Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Hearing aids?

  1. #1
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,755
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hearing aids?

    So I paid a visit to an audiologist on Tuesday. Instead of the usual "yep, you're still deaf in the right, left is pretty normal, have a nice day", she actually said there was something out to help me with my unilateral hearing loss:

    http://www.phonak.com/us/b2c/en/prod.../overview.html

    I'm going in for a trial at the end of the month and I'll have 30 days to decide if it is worth $3k to not make people stay on my left all the time and to stop guessing which side of the room my toddler is hiding on.

    Do any of you guys wear a hearing aid, and if so, do you have any wisdom for me? I'd ask my grandfather... but he passed in '09.

    If you don't have any wisdom, the usual Foo shenanigans may ensue. Please post on my left or I may not hear you.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: II openSUSE: II

  2. #2
    Cool Beans MangoPumpkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Cadent
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with them personally, but I'd have to say it's up to you whether or not it's worth the convenience or inconvenience as it may be. I know my SO has some hearing loss (which he swears he doesn't) and I get sick of hearing, 'What, What, What!?' tens of times a day.
    I've got your restraining order right here. [grabs crotch] Restrain this!

  3. #3
    Senior Member RoyIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Waxahachie, Texas
    My Bikes
    Gios Compact Pro , Gios fixed gear, Pedal Force RS2, CAAD5 single speed.
    Posts
    507
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear Oticons. get them - if you don't you are getting more isolated without even knowing it. Good luck

  4. #4
    Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MangoPumpkin View Post
    I have no experience with them personally, but I'd have to say it's up to you whether or not it's worth the convenience or inconvenience as it may be. I know my SO has some hearing loss (which he swears he doesn't) and I get sick of hearing, 'What, What, What!?' tens of times a day.
    maybe you should speak up and more clearly.
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  5. #5
    Cool Beans MangoPumpkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Cadent
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    maybe you should speak up and more clearly.
    Yeah, totally. Sounds like you have experience.
    I've got your restraining order right here. [grabs crotch] Restrain this!

  6. #6
    Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MangoPumpkin View Post
    Yeah, totally. Sounds like you have experience.
    what?
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  7. #7
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,206
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3K to gain some hearing back? I would be knocking their door down. Go get it!

  8. #8
    rck
    rck is offline
    Senior Member rck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    monroe (sw) wi
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Posts
    1,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wearing hearing aids intermittently for years. Currently I've a pair of Phonaks (courtesy of the VA). I have no particular words of wisdom but only an observation-the times I do wear them I'm startled at how really loud the world is!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #9
    Senior Member Shimagnolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Zang's Spur, CO
    Posts
    6,473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For $3K I expect a Phonak jersey included for no extra charge.

  10. #10
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hearing aids? Did you have unprotected oral sex?
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NW Arkansas, USA
    My Bikes
    2012 Giant Sedona Hybrid
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am deaf in my left ear and tried the CROS type aids a few years back. I had very little hearing loss in the right so it was elected to give me a NON amplified RIGHT receiver unit along with the LEFT unit that held a microphone. I had only one issue with the units I had (can't remember the brand) the unit that fit my GOOD right ear which held the receiver was so bulky that it cut down on the natural sound I heard in that ear, and that really bothered me. It was slightly muffled. The units also squealed whenever I go got around certain electrical equipment, like computer monitors - which was pretty inconvenient as I work in IT.

    I eventually gave them up because I seem to produce so much ear wax that the RIGHT unit got plugged up regularly and had to be taken in for cleaning. With the muffling issue and the cleaning and the generally poor service I was getting I just got discouraged and stopped using them.

    At my last audiologist checkup (different doctor) we again discussed them. It seems that the receiver unit is much smaller so it blocks less sound in the good ear (not an issue if you need amplification in that ear too) and they won't squeal around monitors, largely because we now use flat screens and the units use a different frequency. I elected not to get them, I've been this way all my life and it just didn't seem worth it to take another chance, as I would yet again have to shell out big bucks for them, my insurance will not cover them.

    Just thought you'd like to hear from another person who used them.

  12. #12
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,755
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    For $3K I expect a Phonak jersey included for no extra charge.
    Don't think I am not going to try.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: II openSUSE: II

  13. #13
    BF Risk Manager
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Snohomish County, Washington USA
    My Bikes
    Road, mountain and folding
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a bilateral hearing loss since birth, and I am now 52. I have about a 55% loss combined. I bought a pair of bilateral aids back in 2004, and I have been wondering if the technology has advanced at all such that I should go in for another assessment. Cost is a major barrier: they cost me $ 7000 back in 2004 which I paid out of pocket. I have no insurance coverage for hearing aids. I primarily wear them at work, where they come in handy for meetings. I still cannot hear whispers, aids or no aids.
    Regards, MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

  14. #14
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,755
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    Hearing aids? Did you have unprotected oral sex?
    Uhh, a) no, b) eww, and c) I don't get it.

    Actually, I am at the very least missing my vestibular aqueducts and I might also have Meniere's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
    I too am deaf in my left ear and tried the CROS type aids a few years back. I had very little hearing loss in the right so it was elected to give me a NON amplified RIGHT receiver unit along with the LEFT unit that held a microphone. I had only one issue with the units I had (can't remember the brand) the unit that fit my GOOD right ear which held the receiver was so bulky that it cut down on the natural sound I heard in that ear, and that really bothered me. It was slightly muffled. The units also squealed whenever I go got around certain electrical equipment, like computer monitors - which was pretty inconvenient as I work in IT.

    I eventually gave them up because I seem to produce so much ear wax that the RIGHT unit got plugged up regularly and had to be taken in for cleaning. With the muffling issue and the cleaning and the generally poor service I was getting I just got discouraged and stopped using them.

    At my last audiologist checkup (different doctor) we again discussed them. It seems that the receiver unit is much smaller so it blocks less sound in the good ear (not an issue if you need amplification in that ear too) and they won't squeal around monitors, largely because we now use flat screens and the units use a different frequency. I elected not to get them, I've been this way all my life and it just didn't seem worth it to take another chance, as I would yet again have to shell out big bucks for them, my insurance will not cover them.

    Just thought you'd like to hear from another person who used them.
    Very interesting. Because my left is normal, these are behind-the-ear units with the little pipe into the good ear.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: II openSUSE: II

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NW Arkansas, USA
    My Bikes
    2012 Giant Sedona Hybrid
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
    Very interesting. Because my left is normal, these are behind-the-ear units with the little pipe into the good ear.
    My receiver unit was a full in the ear type so that's why it blocked so much sound, and not being amplified itself made me feel awkward, even with the hearing gained by the other unit.

    Things have surely improved since then and it may not be an issue for you.

  16. #16
    Senior Member no motor?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    4,093
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MangoPumpkin View Post
    I have no experience with them personally, but I'd have to say it's up to you whether or not it's worth the convenience or inconvenience as it may be. I know my SO has some hearing loss (which he swears he doesn't) and I get sick of hearing, 'What, What, What!?' tens of times a day.
    And use a bigger font too. Not that I need it.....

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    722
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've worn aids for 10 years or so ?, maybe more. The early versions were the in-the-ear style, cheap enough at around $500 ea.. Issues I had that made me remove them on occasion:

    - Itching in the ear.
    - A "pinkie-in-ear" plugged feeling that could be annoying and replicated that plugged-ear-while-shouting feeling.

    Thus I would remove them, then I'd lose one, or it would get broken, etc...

    For the past 1-1/2 years I've used the Kirtland series from Costco. They cost $2000 for the pair. I tried a hearing aid provider at my work place (a college) and found them to be pricey with poor customer service. Costco has terrific customer service as well as a great warranty.

    The model I use are over-the-ear models, that have a thin tube to a speaker that sits in the ear canal. It's pretty much unnoticable. The in the ear unit has a rubber head that can get clogged with wax, but if you keep spare heads, it's easy to swap and clean out later.

    These are all digital with rechargeable batteries (comes with a charger, or can use standard batteries). The all digital versions work very well and have 4 user settings for different environments (restaurant, movie, etc...). You can also get (for an add'l $300) a Bluetooth interface that allows an iPod to connect or can pair to a cell phone. Pretty snazzy.

    I find the Costco units sensitive to water (sweat) and do not use them on the bike. They do make waterproof covers for them. I've had to return one unit that failed due to sweat, but they replaced under warranty.

  18. #18
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    Hearing aids? Did you have unprotected aural sex?
    Fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  19. #19
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,755
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just emailed the audiologist and switched the test units to the water-resistant kind. One of my worst nightmares is getting run over by someone on the right and not hearing my own imminent demise, so I'd like to at least try them on the bike.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: II openSUSE: II

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NW Arkansas, USA
    My Bikes
    2012 Giant Sedona Hybrid
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
    One of my worst nightmares is getting run over by someone on the right and not hearing my own imminent demise, so I'd like to at least try them on the bike.
    Yes, even though I was evidently born this way being deaf on one side can be dangerous. Although I seem to be hampered with difficulty in spatial awareness, I cannot determine where sounds emanate from, everything sounds like it comes from everywhere to me.

    Please let us know what you find out, I may just pursue getting them again.

  21. #21
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,755
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long rows of parallel-parked cars freak me out, as I can't hear them running next to me. I just stay out of the door zone and look for cars with drivers in them.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: II openSUSE: II

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    722
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
    I just emailed the audiologist and switched the test units to the water-resistant kind. One of my worst nightmares is getting run over by someone on the right and not hearing my own imminent demise, so I'd like to at least try them on the bike.
    I've never worn my aids whole riding as the wind noise was too annoying. As well, I've found that I can hear the lower frequencies fine and can usuallyt hear cars coming about as well as my cycling buddies. Remember that most hearing loss is in the mid-upper ranges, what is known as the voice range, but that's me. Your mileage may vary.

  23. #23
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure my sister-in-law would like the idea of wearing an appliance in her left ear.
    Is is noticable?

    She lost her audio due to the removal of a tumor.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  24. #24
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,755
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    I've never worn my aids whole riding as the wind noise was too annoying. As well, I've found that I can hear the lower frequencies fine and can usuallyt hear cars coming about as well as my cycling buddies. Remember that most hearing loss is in the mid-upper ranges, what is known as the voice range, but that's me. Your mileage may vary.
    My right-side hearing loss is pretty complete. It has to be pretty loud to catch me on the right.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: II openSUSE: II

  25. #25
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,755
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spry View Post
    I'm not sure my sister-in-law would like the idea of wearing an appliance in her left ear.
    Is is noticable?

    She lost her audio due to the removal of a tumor.
    I'll post pics in 3 weeks.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: II openSUSE: II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •