Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 358
  1. #126
    Senior Member himespau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7,493
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well maybe I didn't wrap it entirely around a tree, but I did manage to hit a tree hard enough that it pushed the engine back far enough to bend the axle pretty severely. Was driving home late one night in a hurry to get to some homework and the road transitioned from pavement to dirt right as it made a 90 degree turn. I'd managed to take the corner at speed a few times before with a little fishtailing but no problem, but this time it had just rained, I was 16 and stupid, couldn't keep the rear end under control and had probably just shifted into fourth, and had both hands on the wheel and couldn't downshift because no power steering meant I had to use all my strength to control the wheel. The bald front right tire (misaligned) caught up with me and I went boom into a tree. Tried to restart it so I could back up and keep going, and I couldn't figure out why the engine didn't catch. I was in shock, not drunk, as I don't (and didn't) drink. But yeah, didn't think that was possible, but I was a dumb 16 year old kid in 1995. I couple months later on an icy hill, I braked too hard too fast and put another car on its side at the bottom of a 10 foot ditch trying to avoid some deer late one night (had to climb up the passenger seat like a ladder and throw open the door), but that time there was no damage to the car as it landed in the snow (a yard or two either way and I would have had an oak tree in my lap) and I haven't had any accidents since then. I guess I got all my stupid out of the way when I was young.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"


  2. #127
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,954
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have owned a fair number of vehicles and most of the American made ones, save for my Thunderbird, were all money pits as they always needed something fixed... we had a Dodge Spirit several Ford minivans which were all crap and for a while I had a Buick Regal that was a looker and could really tear it up but it spent way too much time in the shop getting little things fixed. I owned a V6 Camaro for a while as I took that in trade for some work... was not that bad of a car save for being a cop magnet.

    I had a 1980 Dodge Aspen that I bought from my sister after high school, aside from having to replace the torque convertor once, that car was as reliable as they came and ran out to 500,000 km before I sold it... it had a 225 slant 6 which had a lot to do with that.

    My Toyotas (a 1976 Land Cruiser and a 1986 4-Runner) were absolutely bombproof over more than half a million km, my 89 Nissan Sentra was given to the boy when it had 1,100,000 km on the odometer and it was still purring, my VW Rabbit was also great.

    The current Sentra is a 1993 and has almost 250,000 km on it and my mechanic says the car ruins perfectly, it has never leaked or burned a drop of anything, and it is just a little banged up... it is a great car on the highway as it rides very nicely and is almost sporty in it's handling.

    My first car was a VW Beetle... it was a total chick magnet and un-killable.

  3. #128
    Wookie Fred chewybrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    East Florida
    My Bikes
    '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    ... my mechanic says the car ruins perfectly...
    So it's falling apart exactly as intended?
    Campione Del Mondo Immaginario

  4. #129
    smorenivore colorider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    My Bikes
    '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    355
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    I have owned a fair number of vehicles and most of the American made ones, save for my Thunderbird, were all money pits as they always needed something fixed... we had a Dodge Spirit several Ford minivans which were all crap and for a while I had a Buick Regal that was a looker and could really tear it up but it spent way too much time in the shop getting little things fixed. I owned a V6 Camaro for a while as I took that in trade for some work... was not that bad of a car save for being a cop magnet.

    I had a 1980 Dodge Aspen that I bought from my sister after high school, aside from having to replace the torque convertor once, that car was as reliable as they came and ran out to 500,000 km before I sold it... it had a 225 slant 6 which had a lot to do with that.

    My Toyotas (a 1976 Land Cruiser and a 1986 4-Runner) were absolutely bombproof over more than half a million km, my 89 Nissan Sentra was given to the boy when it had 1,100,000 km on the odometer and it was still purring, my VW Rabbit was also great.

    The current Sentra is a 1993 and has almost 250,000 km on it and my mechanic says the car ruins perfectly, it has never leaked or burned a drop of anything, and it is just a little banged up... it is a great car on the highway as it rides very nicely and is almost sporty in it's handling.

    My first car was a VW Beetle... it was a total chick magnet and un-killable.
    Nice. I just retired my Honda Accord (335,000 miles) for a Toyota RAV4 - hope the toyota lasts similarly.
    One does not simply ride their bike into Mordor! - electrik

  5. #130
    Senior Member no motor?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    3,891
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  6. #131
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,226
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The eyelashes on that car reminds me of my step-sisters Karmann Ghia. After it got punched in the nose, I noticed that the ding looked like a pair of lips. So with her permission, I painted lips over the ding, and completed the custom work by putting eyelashes over the headlights.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  7. #132
    absent Ferrous Bueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one of these:

    Probably the ugliest car I've owned.
    Probably also the best. Went through deep snow like a SkiDoo.

  8. #133
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,954
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrous Bueller View Post
    I had one of these:

    Probably the ugliest car I've owned.
    Probably also the best. Went through deep snow like a SkiDoo.
    Probably because it was a Mitsubishi... seems like for some time American manufacturers realized they just could not build a small economical car like the Japanese so partnered with them to provide re-badged models for the U.S. market.

    Both of my Sentras have been excellent in the snow... with some great winter tyres I have driven across most of the passes her in pretty severe conditions and have passed all wheel drive vehicles that were not quite as successful in managing.

  9. #134
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,954
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chewybrian View Post
    So it's falling apart exactly as intended?
    Or that I have fingers that are too fat for my netbook keys...

  10. #135
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    You have to work hard to top the 1967 Mohs Ostentatiene Opera Sedan.

    Isn't that the car Homer Simpson designed for his brother?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  11. #136
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
    I hope Yvonne Craig realizes she's gonna get a parking ticket...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  12. #137
    Why not? EthanYQX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    My Bikes
    Giant STP 2
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The G500 is the awesomest thing ever.
    "It is not the critic who counts."

  13. #138
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized design Full Force
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    g500?
    Talking about the G-wagen or something else? I know I've posted it in the other thread, but despite being an awesome vehicle, the G definitely belongs here.

  14. #139
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,727
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by himespau View Post
    Well maybe I didn't wrap it entirely around a tree, but I did manage to hit a tree hard enough that it pushed the engine back far enough to bend the axle pretty severely. Was driving home late one night in a hurry to get to some homework and the road transitioned from pavement to dirt right as it made a 90 degree turn. I'd managed to take the corner at speed a few times before with a little fishtailing but no problem, but this time it had just rained, I was 16 and stupid, couldn't keep the rear end under control and had probably just shifted into fourth, and had both hands on the wheel and couldn't downshift because no power steering meant I had to use all my strength to control the wheel. The bald front right tire (misaligned) caught up with me and I went boom into a tree. Tried to restart it so I could back up and keep going, and I couldn't figure out why the engine didn't catch. I was in shock, not drunk, as I don't (and didn't) drink. But yeah, didn't think that was possible, but I was a dumb 16 year old kid in 1995. I couple months later on an icy hill, I braked too hard too fast and put another car on its side at the bottom of a 10 foot ditch trying to avoid some deer late one night (had to climb up the passenger seat like a ladder and throw open the door), but that time there was no damage to the car as it landed in the snow (a yard or two either way and I would have had an oak tree in my lap) and I haven't had any accidents since then. I guess I got all my stupid out of the way when I was young.
    It's all right. When I was in college, I backed my '89 Civic out of a one-car garage with the doors open.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I openSUSE: III

  15. #140
    Senior Member himespau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7,493
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
    It's all right. When I was in college, I backed my '89 Civic out of a one-car garage with the doors open.
    For a second, I thought to myself, what's wrong with that? Don't you want the garage door to be open when you back out? Then I got it. Ouch.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"


  16. #141
    Senior Member JonnyHK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hong Kong
    My Bikes
    Baum Romano, Colossi xCr, Lynskey Crosstown
    Posts
    1,937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cowbell View Post
    Nevermind the VW - is that a 1971 Corolla?

    I learned to drive in one of those.

  17. #142
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    225
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nash Metropolitan:



    Soem folks think they're cute, but not me. I got to drive one of these for about 6 months while a friend was overseas; he'd rebuilt it and said it was in great shape. It had a 4-cylinder engine that could only get it going about 60mph top speed, and it didn't feel safe even a 40 mph.

  18. #143
    Extra Medium Member redtires's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Louisville, Co
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix 1.0 (Sampson Kalispell Ti GONE); VooDoo Wanga (Specialized Stumpy: GONE)
    Posts
    1,601
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgoat View Post
    Isn't that the car Homer Simpson designed for his brother?

    Yep!
    Coming to you from and brought to you by:
    Department of redundancy department.

  19. #144
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    ohio
    My Bikes
    Surly long haul trucker and steamroller
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think the toyota prius and honda insight ar uglier than 95% of the cars pictured in this thread
    Roy
    Every breath I Have ever taken as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

  20. #145
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,954
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skidder View Post
    The Nash Metropolitan:



    Soem folks think they're cute, but not me. I got to drive one of these for about 6 months while a friend was overseas; he'd rebuilt it and said it was in great shape. It had a 4-cylinder engine that could only get it going about 60mph top speed, and it didn't feel safe even a 40 mph.
    My friend inherited one from his grandfather who was a brilliant enough mechanic to have spent his time on other projects.

    We did get it out a few times and it sure was a conversation starter... of course it was so slow we could have conversations with joggers as they ran.

  21. #146
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,727
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by himespau View Post
    For a second, I thought to myself, what's wrong with that? Don't you want the garage door to be open when you back out? Then I got it. Ouch.
    Now that I read it, it was an ambiguous sentence.

    I did once back my dad's '92 Escort into the garage door when I forgot to open it once. Also in college, oddly enough.

    Maybe I should be thankful to have a carport now.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I openSUSE: III

  22. #147
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,763
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a hard core Jeep fan, but this is sacrilege on so many levels.... 2014 Jeep Cherokee.

    It is too hideous to post a pic.
    Last edited by no1mad; 04-07-13 at 01:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  23. #148
    ^ JBC. jbchybridrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    adelaide, australia
    Posts
    1,896
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skidder View Post
    The Nash Metropolitan:


    I've never driven one of the above but it can't be much worse than a FSM Niki crap box!

    2010 Custom Carbon JBC, 1990 Ricardo Pinnacle, 1988 Ricardo Elite, 1983 Ricardo Varsity, 1990 Peugeot Hurricane, 1977 Dawes Galaxy GT, 2007 Pinarello F3-13, Custom aussie made 1980 Columbus SL racer, 1975 Calton Rapide, 1995 Olympia Fusari, 1993 Basso Viper.

  24. #149
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized design Full Force
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Not a hard core Jeep fan, but this is sacrilege on so many levels.... 2014 Jeep Cherokee.

    It is too hideous to post a pic.
    Looked it up, vomited in my mouth a little

  25. #150
    Senior Member trackhub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Posts
    1,901
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    A VERY bad year in the automotive world....very bad!!

    Ahh yes, the only car in history to develop body rust while sitting in the dealers' lots.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •