Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Your imaginary friend. fuzzbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wandering aimlessly.
    My Bikes
    A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
    Posts
    2,209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Leather not pleather

    ...






    Anyone know any good sites to order custom leather goods from without being outrageous in price? I found a couple sites but I can't find any reviews.

    Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

  2. #2
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,191
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbox View Post
    ...custom leather goods
    Are we talking wallets, jackets, adult toys or what?
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized design Full Force
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tobias Funke, leather daddy

  4. #4
    Old enough to know better willmw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    East Central GA, USA
    My Bikes
    Haro Heartland Express LE, Dawes Lightning 1000
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered Naugahyde ?
    Dangit, I almost only post in Foo, so my post count is abysmal.

  5. #5
    Your imaginary friend. fuzzbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wandering aimlessly.
    My Bikes
    A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
    Posts
    2,209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Are we talking wallets, jackets, adult toys or what?
    A full leather suit with a zipper for the mouth.


    Hahaha just kidding its a belt. I want to get a phrase stamped on it. I could do it myself but buying all the goods would run more than getting it from on of these sites online. But I don't want to drop the cash and get nothing since I can't figure out if any of these site are legit and still running.

    Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,682
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    I believe that in this case "solid meh" means "so 'meh' that it could never be anything more than 'meh', and yet also no less than 'meh' -- in a word, exactly 'meh'"

  7. #7
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see people at festivals who do the custom leathers (usually have lots of belts there for purchase). For the hell of it I googled custom leather for Rochester NY and up popped a few places, one guy had a nice website but it looked like he specialized in watch bands (very nice), the other two had no pics so hmm, you want to see their work, hence seeing examples of their work at festivals. Used to know a woman here who did lovely work (custom coats, belts, chaps - yeah those were my biker years) but I have not seen her in many years. Wish I still had her card. Good luck on your search.

  8. #8
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tude View Post
    I see people at festivals who do the custom leathers (usually have lots of belts there for purchase). For the hell of it I googled custom leather for Rochester NY and up popped a few places, one guy had a nice website but it looked like he specialized in watch bands (very nice), the other two had no pics so hmm, you want to see their work, hence seeing examples of their work at festivals. Used to know a woman here who did lovely work (custom coats, belts, chaps - yeah those were my biker years) but I have not seen her in many years. Wish I still had her card. Good luck on your search.
    I always wondered who made those assless chaps.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  9. #9
    Senior Member pgjackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    My Bikes
    Rossetti Vertigo
    Posts
    3,845
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Custom Hide makes pretty good leather backpacks and briefcases. http://www.customhide.com/

    Saddleback makes really nice bags as well but they are very expensive. http://www.saddlebackleather.com/
    "These are questions for wise men with skinny arms." - Khal Drogo
    2011 Rossetti Vertigo w/ SRAM Rival 16.1lbs

  10. #10
    Your imaginary friend. fuzzbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wandering aimlessly.
    My Bikes
    A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
    Posts
    2,209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was doing my search I saw sites would sold blank belts and such. Leading me to make my own, but after more research it wasn't worth it. With the stamps, dyes, and accessories I was looking at about $150 range. It would be whatever but I don't plan on using the stuff again. I've seen sites that will do it for $30 up to over $100. Which is cool but if I'm out the money and product from being a scam site it would just blow

    Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

  11. #11
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,191
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbox View Post
    When I was doing my search I saw sites would sold blank belts and such. Leading me to make my own, but after more research it wasn't worth it. With the stamps, dyes, and accessories I was looking at about $150 range. It would be whatever but I don't plan on using the stuff again. I've seen sites that will do it for $30 up to over $100. Which is cool but if I'm out the money and product from being a scam site it would just blow
    You may have to look around you then, check out any local renaissance fairs, motorcycle get togethers etc where you can see their work and talk to the craftsman/woman.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got a Tandy Leather store close by? They may be able to help you out.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,692
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    You got a Tandy Leather store close by? They may be able to help you out.
    My first thought was that this was what the OP had already rejected.

    BUT

    Some Tandys are setup to allow people to work there and use the tools. With that yuo would only be paying for the materials and that would be OK.

    It isn't a bad thought on another line, finding out exactly what is involved. I did leather crafts years ago and it turned out many vendors were quite happy to even teach people almsot everything!

    Why?

    Because once people knew the work involved the prices seemed much lower.
    Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •