technium, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Posts
    5,918
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy_Rider View Post
    Out in the sticks and 15 miles to work, to me out in the sticks means it's probably 15 miles at least to most places.

    And to me, being a father is my biggest responsibility in life and I take that job very seriously. My kids well being is the most important thing. So that takes precedent over any hair brain idea to try and leave a certain way. What happens if the kid gets sick and you need to get him to the doctor?
    Wouldn't know, in my 5 year tenure spent as a step dad I always had a working familymobile and was licensed and insured.. so I'm doing my best to supply helpful info here without passing on my prejudices... but I also can't see kids and animals being less antsy on a cargo bike then a trailer.. perhaps you can clarify for me?
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”


    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

  25. #25
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
    Wouldn't know, in my 5 year tenure spent as a step dad I always had a working familymobile and was licensed and insured.. so I'm doing my best to supply helpful info here without passing on my prejudices... but I also can't see kids and animals being less antsy on a cargo bike then a trailer.. perhaps you can clarify for me?
    They wouldn't be any less antsy between the two, a trail a bike is slightly better than a trailer, but only when they are awake and alert. The problem is them being confined to such a small area for any length of time. Same thing happens in a car, only difference is how much distance you can cover in that time. A hour is about my sons limit, but there are days when even that is far to long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •