Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized design Full Force
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Looks like I may have some sleuthing to do...

    Went to drop off a sport coat at the cleaners... When I came back I discovered that apparently some time within the past several days someone repeatedly struck my driver's side window with something hard enough to leave superficial marks in the glass and repeatedly scratch and nick the chrome trim surrounding it.

    It kind of looks like someone was just trying to mark up the window with a snow scraper or something. It is double paned and laminated glass, so suppose it's plausible that someone was trying to break it and couldn't, but it seriously looks like they took a good twenty swings or more based on the multiple notches in the trim.

    Unless I didn't realize it for almost a week, the only time I can think of it possibly happening my doors were unlocked and nothing is missing, so I'm thinking the motivation wasn't theft. I was also in a private parking lot only used by maybe 5 people, 2 of which are good friends. And the only other place it could have happened it was parked directly in front of a friend's house whose neighbor is a cop, in a nice neighborhood, and it was basically being watched the entire time. I have my own garage at my place...I'm puzzled. And pissed.

  2. #2
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I think Couch did it when he was all messed up from licking stamps and envelopes.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  3. #3
    Pentapointed Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,360
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll bet you're pissed!

    But maybe it happened even longer ago. When was the last time you personally washed that window?

  4. #4
    Chepooka StupidlyBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Posts
    1,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Roach eggs will scratch glass, right? Somewhere around 3.14 squared on the Mohs scale.

  5. #5
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    I'll bet you're pissed!

    But maybe it happened even longer ago. When was the last time you personally washed that window?
    whatever.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized design Full Force
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    I'll bet you're pissed!

    But maybe it happened even longer ago. When was the last time you personally washed that window?
    Less than two weeks ago... But I always look my car over pretty closely. I'm obsessed with the thing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized design Full Force
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    I think Couch did it when he was all messed up from licking stamps and envelopes.
    I wouldn't doubt it, that glue killed Costanza's fiance.

  8. #8
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    I'll bet you're pissed!

    But maybe it happened even longer ago. When was the last time you personally washed that window?
    whatever

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized design Full Force
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    upon closer inspection it looks like a stick may have been the object used. The marks on the window, which I cannot get off, are slightly brown.

  10. #10
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenzFanatic View Post
    Went to drop off a sport coat at the cleaners... When I came back I discovered that apparently some time within the past several days someone repeatedly struck my driver's side window with something hard enough to leave superficial marks in the glass and repeatedly scratch and nick the chrome trim surrounding it.

    It kind of looks like someone was just trying to mark up the window with a snow scraper or something. It is double paned and laminated glass, so suppose it's plausible that someone was trying to break it and couldn't, but it seriously looks like they took a good twenty swings or more based on the multiple notches in the trim.

    Unless I didn't realize it for almost a week, the only time I can think of it possibly happening my doors were unlocked and nothing is missing, so I'm thinking the motivation wasn't theft. I was also in a private parking lot only used by maybe 5 people, 2 of which are good friends. And the only other place it could have happened it was parked directly in front of a friend's house whose neighbor is a cop, in a nice neighborhood, and it was basically being watched the entire time. I have my own garage at my place...I'm puzzled. And pissed.
    What do you mean, doubled paned? I've never heard of that on a car. What are you? A gangster? Or someone who lives at the North Pole?

    And a stick causing scratches on glass. C'mon. What's really going on here?
    Dream. Dare. Do.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized design Full Force
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well as I told my friends, it is most likely some sort of government conspiracy. And as I understand it, the glass is for sound insulation, the laminate for heat insulation.

  12. #12
    Strong with the Fred Big_e's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    969
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you was at the cleaners, An earlier customer came by your car wih an armload of their dryclean and the wire hangers brushed by the car. Some people like me do 3 weeks worth of drycleaning at a time. I've seen people carry their clothes over the arm instead of by the hangers.
    I love pho long time.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized design Full Force
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good suggestion, but couldn't be. I was literally 10 ft from the car and watching it the entire 1 minute I was in there and the only person that left was parked elsewhere.

  14. #14
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Was it cold. Maybe they used a frozen piece of human feces to bang on your window, hence the brown residue. Can you see any corn?
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  15. #15
    Cool Beans MangoPumpkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Cadent
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    Was it cold. Maybe they used a frozen piece of human feces to bang on your window, hence the brown residue. Can you see any corn?
    Vom.
    I've got your restraining order right here. [grabs crotch] Restrain this!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •