Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Why?

  1. #1
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Caad4, Schwinn moab
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Why?


  2. #2
    RIP Sonny RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Posts
    6,211
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >.< it's a scooter impersonating a bike!
    "Seriously is what I want to be, so I put on spandex and show off my gear, my junk, my thing, yes my ding-a-ling."

  3. #3
    Senior Member himespau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7,716
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be fun going downhill, but not so much going back up.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"


  4. #4
    RIP Sonny RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Posts
    6,211
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by himespau View Post
    Might be fun going downhill, but not so much going back up.
    nah, you just untuck and walk right up!
    "Seriously is what I want to be, so I put on spandex and show off my gear, my junk, my thing, yes my ding-a-ling."

  5. #5
    Senior Member Flying Merkel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Costa Mesa CA
    Posts
    2,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh? What the hell was that?

    Over 100 years ago, the bicycle was perfected. Been some details improved and new materials, but no significant fundamental improvement. Whatever this thing is, it's not an improvement on anything.
    Pronounced "Murkle"

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the side it looked like he was strapped to a banana...

  7. #7
    Look! My Spine! RubenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... can't go "over the handle bars" with that one.
    "Hoy es un dia normal, pero yo voy a hacerlo intenso" ~ Juanes

  8. #8
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I would not, could not ride that thing.

    My LBS sells Elliptigo contraptions. I see a couple of guys on those things on a regular basis and even that is way too much for me.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  9. #9
    Senior Member mikeybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Edgewater, CO
    My Bikes
    Tons
    Posts
    3,214
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous View Post
    From the side it looked like he was strapped to a banana...
    This was my thought as well.
    My Bikes: 2010 Breezer Uptown EX | 1980 Miyata 610 | 1970 Hercules | 198? Miele ?
    Wife's Bike: 2008 Globe City 7

    My Blog, a mix of bicycling, tech, and family.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    8,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "the design is intended to make biking more maneuverable for urban environments"... I don't think so. Give me a skateboard for that instead- or a minivelo
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  11. #11
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He doesn't look comfortable. He looks all hunched over.

    I don't understand how this thing would be more maneuverable than a regular bike that you pushed with your feet instead of using the pedals.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  12. #12
    Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no....I'd rather die a painful, slow, ugly, debilitating death.
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  13. #13
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    8,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    He doesn't look comfortable. He looks all hunched over.

    I don't understand how this thing would be more maneuverable than a regular bike that you pushed with your feet instead of using the pedals.
    Only advantage I can think of is reversing course from a stop.

    Imagine the carnage if were to put a disc brake up front, got up some speed, then did a tail whip after applying the brake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  14. #14
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    8,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    no....I'd rather die a painful, slow, ugly, debilitating death.
    Fruit Loops?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  15. #15
    Senior Member Lamplight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,765
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...the Fliz Bike, is a prototype intended to make biking more maneuverable for urban environments.
    This could only be said with a straight face by someone who's never ridden a normal bike. Also, lets do away with the modern bicycle's efficient means of propulsion and revert to the early 19th century!


  16. #16
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son loves his.


  17. #17
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,339
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
    This could only be said with a straight face by someone who's never ridden a normal bike. Also, lets do away with the modern bicycle's efficient means of propulsion and revert to the early 19th century!

    That design was a definite improvement over the one in the video. At least you weren't suspended by thin straps on either side of your privates. I noticed there wasn't any place to put your feet while coasting. And sitting up straight to relieve the stress of being bent over is impossible. Some grad student and professor/advisor with no sense of history probably thought they were onto something new. Baron Von Drais would be chortling.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 08-27-12 at 01:42 PM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  18. #18
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,339
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy_Rider View Post
    My son loves his.
    Your son's is far better designed.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Lamplight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,765
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    That design was a definite improvement over the one in the video. At least you weren't suspended by thin straps on either side of your privates. I noticed there wasn't any place to put your feet while coasting. And sitting up straight to relieve the stress of being bent over is impossible. Some grad student and professor/advisor with no sense of history probably thought they were onto something new. Baron Von Drais would be chortling.
    Yeah, in my mind not only does it not improve on current bicycle design, but it's even a step down from the original, which is almost 200 years old! (possibly older)

    Also, did anyone else notice how much it was flexing as it rolled over bumps? How much would it suck to have that frame break while you're strapped to it?

  20. #20
    Senior Member Flying Merkel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Costa Mesa CA
    Posts
    2,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
    ...........Also, did anyone else notice how much it was flexing as it rolled over bumps? How much would it suck to have that frame break while you're strapped to it?
    But what a great video that would make.
    Pronounced "Murkle"

  21. #21
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,751
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://stridersports.com

    My son's is better... and he can off-road it.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: II openSUSE: II

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •