I've started working on rebuilding an app that I began awhile back, lost when I switched jobs, and which some people convinced me to start on again. I thought I'd begin posting updates/changes to it here so that as I get parts of it working I can comment on it here.
The app itself aims to be a social sag wagon application. It will allow a person with a bike that breaks down to request help from all cyclists within a general area. Additionally, it will allow for a person that needs medical help to request it and in some cases may request help for the person if the cyclist becomes incapacitated.
It does not use a data plan to function so it is capable of being used where only non-data roaming access exists.
Here's a photo of the application main screen for the time being:
Here's the beginning of user profile modifications for the backend website to track the sag wagon phone numbers:
8/9 - Fixed the bugs that caused the slow execution. Put together a class to monitor the accelerometer and figured out a workaround so it can work on most devices with the screen off. (Saves a lot on battery usage that way.) Working on the RequestHelp class now.
8/8 - Found some bugs in it tonight that were causing the code to block for too long while waiting for registration response and BlockGuard was being enabled to kill the app. Had to fix that asap...
8/5 - I got the registration and preferences stuff completed now except for making the password for encryption change to one using key exchange. (This is so I can have some encrypted data over SMS and in some cases send objects over SMS). Tomorrow I'll be starting on the code for sending the Sag Wagon SMS messages to every person in the local area.
8/2 - The app now receives the SMS messages from the inbox and then fires off a registration validation request. The backend is now seeing that request, doing a database lookup for what is needed, and is then responding with an AES-256 encrypted block of text. That text gets decrypted and the json object inside is then placed into memory and stored in the user preferences.
Essentially, this will make it extremely difficult for someone to pretend to be the application and register devices to the wrong accounts.
8/1 - Finishing the backend registration system so I can test mobile device registration and persistent user data storage. It's now sending SMS messages when a person adds a Sag Wagon phone number to their profile. Then, under the "Settings" menu is a "Validate" button that scans the content://sms/inbox for validation sms messages and automatically completes the validation.
7/31 - Got about 75% of the way done with profile storage and backend registration.
7/30 - Tested various encoding methods for user registration.
7/29 - Wordpress installed for the backend. Got the settings menu / phone registration started.