Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Home Schooling

  1. #1
    Senior Member kknh3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    My Bikes
    Schwinn High Plains, Trek 750 Multi-Track, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn High Sierra
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Home Schooling

    Any experience with home schooling or home schoolers? Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized design Full Force
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a friend who was home schooled and I went to high school with a couple that were home schooled through elementary... They were all smart kids, but regardless, half of them struggled when they got into the regular school system, and all of them were somewhat socially inept.

  3. #3
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We have friends who have home schooled all 5 of their kids. They are very active in a cooperative homeschool assn here in Richardson. Allows for lots of diversity, some group interaction, hiring some teachers for specialized courses, home school athletic teams, etc.

    Their oldest just started college at Kings College in NYC on partial scholarship. Next oldest is a freshman at University of North Texas.

    It is not right for everyone, but it works for them and several other families that I know. Their kids are among the nicest, brightest, politest kids that I am around.

    http://www.edline.net/pages/RHSA_Teaching_Co-op
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  4. #4
    Support JDRF b_young's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We homeschool. My son is in 9th and my daughter is in 7th. I have had no regrets at all. We have a homeschool group of about 300 kids that meet together for arts,pe... The local college has science labs available for the highschool kids. My kids are highly active in our church and sports. As far as social skills, they get along with all age groups unlike what I remember from public school, they don't have clics within the classes. I work a rotating shift schedule so it works well for us. When I am off, sometimes they will do school, sometimes not and we enjoy our time together. Sometimes we will go on vacation (usually during the off seasons). I don't have any real hangups with public school (not all of those people are weird). We definitely hear a lot of different opinions about it, most of the time we didn't even ask for them. I am a nuclear plant operator with an EE degree, there are quite a few of my coworkers that homeschool as well. My wife has a math degree and taught Jr. high and High School before we had kids. But your really do not needed. A support group is advised.
    PM me if you would like to discuss it more.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that is why it is called the present." - Kung Fu Panda

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1LG/weight.png

  5. #5
    Senior Member kknh3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    My Bikes
    Schwinn High Plains, Trek 750 Multi-Track, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn High Sierra
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b_young View Post
    We homeschool. My son is in 9th and my daughter is in 7th. I have had no regrets at all. We have a homeschool group of about 300 kids that meet together for arts,pe... The local college has science labs available for the highschool kids. My kids are highly active in our church and sports. As far as social skills, they get along with all age groups unlike what I remember from public school, they don't have clics within the classes. I work a rotating shift schedule so it works well for us. When I am off, sometimes they will do school, sometimes not and we enjoy our time together. Sometimes we will go on vacation (usually during the off seasons). I don't have any real hangups with public school (not all of those people are weird). We definitely hear a lot of different opinions about it, most of the time we didn't even ask for them. I am a nuclear plant operator with an EE degree, there are quite a few of my coworkers that homeschool as well. My wife has a math degree and taught Jr. high and High School before we had kids. But your really do not needed. A support group is advised.
    PM me if you would like to discuss it more.
    In the interest of full disclosure, we homeschool as well. I just like to get opinions from different groups to see how homeschooling is perceived. We have 4 boys that have all been homeschooled since day 1. I have them in 12th, 10th, 8th and 5th grades. They've all done quite well to date, both academically and socially. Missouri is very homeschooler friendly, and our area, greater St. Louis metro, has a large home school community.

    My oldest is looking at colleges. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, and he wants to go to engineering school as well. He would also like to play baseball. He probably doesn't have the skills for Div 1 baseball, but maybe Div 2. He's scored 31 on the ACT twice and just took it again a few weeks ago. 2 or 3 more points on it would be nice. He won't have any trouble with getting admitted to UM-Columbia or Missouri Science & Technology. However, it would be nice for him to get a great deal, if not all of it covered by scholarships.

  6. #6
    Senior Member 009jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    My Bikes
    Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
    Posts
    1,288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was home schooled for the first two years. Subsequently did well and went on to graduate from university in engineering.

  7. #7
    Support JDRF b_young's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter was born in St. Louis, we lived in Hazelwood for a couple of years while I was at Emerson. We loved the area but wanted closer to family. I would not have expected it to be homeschool friendly though. I'm glad it is. It's funny that our kids school was a consideration when we moved back and then we decided to homeschool, so it would not have been an issue.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that is why it is called the present." - Kung Fu Panda

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1LG/weight.png

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT set up for commuting
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kknh3 View Post
    In the interest of full disclosure, we homeschool as well. I just like to get opinions from different groups to see how homeschooling is perceived. We have 4 boys that have all been homeschooled since day 1. I have them in 12th, 10th, 8th and 5th grades. They've all done quite well to date, both academically and socially. Missouri is very homeschooler friendly, and our area, greater St. Louis metro, has a large home school community.
    In the past, I think it was looked upon with a bit more negativity. With the internet, there are large support groups and kids have other avenues for socialization. Home schooling is quite common where I live even though the local schools are quite good. I think typical high school things like club competitions, music groups, sports, dances, etc. are important for kids to experience. It sounds like those experiences are available to many home schooled kids?

  9. #9
    Senior Member kknh3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    My Bikes
    Schwinn High Plains, Trek 750 Multi-Track, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn High Sierra
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    In the past, I think it was looked upon with a bit more negativity. With the internet, there are large support groups and kids have other avenues for socialization. Home schooling is quite common where I live even though the local schools are quite good. I think typical high school things like club competitions, music groups, sports, dances, etc. are important for kids to experience. It sounds like those experiences are available to many home schooled kids?
    Yeah, there are all kinds of things like that available for home schooled kids in this area. Things like sports, theatre, choir, National Honor Society, dances, etc. The lcoal home school organization here in our county even holds a formal graduation ceremony every year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •