Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My Daily Marathon with two Schools :\

    With the kid starting middle school and the girl still in elementary I now have deal with this logistics chaos.

    Mornings Logistics
    7:00AM Wake up both kids, get them ready
    7:30AM Get in the car drive 6 miles.
    7:50AM Girl needs to be in school by this time, or else
    7:51AM Drive 2 more miles to boy's school.
    8:00AM ~ 8:59AM Find something to do, boy can't be at school *too early*
    9:00AM Drop boy at school. Drive 4 miles back home.
    9:20AM Back at home, finally

    Afternoon Logistics
    2:00PM Head out, drive 6 miles
    2:20PM Pick up girl
    2:21PM Drive to more miles
    2:30PM ~ 4:00PM Find something to do, boy is still in school
    4:01PM Drive 4 miles back home
    4:20PM At home finally, day's logistics are over

    The morning break (underlined) can be used for eating breakfast, stop at the store or whatever. In the afternoon break (underlined too) I'm taking the girl to a park that's in route or to the library. Still, it's little over 4 hours daily of driving kids around. And we haven't even started with making diner, making sure they do their homework, keeping up with house chores, etc etc etc. In the end is way more than 8 hours a day. And I'm getting paid (except for hugs and kisses).

    To anyone that tells me I'm lazy and sit in the house all day not having a job... a big fat finger!

    I need like 50 dollars a week just to go to the schools and back. That's $200 a month doing it myself. Getting a day care to do all this would cost no less than $500 a month and that's being cheap. No wonder why the oldest kid in a family always get a car assigned at 16. "Drive yourself around and haul all your little brothers & sisters with you"... heck yeah.
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  2. #2
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Caad4, Schwinn moab
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    With the kid starting middle school and the girl still in elementary I now have deal with this logistics chaos.

    Mornings Logistics
    7:00AM Wake up both kids, get them ready
    7:30AM Get in the car drive 6 miles.
    7:50AM Girl needs to be in school by this time, or else
    7:51AM Drive 2 more miles to boy's school.
    8:00AM ~ 8:59AM Find something to do, boy can't be at school *too early*
    9:00AM Drop boy at school. Drive 4 miles back home.
    9:20AM Back at home, finally

    Afternoon Logistics
    2:00PM Head out, drive 6 miles
    2:20PM Pick up girl
    2:21PM Drive to more miles
    2:30PM ~ 4:00PM Find something to do, boy is still in school
    4:01PM Drive 4 miles back home
    4:20PM At home finally, day's logistics are over

    The morning break (underlined) can be used for eating breakfast, stop at the store or whatever. In the afternoon break (underlined too) I'm taking the girl to a park that's in route or to the library. Still, it's little over 4 hours daily of driving kids around. And we haven't even started with making diner, making sure they do their homework, keeping up with house chores, etc etc etc. In the end is way more than 8 hours a day. And I'm getting paid (except for hugs and kisses).

    To anyone that tells me I'm lazy and sit in the house all day not having a job... a big fat finger!

    I need like 50 dollars a week just to go to the schools and back. That's $200 a month doing it myself. Getting a day care to do all this would cost no less than $500 a month and that's being cheap. No wonder why the oldest kid in a family always get a car assigned at 16. "Drive yourself around and haul all your little brothers & sisters with you"... heck yeah.
    No school bus?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, I was going to ask about school bus service, too. I even searched the text and saw no mention of it.

  4. #4
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Youngest is in 2nd grade, oldest in 6th. Youngest will be dropped off by 7:30 pm at school, as it is on the way to work. If he wants to ride his bike, I am fine with that as well.

    Oldest will ride the bus. It picks him up at 7:40 two houses down the street and drops him off at 4:20 at the same place.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  5. #5
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go home schooling Rube....no need to drive all over town.

  6. #6
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris..... View Post
    No school bus?
    Quote Originally Posted by SonataInFSharp View Post
    Ya, I was going to ask about school bus service, too. I even searched the text and saw no mention of it.
    Nope, no school bus. The super efficient government of Seminole County is cutting expenses and they decided that when kids of divorced parents have shared custody, transportation will be provided for one household only. The decision was based on old "rules" deep inside the inner-workings of the local education administration. These rules were drafted decades before 50% 50% custody arrangements were conceived. Changing this will cost millions of dollars (I was told) because all the programs, systems and databases are designed thinking that each child has only *one* address.

    I am indeed on a quest to get this changed, but that's a different RubenStory(TM).
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  7. #7
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    Go home schooling Rube....no need to drive all over town.
    You haven't read my stories carefully I see... Do you really think is a good idea for Rube to have a chemistry lab at home? Teaching kids how to react stuff? What about a machine shop, cutting wood or soldering metals?
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  8. #8
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Who has custody of the kids during the school week? That is the persion who should get the bus pass.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  9. #9
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    Who has custody of the kids during the school week? That is the persion who should get the bus pass.
    That's exactly the problem... depends on the week. She has one week, I have one week. There's no custody/visitation, is custody/custody.
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  10. #10
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Caad4, Schwinn moab
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is total BS. You should contact your congressman. You pay taxes, you should have access to the service.

    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    Nope, no school bus. The super efficient government of Seminole County is cutting expenses and they decided that when kids of divorced parents have shared custody, transportation will be provided for one household only. The decision was based on old "rules" deep inside the inner-workings of the local education administration. These rules were drafted decades before 50% 50% custody arrangements were conceived. Changing this will cost millions of dollars (I was told) because all the programs, systems and databases are designed thinking that each child has only *one* address.

    I am indeed on a quest to get this changed, but that's a different RubenStory(TM).

  11. #11
    Senior Member no motor?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    3,866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    You haven't read my stories carefully I see... Do you really think is a good idea for Rube to have a chemistry lab at home? Teaching kids how to react stuff? What about a machine shop, cutting wood or soldering metals?
    Tell them you're going to home school, and ask how much the weekly visits from the fire department will cost. That could make a case for the bus rides your taxes should be paying for being cheaper than the fire department calls.

  12. #12
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    You haven't read my stories carefully I see... Do you really think is a good idea for Rube to have a chemistry lab at home? Teaching kids how to react stuff? What about a machine shop, cutting wood or soldering metals?
    I'll teach them chemistry if you are too scared too.....
    ps...I know how to make things go boom real good too.

  13. #13
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris..... View Post
    That is total BS. You should contact your congressman. You pay taxes, you should have access to the service.
    I'm on that route. Is not just the transportation, is many other things. Emergency contacts for example, they have only one parent, not both. Everything is designed for one parent having custody while the other one has visitation on the weekends... which is not my case.
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  14. #14
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question- do you and your ex live in the same district? If so, then perhaps just figure out which one of y'all should play "custodial parent" and have bus service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  15. #15
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Question- do you and your ex live in the same district? If so, then perhaps just figure out which one of y'all should play "custodial parent" and have bus service.
    Yup... same district. Alternating weeks would not work if it's not the same district. But that's the thing, there's no 'custodial parent'. Technically speaking, if we want to get the legal jargon correct, the 'custody' belongs to the state of Florida. The State in turn let us have 'shared parental rights'. All the old definitions of 'custodial parent' and 'visitation' have been reworked, years ago.

    One example, if either of us wants to move out of the county, permission from the other parent is not enough. You need to go to court, request a hearing, etc etc... we can't just pack up and go.
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  16. #16
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Caad4, Schwinn moab
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    Yup... same district. Alternating weeks would not work if it's not the same district. But that's the thing, there's no 'custodial parent'. Technically speaking, if we want to get the legal jargon correct, the 'custody' belongs to the state of Florida. The State in turn let us have 'shared parental rights'. All the old definitions of 'custodial parent' and 'visitation' have been reworked, years ago.

    One example, if either of us wants to move out of the county, permission from the other parent is not enough. You need to go to court, request a hearing, etc etc... we can't just pack up and go.
    Maybe you could drop the kids off at her house every morning so they can ride the bus.

  17. #17
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris..... View Post
    Maybe you could drop the kids off at her house every morning so they can ride the bus.
    Thx for the idea but that would never work.

    - Kids have different buses and there's an hour+ difference between the buses.
    - She starts working at 5am, her house is empty at that time.
    - If I'm gonna drive, I might as well drive all the way to school.
    - The less I have to deal with the ex the better.
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  18. #18
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    Thx for the idea but that would never work.

    - Kids have different buses and there's an hour+ difference between the buses.
    - She starts working at 5am, her house is empty at that time.
    - If I'm gonna drive, I might as well drive all the way to school.
    - The less I have to deal with the ex the better.
    Then have her drop kids off at your house on the weeks she has them... which she's already doing, right? Or are you getting up on your 'off' weeks and fetching the kids from her place when she takes off for work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  19. #19
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Then have her drop kids off at your house on the weeks she has them... which she's already doing, right? Or are you getting up on your 'off' weeks and fetching the kids from her place when she takes off for work?
    Nope... see, my ex starts working at 5am. When the kids are with her, she has a baby-sitter that goes there in the morning, wake up the kids when it's time, gets them ready and walks them to the bus stop. In the afternoon, same baby sitter gets the kids at the bus stop and takes care of them until my ex comes back from work around 6pm. My ex only works like 6 or 7 hours a day... but her schedule has a HUGE lunch time in the middle.
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  20. #20
    Found my way <3 2 Ride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    On the shore
    My Bikes
    Salsa Campeon, Specialized Crux, Bottechia Mixte
    Posts
    1,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Car pool with another parent/kid at one or both schools?
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

    Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon


  21. #21
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put Wintergarden cab logos on the side of the car and try to pick up a few fares on your rounds.
    Do some Miami club bookings @$100hr. as a Ricky Ricardo impersonator(anyone can do Elvis Presley).
    You mentioned before you could play bongos?


    "Lucy,you gots some splaining to do"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  22. #22
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,192
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    No wonder why the oldest kid in a family always get a car assigned at 16. "Drive yourself around and haul all your little brothers & sisters with you"... heck yeah.
    Been there. At 16 my route to school was 25 miles long. My school was about a mile and a half away, but my little brother's was 12 miles away. Being 16 this was great.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  23. #23
    Senior Member tizeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    My Bikes
    1985 Falcon, 2008 Jamis Dakota Sport
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you are part of that long line of cars dropping kids off at the front door, and sitting and waiting for school to get out, that backs up onto the street and blocks all other traffic.

    While they live in the same school district, are the addresses of yourself and ex assigned to the same schools within the district? 6 miles one way seems like would pass several schools on the way, particurally if an elementary school, while less so for middle and high school which encompass a larger area.

    Also, if the same schools couldn't you simply advise the school that "moved" and the new address is.... They don't really need to knoow the reason, but family move throughout the school year.
    Last edited by tizeye; 08-22-12 at 04:47 AM.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Wolfvegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia, CANADA
    My Bikes
    CCM 21 speed big box special.....
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is pretty odd, as a kid I could get on any bus I wanted (IE sleepover at friends house) so I don't see the problem of two locations, what is the closest spot that other children in your neighborhood get on a bus, I say just send your kid there and tell him/her to get on the bus. Do you really think a bus driver will refuse young children bus service? Or is the issue the bus is already full in your area so the city/town is too cheap to hire more buses.

  25. #25
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Been there. At 16 my route to school was 25 miles long. My school was about a mile and a half away, but my little brother's was 12 miles away. Being 16 this was great.
    Yup, I did similar thing too when I was 16. I was the youngest, but the older ones already had kids of their own and I got to haul them around. My family bought me an old station wagon (painted in school-bus-yellow and all) and gave me a daily route, dropping and picking up my little nephews.

    Quote Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
    So you are part of that long line of cars dropping kids off at the front door, and sitting and waiting for school to get out, that backs up onto the street and blocks all other traffic.
    Yes I am. Tell your congressman to order construction of bigger car loops at the schools.

    Quote Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
    While they live in the same school district, are the addresses of yourself and ex assigned to the same schools within the district? 6 miles one way seems like would pass several schools on the way, particurally if an elementary school, while less so for middle and high school which encompass a larger area.
    There was a school within walking distance from here, but they close it down. They have been closing down elementary schools for some time, going towards the big school model of middle school and high school. On top of that they are doing the "cluster" thing where every year you get assigned to any school in the "cluster".

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfvegas View Post
    ... Do you really think a bus driver will refuse young children bus service? ...
    I don't think, I *know*. My ex is a school bus driver. You can only pick up kids on your list. You can lose your job for picking up kids that are not on your list. It's been like that since 9/11. And with video cameras on the buses, you better follow the rules.


    On the brighter side: Both schools are located right in front of 2 bike trails. Many young mothers walk their kids to school and then they go jogging. It's a buffet of preeteeeey young legs and short skirts...yumy yumy yumy
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •