Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 353
  1. #26
    Curmudgeon in Training 20grit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rural Retreat, VA
    My Bikes
    1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab
    Posts
    1,934
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rltot View Post
    And we care Why?
    Says the guy posting in foo with his bikes listed in his sig.

  2. #27
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    I have this guitar, that's not in that photo:



    $500 with case. Great tone. Korean made guitar: Agile.

    soapbars!

  3. #28
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,927
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, P90's do have an overdrive growl that's rather unique. I like that guitar, it's a keeper.

    I haven't seen an Ovation in a long time.

    Special note to poster above: if you don't love guitars, you are a sad, sorry little man.
    Last edited by patentcad; 08-20-12 at 07:50 PM.

  4. #29
    Curmudgeon in Training 20grit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rural Retreat, VA
    My Bikes
    1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab
    Posts
    1,934
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Guitars were meant to be loved.


    I mean.... just look at those f holes.

  5. #30
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,927
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This guitar thing is working out. I think I'm in my first band, and I think we will be gig-worthy within a couple of months. AND I think we'll be pretty good too.

  6. #31
    your god hates me Bob Ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,953
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    $500 with case. Great tone. Korean made guitar: Agile.
    I'd never even heard of the Agile brand before reading this thread, but just yesterday I was strolling down West 30th Street in Manhattan on the way to a rehearsal and I spotted an Agile similar to yours (humbuckers instead of P90s) in the window of Rogue Music.

    I think they wanted $800 for it.

  7. #32
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    This guitar thing is working out. I think I'm in my first band, and I think we will be gig-worthy within a couple of months. AND I think we'll be pretty good too.
    There's only so many times you can get away with playing louie-louie.

  8. #33
    Curmudgeon in Training 20grit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rural Retreat, VA
    My Bikes
    1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab
    Posts
    1,934
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    There's only so many times you can get away with playing louie-louie.
    With just the slightest change they've got Wild Thing. Instantly doubling repertoire.

  9. #34
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 20grit View Post
    With just the slightest change they've got Wild Thing. Instantly doubling repertoire.
    yep....however, I play louie louie with bar chords, and Wild Thing with open chords.

  10. #35
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,927
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I'd never even heard of the Agile brand before reading this thread, but just yesterday I was strolling down West 30th Street in Manhattan on the way to a rehearsal and I spotted an Agile similar to yours (humbuckers instead of P90s) in the window of Rogue Music.

    I think they wanted $800 for it.
    You can buy them for half that price direct from Rondo Music on line.

  11. #36
    Curmudgeon in Training 20grit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rural Retreat, VA
    My Bikes
    1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab
    Posts
    1,934
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are some fine products coming out of Korea. Not great, products, but certainly fine ones. I've played a Korean Epiphone Les Paul side by side with a Gibson Les Paul Traditional and in that case there was no comparison. The Epi sounded dead compared to the Gibson. I think with the right amp pairings though, and without direct comparison, they're definitely serviceable guitars.

    The biggest issue with them is the finish for me. A good finish is as thin as possible but still smooth. This requires extensive sanding. The cheap alternative to this is to apply a thicker coating of finish with smooths out irregularities without the sanding requirements. What I've seen out of my Korean made guitars (Gretsch Pro Jet, Airline Twin Tone) as a result of this is, runs in finish, unwanted buildup in certain areas, and because there are so many coatings, you'll get things on the surface between coats. This ends up either looking bad, causing a 'bubble' or even a finish pop. Coming from an acoustic guitar background, my instant worry is the effect on tone. A number of factors could contribute, but generally I've found these guitars to be more 'dead' sounding. This is exactly the way I describe acoustics with too much finish. Maybe my suspicions have some merit. Not sure.

    They still sound fine (and will sound even better with better caps and pots. Switches are probably the weakest of the electronics, but don't play much into sound), but all mine are slowly starting to look like exactly what I bought them for, beater guitars.

    If I buy another Korean made one, it will probably be an Alden Zemaitis clone. Then strip the finish, electronics, and all and re do them. I've always wanted an unnecessarily gaudy guitar.

    Another random.... the bigsby (licensed of course) on the airline has actually had chunks of aluminum come out of it. Far too easily. I find that one a bit odd.

  12. #37
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 20grit View Post
    With just the slightest change they've got Wild Thing, Twist and Shout and La Bamba. Instantly quadrupling repertoire.
    Exponentialized it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  13. #38
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I realized over the years - if I had to choose between a great gtr and a crappy amp, or the opposite - I'll take the great amp every time. Obviously, a great gtr and amp would be ideal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  14. #39
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the assumption that my apartment hasn't burned down while I've been away, this guitar makes my other guitars (two student classicals) gently weep. I've never been able to take a good picture of it, since I'm usually too busy playing it. I tried playing with the levels and colour balance, but it still comes out looking yellower and uglier than it is.








  15. #40
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,927
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 20grit View Post
    There are some fine products coming out of Korea. Not great, products, but certainly fine ones. I've played a Korean Epiphone Les Paul side by side with a Gibson Les Paul Traditional and in that case there was no comparison. The Epi sounded dead compared to the Gibson. I think with the right amp pairings though, and without direct comparison, they're definitely serviceable guitars.

    The biggest issue with them is the finish for me. A good finish is as thin as possible but still smooth.
    Yeah, the finish on the pricier guitars is superior. But tone? The two Agiles I've owned were both $425 (plus case). The P-90 guitar I held onto, that guitar beat the Gibson Custom Shop $3K guitar in a the important respects to my ears and touch when I A-B'd them a few months back. The humbucker guitar needed new pickups (I installed Gibson Classic 57's), and after that, it was a real killer for a total investment of about $700.

    I'm amazed at the value and performance those guitars deliver. I don't care for the burst color or the plasticky finish, but they are great guitars for not a lotta dough.

  16. #41
    Curmudgeon in Training 20grit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rural Retreat, VA
    My Bikes
    1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab
    Posts
    1,934
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Yeah, the finish on the pricier guitars is superior. But tone? The two Agiles I've owned were both $425 (plus case). The P-90 guitar I held onto, that guitar beat the Gibson Custom Shop $3K guitar in a the important respects to my ears and touch when I A-B'd them a few months back. The humbucker guitar needed new pickups (I installed Gibson Classic 57's), and after that, it was a real killer for a total investment of about $700.

    I'm amazed at the value and performance those guitars deliver. I don't care for the burst color or the plasticky finish, but they are great guitars for not a lotta dough.
    Yeah, the mid range Korean made stuff is very solid. With the cheap (sub $200) you get what you pay for, but all the $4-600 range stuff I've seen has been pretty decent for the price.
    Good choice on the 57's. One of my favorite pickups. I was actually putting a 57's at the neck and burstbucker 3's at the bridge before Gibson started doing it. It's a fantastic pickup combo (IMO) if you get the urge to swap another other guitar's pickups.

  17. #42
    Dammit!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a photo of my Martin M-36 somewhere. Too lazy to dig it up.

  18. #43
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,927
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This could be next. Negotiating with the shop that has it now. Custom color PRS DGT. May be the only DGT this color on the planet. I think it looks great. I'd have to sell a guitar to finance this one, and after that my guitar buying will be completed.


  19. #44
    Curmudgeon in Training 20grit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rural Retreat, VA
    My Bikes
    1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab
    Posts
    1,934
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's an interesting bridge. Not sure if I recognize it. Is it just a strat bridge variant or something more?

  20. #45
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn...that's some pretty wood on that DGT

  21. #46
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbcb View Post
    On the assumption that my apartment hasn't burned down while I've been away, this guitar makes my other guitars (two student classicals) gently weep. I've never been able to take a good picture of it, since I'm usually too busy playing it. I tried playing with the levels and colour balance, but it still comes out looking yellower and uglier than it is.







    How's it play?

  22. #47
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,927
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 20grit View Post
    That's an interesting bridge. Not sure if I recognize it. Is it just a strat bridge variant or something more?
    I do think that is the proprietary PRS tremelo bridge. Wanted a hum bucker axe with a whammy bar.

    PRS guitars are the shiznit.

  23. #48
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    How's it play?
    Unbelievably gorgeously, and it just gets better the more I play it. I bought it for the guitarist that I'd like to be in 20 years' time, though I don't think I'll deserve it even then. The first time I played it, it felt like it had always been mine.

  24. #49
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yo G! You should post a pic of your Esteban in here!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  25. #50
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,927
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Incoming.

    That is not the price Uncle Pcad paid. I've been trading guitars for a long time, I know the bottom line on these guitars, which on this model is over $500 less than the posted price on the website.

    Still too much, but I tried to find the right one of these used for months to no avail. They are legendary amongst LP/PRS weenies like me. Fat and versatile tone.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •