Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-05, 02:39 AM   #1
Max
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do not know why, but I like these photos:
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 06:44 AM   #2
Max
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe because, at least for a little while, nature could contain cars?
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 06:45 AM   #3
lsd87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hudson Valley
Bikes: Sequoia
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great photographs!
lsd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 07:21 AM   #4
lsd87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hudson Valley
Bikes: Sequoia
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where were these taken? My wife has to know!
lsd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 07:45 AM   #5
Cornish_Rdr_UK
Withdrawal Symptoms!
 
Cornish_Rdr_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cornwall UK
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2004 And identit Dr Jekyll
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! Seriously nice photos!
Cornish_Rdr_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 07:54 AM   #6
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Maybe because, at least for a little while, nature could contain cars?
I suspect cycling was also contained by these conditions

Good photos!
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 08:38 AM   #7
Violineb
Senior Member
 
Violineb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Baltimore/Bloomington, IN
Bikes: CAAD9 with upgrades
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where are these pictures from? THey´re amazing I bet if you had some Nokian Extreme 294s or 296 then you could ride when the cars aren´t
Violineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 08:40 AM   #8
Miracle Whip
The Alternative Dressing
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the condiments section of your local grocer
Bikes:
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reveling in others misfortune is always fun, isn't it.
Miracle Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 09:18 AM   #9
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,621
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I suspect cycling was also contained by these conditions

Good photos!
Believe it or not, with my Nokian studded tires I can ride right by those cars very easily. Great traction.The more ice the better. In fact I will be doing something similar later today.

Provided of course, I did not leave my bike next to those cars all night.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 01:36 PM   #10
soda
demon speeder
 
soda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Bikes: commuter: Kona Fire Mountain Road: Mongoose Pro Bosberg
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is the caption for this photo:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com...r___ver101.jpg

"People looks at the effects of the weather, with ice-covered cars, ice covered lines of lights and ice covered trees aon the bank of Lake Geneva near Versoix, Switzerland, Friday, Jan. 28, 2005. Strong winds forced the water to splash over the shoreline, creating bizarre ice-sculptures. (AP Photo/Keystone, Martial Trezzini)"

It appears that it happened in Switzerland.
soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 05:02 PM   #11
bac
Senior Member
 
bac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Bikes: Too many to list!
Posts: 7,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violineb
Where are these pictures from? THey´re amazing I bet if you had some Nokian Extreme 294s or 296 then you could ride when the cars aren´t
Trust me, with the Nokians you would be able to actually ride up, and over those cars! I will never run anything else in the winter again!

bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 08:35 PM   #12
AndrewP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Montreal
Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
Posts: 6,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice pictures. How do you get multiple photos into a post with the thumnails?
AndrewP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-05, 01:47 AM   #13
Max
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soda
It appears that it happened in Switzerland.
You are absolutely right. Photos were taken at Versoix in January 2005.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-05, 01:52 AM   #14
Max
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Nice pictures. How do you get multiple photos into a post with the thumnails?
I just added attachments and that's all. I did not do anything special.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-05, 01:49 AM   #15
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie
 
Juha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Bikes:
Posts: 6,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violineb
Where are these pictures from? THey´re amazing I bet if you had some Nokian Extreme 294s or 296 then you could ride when the cars aren´t
Sadly, Nokian make studded winter tyres for cars, too. But methinks they are not street legal in Switzerland. Studded winter tyres "eat pavement for breakfast", as someone put it in another thread, so the Swiss prefer snow chains.

--J
__________________
To err is human. To moo is bovine.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?


Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Juha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-05, 01:57 AM   #16
Max
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Provided of course, I did not leave my bike next to those cars all night.
You could at least bring the bike inside a warm space for a while.

But I can not think of any way to free that cars.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-05, 02:00 AM   #17
Max
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha
Sadly, Nokian make studded winter tyres for cars, too. But methinks they are not street legal in Switzerland. Studded winter tyres "eat pavement for breakfast", as someone put it in another thread, so the Swiss prefer snow chains.

--J
I have no idea. I do not own a car for years already, and I am in CH only recently.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-05, 05:00 AM   #18
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est
 
iamlucky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
Posts: 2,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dang. I thought it was neat last year when my car had an inch of ice on it. That's incredible. The thermal stresses though...*shudder* I wonder if any of them had warped paneling after it melted.
__________________
"The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad
iamlucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-05, 05:34 AM   #19
ZackJones
On Your Right
 
ZackJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's a picture of my Xterra covered in ice from this past weekend. We also had the pleasure (not!) of spending about 24 hours with no electricity

ZackJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-05, 08:47 AM   #20
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,621
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlucky13
Dang. I thought it was neat last year when my car had an inch of ice on it. That's incredible. The thermal stresses though...*shudder* I wonder if any of them had warped paneling after it melted.
How did you get your car out of it? How long did it take? It looks like these guys can't even move the cars until a natural thaw?
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-05, 08:38 PM   #21
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est
 
iamlucky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
Posts: 2,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't need to go anywhere. I waited 3 or 4 days until it got above freezing, then broke it off. It was kinda fun. I got the side windows clear, then lifted on the section on the roof. It all seperated from the windshield section at once and the inch of ice that had been on the roof, rear window, and hood all slid off in 2 or 3 big pieces really easily which crashed onto the ground and broke up in a very gratifying shower of fragments.

Here's a picture of someone's Trek Navigator chained up behind the engineering building. The ice was still accumulating at that point.
__________________
"The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad
iamlucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 02:26 AM   #22
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie
 
Juha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Bikes:
Posts: 6,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That bike needs to be set free!

--J
__________________
To err is human. To moo is bovine.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?


Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Juha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 03:16 AM   #23
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,621
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlucky13
I didn't need to go anywhere. I waited 3 or 4 days until it got above freezing, then broke it off. It was kinda fun. I got the side windows clear, then lifted on the section on the roof. It all seperated from the windshield section at once and the inch of ice that had been on the roof, rear window, and hood all slid off in 2 or 3 big pieces really easily which crashed onto the ground and broke up in a very gratifying shower of fragments.

Here's a picture of someone's Trek Navigator chained up behind the engineering building. The ice was still accumulating at that point.
Amazing! I won't take having a garage for granted as much anymore. I have been through a couple of ice storms but my vehicles were not affected. wow!
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-05, 03:12 AM   #24
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est
 
iamlucky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
Posts: 2,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Amazing! I won't take having a garage for granted as much anymore. I have been through a couple of ice storms but my vehicles were not affected. wow!
Your garage would be only half the formula. You would have to have studded tires, too. Chains would not suffice. We had a cold air mass trapped beneath a warm mass. The gentle rain froze almost as fast as it fell, so the last few drops were creating a superthin layer of liquid water on top of the smooth frozen surface. It was slick enough to make even the finest teflon surface seem like asphalt. The city of Portland didn't have enough equipment to clear all the roads in a timely manner, and those that were cleared were quickly covered with new buildup.

The frustrating part was walking. Before the rain started, it snowed 6 inches, creating a gorgeous, but slightly uneven surface. People walked and drove in the snow, creating major dips and rolls. The ice on top made any footprint or tiretrack another chance to fall butt-first onto the rockhard surface in an embarrassing display of flailing arms. Still I was enjoying the spectacle of the weather and time off work.

Then my internet connection died.
__________________
"The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad
iamlucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-05, 09:49 AM   #25
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,621
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlucky13
Your garage would be only half the formula. You would have to have studded tires, too. Chains would not suffice. We had a cold air mass trapped beneath a warm mass. The gentle rain froze almost as fast as it fell, so the last few drops were creating a superthin layer of liquid water on top of the smooth frozen surface. It was slick enough to make even the finest teflon surface seem like asphalt. The city of Portland didn't have enough equipment to clear all the roads in a timely manner, and those that were cleared were quickly covered with new buildup.

The frustrating part was walking. Before the rain started, it snowed 6 inches, creating a gorgeous, but slightly uneven surface. People walked and drove in the snow, creating major dips and rolls. The ice on top made any footprint or tiretrack another chance to fall butt-first onto the rockhard surface in an embarrassing display of flailing arms. Still I was enjoying the spectacle of the weather and time off work.

Then my internet connection died.
Yikes! The only thing I have studded tires on is one of my bikes. It makes glare ice about like riding on a dirt road. It's incedibly easy. the harder and smoother the ice the better the studs dig in. I ride on the lakes every winter. Going slowly one can ride over 3" deep footprints easily and lots of ice bumps, but a deep rut almost parallel to your direction of travel will be pretty hard to get past. As you say, if I try to get off the bike I can't walk ,I'm stranded. Then I have to get back on the bike. I need to stud my shoes. Of course if there is deep snow it's too hard to pedal, and if it's crust on top and you break through that's too hard to pedal too.
So that means you have to stay and use the computer, but no internet. that stinks!
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 AM.