Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-12, 12:09 PM   #1
windhchaser 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
People will argue about anything

talking to a semi freind and she told me her freind served in ww2 the thing is her freind is 60 years old.I told her thats there is no way he is to young .i told her that perhaps he means vietnam. but i couldn't convince her.This women is a college grad lol.i finaly told her she was right and walked away with a headache
windhchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 12:09 PM   #2
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No they won't!
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 12:10 PM   #3
jon c. 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 2,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Personally, I think the propensity to argue is a ridiculous thing to argue about.
jon c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 12:10 PM   #4
windhchaser 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
ha
windhchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 12:33 PM   #5
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 4,955
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
No they won't!
Oh yeah?
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 12:33 PM   #6
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you don't know what you're talking about.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 12:38 PM   #7
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 4,955
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
you don't know what you're talking about.
You're obviously referring to our Texican friend.
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 12:42 PM   #8
BenzFanatic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicagoland area
Bikes:
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by windhchaser View Post
talking to a semi freind and she told me her freind served in ww2 the thing is her freind is 60 years old.I told her thats there is no way he is to young .i told her that perhaps he means vietnam. but i couldn't convince her.This women is a college grad lol.i finaly told her she was right and walked away with a headache
I despise people who refuse to admit when they are wrong. Obviously she could do the math herself, she probably knew it, but just didn't want to admit it. One of the things I love about all of my friends is if they or I am wrong, we admit it, and when we can't come to agree on something, we agree to disagree with no hard feelings.
BenzFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 01:06 PM   #9
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
86 is the new 60. You should have asked her where he was stationed or what battles he was in.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 02:21 PM   #10
b_young
Support JDRF
 
b_young's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arkansas
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who cares??
b_young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 02:37 PM   #11
mikeybikes
Senior Member
 
mikeybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edgewater, CO
Bikes: Tons
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_young View Post
Who cares??
Agreed.
mikeybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 02:41 PM   #12
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
This is the Internet. People do argue about anything.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 02:45 PM   #13
Notso_fastLane
Senior Member
 
Notso_fastLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Medford, OR
Bikes: Kona MTN bike, Bent TW Elegance
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
This is the Internet. People do argue about anything.
I disagree.
Notso_fastLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 02:53 PM   #14
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane View Post
I disagree.
See?!
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 02:58 PM   #15
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
See?!
No, you see first!
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 03:04 PM   #16
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 03:05 PM   #17
009jim
Senior Member
 
009jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
Posts: 1,288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not by nature a person who likes conflict and I dislike people who want to argue. I try to only ever allow myself to become involved where I feel certain of something. There are a couple of tricks I have learned to deal with an disagreeable person.
(i) At the first sign of them opposing your statement, make double and triple clear what their stated position is. Get them to repeat their stated position clearly in front of other people preferably. Later when you produce a scientific journal or something they should really choke. But they frequently don't due to their nature but at least it helps other people realize that person's flawed character.
(ii) The other trick is to change your stated position to agree with theirs and see if they then change to the opposite. Do it a couple of times so you have them swapping back and forth just to be disagreeable. This only works with real dopes.
009jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 03:17 PM   #18
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009jim View Post
I'm not by nature a person who likes conflict and I dislike people who want to argue. I try to only ever allow myself to become involved where I feel certain of something. There are a couple of tricks I have learned to deal with an disagreeable person.
(i) At the first sign of them opposing your statement, make double and triple clear what their stated position is. Get them to repeat their stated position clearly in front of other people preferably. Later when you produce a scientific journal or something they should really choke. But they frequently don't due to their nature but at least it helps other people realize that person's flawed character.
(ii) The other trick is to change your stated position to agree with theirs and see if they then change to the opposite. Do it a couple of times so you have them swapping back and forth just to be disagreeable. This only works with real dopes.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 03:41 PM   #19
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Duck Season FIRE!!
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 04:51 PM   #20
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which side was her friend on?

I know some Japaneese soldires held out on their own fo ryears, perhaps one even started the next generation of hold outs.

Only thing I can think of since I'm nearly 60 and my parents didn't even meet until my dad was in college on the GI bill after the end of WW II.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 04:56 PM   #21
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 4,955
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
This is the Internet. People do argue about nothing.
fify
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 PM.