Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    My Bikes
    Felt nine flow
    Posts
    559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    should i wait to geta tablet?

    like in a few months is there something new comeing out?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    My Bikes
    2008 fetish illustre
    Posts
    869
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait until January and get a fully-functional surface tablet for ~ $1000:

    "Microsoft said it will introduce Surface tablets in January 2013 that run the full Windows 8 operating system, which will run on Intel (INTC, Fortune 500) chips and support all desktop software. Those Surfaces will be available in 64- and 128-GB versions and will cost about the same as most ultrabooks, which typically run around $1,000."

    PCad will rue the day. Just wait. Mwuhahahaha.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No sense in waiting, as like all electronic devices, it will be obsolete less than 6 months (or less) of buying it.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palesaint View Post
    Wait until January and get a fully-functional surface tablet for ~ $1000:

    "Microsoft said it will introduce Surface tablets in January 2013 that run the full Windows 8 operating system, which will run on Intel (INTC, Fortune 500) chips and support all desktop software. Those Surfaces will be available in 64- and 128-GB versions and will cost about the same as most ultrabooks, which typically run around $1,000."

    PCad will rue the day. Just wait. Mwuhahahaha.
    I saw a tweetpic via CNET on my g+ feed that the head honcho of MS Windows strapped a couple of wheels (think skateboard) to the Surface, donned helmet and pads... and rode the Surface like a skateboard. The point was to show off the Gorilla Glass 2 that is part of the design.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    My Bikes
    Felt nine flow
    Posts
    559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i want to pay less then 2 hundred and id like it to have big enough screen for surfing the web my ipod touch is just 2 small

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    589
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 7 inch, can be found for $185 and up.

    I have the older Tab 7.0 Plus and love it. They both have Ice Cream Sandwich OS and will likely get updated to Jelly Bean this year.

    The 7" is a great form factor, same size as a Nook or Kindle, so a good reading device. Easy to hold, not to heavy. I use Chrome as my browser on all my computers and phone, which works very well on this size screen.

    SB

  7. #7
    Juicy, Sweet Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Out of the Patch, In your Face
    My Bikes
    My All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,321
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kindle Fire is OK for the web. I got my wife the old version about 6 months ago and she's pleased with it. Only uses it for web browsing.

    I found it clunkier than the iPad for typing, but hey, it was less than $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    This reminds me why I never go into road...........thanks guys.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For $200 (or less) will get you the Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Nook Tablet, and Google Nexus 7, or any number of lesser known brand/refurb units running older versions of Android.

  9. #9
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palesaint View Post
    Wait until January and get a fully-functional surface tablet for ~ $1000:

    "Microsoft said it will introduce Surface tablets in January 2013 that run the full Windows 8 operating system, which will run on Intel (INTC, Fortune 500) chips and support all desktop software. Those Surfaces will be available in 64- and 128-GB versions and will cost about the same as most ultrabooks, which typically run around $1,000."

    PCad will rue the day. Just wait. Mwuhahahaha.
    M$ has already announced availability of Surface tablets running Windows RT on ARM processors. Personally, for a tablet I prefer Android unless you absolutely need Office, and if so you may as well buy a full laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    My Bikes
    Felt nine flow
    Posts
    559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    For $200 (or less) will get you the Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Nook Tablet, and Google Nexus 7, or any number of lesser known brand/refurb units running older versions of Android.
    i kinda like the google one since it has gps

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Irving, TX
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might happen on some good bargains right after Thanksgiving if you can wait that long. Otherwise buy the one that you want now and enjoy it.

  12. #12
    Pokemon Master Darth_Firebolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er, 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2010 Redline Pro 24
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by windhchaser View Post
    i kinda like the google one since it has gps
    google is about to release a 32gb version of the nexus 7, and it should sell for the same price as the current 16gb model, or $249. this will obviously drop the price of the other two models. i'm waiting for the price drop, just to justify buying the 32gb model. "well, it cost the same as the old 16gb model, so i'm getting a great deal!" is my thinking.

  13. #13
    Senior Member bgilchrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg
    My Bikes
    2012 RM Prestige CR 10, 2008 Scott S60FB, 2006 Jamis Dakar XLT, 1995 Kona AA
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is always something better coming out in 2 months. Follow that attitude and you'll never get one.

  14. #14
    Walmart bike rider gpsblake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,619
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by windhchaser View Post
    like in a few months is there something new comeing out?
    As others have said, if you keep waiting for the next generation, you'll never buy one. Just buy what you like now and enjoy it for the next couple of years.

    I got an Kindle Fire not long ago, and a few weeks later the new Kindle 2 HD came out for the same price. No regrets though, I'm happy with my Fire.

  15. #15
    Pokemon Master Darth_Firebolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er, 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2010 Redline Pro 24
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgilchrist View Post
    There is always something better coming out in 2 months. Follow that attitude and you'll never get one.
    that works just fine for the rest of the year. if i wanted to buy a tablet in march, i would buy one. but right now, the cyber monday, black friday, and christmas price drops are appealing enough that i'll wait.

    OP said he liked the google one because it has GPS. it would be silly of him to buy either model when a $50 price drop is inside the 2 month window he asked about.

  16. #16
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt View Post
    that works just fine for the rest of the year. if i wanted to buy a tablet in march, i would buy one. but right now, the cyber monday, black friday, and christmas price drops are appealing enough that i'll wait.

    OP said he liked the google one because it has GPS. it would be silly of him to buy either model when a $50 price drop is inside the 2 month window he asked about.
    You buy into the dumping of old tech "value" ruse?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  17. #17
    Senior Member tizeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    My Bikes
    1985 Falcon, 2008 Jamis Dakota Sport
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, what screen size? 7 or 10 inch? Apple is apparently going to release a 7" ipad in a couple of weeks.

    While the iPad is price controlled by apple and never discounted, Apple does have a Black Friday sale. Last year they knocked $50 off the ipad. Otherwise, get it from Best Buy - tablet or iPad - and rewards points will return $5 to $10 ($5 per $250) for future purchases.

  18. #18
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
    Also, what screen size? 7 or 10 inch? Apple is apparently going to release a 7" ipad in a couple of weeks.

    While the iPad is price controlled by apple and never discounted, Apple does have a Black Friday sale. Last year they knocked $50 off the ipad. Otherwise, get it from Best Buy - tablet or iPad - and rewards points will return $5 to $10 ($5 per $250) for future purchases.
    Though the OP has an iPod Touch, he also wants to stay under $200 for this purchase if at possible. I doubt he's gonna be able to get an iProduct with a larger screen than what he already has with his budget.

    Windows 8 and Windows8 RT are scheduled to ship 10/26. MS is also having an event on 10/29 about the Windows Phone.

    Google/Android has a media event scheduled for the 29th as well, with 'Play Now' as the featured content. Speculation that there will be a reveal of a Sony/Android device and just a hint of a possible 10" Nexus tablet.

  19. #19
    Pokemon Master Darth_Firebolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er, 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2010 Redline Pro 24
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    You buy into the dumping of old tech "value" ruse?
    as an android user, you of all people should realize the nexus 7 is hardly "old tech"
    it's not like we're talking about a kindle fire or original ipad.

  20. #20
    Senior Member tizeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    My Bikes
    1985 Falcon, 2008 Jamis Dakota Sport
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Though the OP has an iPod Touch, he also wants to stay under $200 for this purchase if at possible. I doubt he's gonna be able to get an iProduct with a larger screen than what he already has with his budget.

    Windows 8 and Windows8 RT are scheduled to ship 10/26. MS is also having an event on 10/29 about the Windows Phone.

    Google/Android has a media event scheduled for the 29th as well, with 'Play Now' as the featured content. Speculation that there will be a reveal of a Sony/Android device and just a hint of a possible 10" Nexus tablet.
    iPad mini rumored to be released at Oct 23rd media event. However, price is rumored in the $250 to 300 range. Looks like all the big players - Microsoft, Google, Apple and possibly others like Sony are targeting the end of October. Should be interesting as both Apple and Google attempt to steal the limelight for Windows 8 devices and keep them as a distant 3rd alsoran. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1973849.html

  21. #21
    BF Risk Manager
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Snohomish County, Washington USA
    My Bikes
    Road, mountain and folding
    Posts
    894
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read something the other day that when the new Google Nexus 32 GB comes out, the 'old' 16 GB version will start selling for $ 99. I may buy one just to keep in my office for recreational reading, then.
    Regards, MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

  22. #22
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,378
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would wait. Eventually technology will get to the point of data goggles and all this nonsense about tablets and smart phones will go away... in fact we will likely go to embedded tech and you will be the battery...

  23. #23
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be surprised if we don't end up with embedded chips keyed to DNA containing ID and financial info that has NFC, but with biometric security built-in. The only way to steal and use the info at that point would be to put the stolen chip into a clone.

  24. #24
    on by skijor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Trek 730, Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Vision R40
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mini iPad starting @$329

    wth is Apple thinking?...greedy bastages.
    Last edited by skijor; 10-23-12 at 05:28 PM.

  25. #25
    Senior Member mikeybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Edgewater, CO
    My Bikes
    Tons
    Posts
    2,873
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skijor View Post
    Mini iPad starting @$329

    wth is Apple thinking?...greedy bastages.
    People will pay for it. Especially those that already own an iMac, MacBook, iPod, iPhone, iPad and any other iGadget.
    My Bikes: 2009 Breezer Uptown EX | 1980 Miyata Six Ten | 1970 Hercules Three-Two-Speed
    Wife's Bikes: 2008 Globe City 7 | 1972ish Peugeot UO-18 (in progress)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •